Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2017 7:34:09 PM EDT
going to be going to be staying the night in Caseville IL cheapo Motel and going to see Cahokia Mounds the next day.

What do I do in St Louis, being that I'll be arriving after 5 PM?

Thinking St Louis Art Museum and Jefferson Expansion Memorial (St Louis arch)

other ideas?

Places to eat?  I like cheap with character.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT EAT THE PIZZA.  St. Louis pizza is a cult food and it SUX!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Wherever Skip Steele is cooking BBQ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Broadway Oyster Bar

Blues City Deli

Blackthorn Pub PIZZA will take about an hour to prepare and cook but you can drink beer and know you've been in one of the best dive bars in the city and leave knowing you've eaten some of the best PIZZA south of Chicago.

Maya Cafe in Maplewood.

Schafly's downtown or The Tap Room in Maplewood.

Onesto's in South City which also has incredible PIZZA.

You could wander a few blocks south of the Science Museum and pick from one of a dozen or so of the finest Italian food restaruants in the city in The Hill neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have kids, then the Zoo and the arch are must see locations.

Fot Italian food, a section of St. Louis called the Hill is where you need to go.

which is really close to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.

If you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can try 401 Chophouse in Clayton.  I think the 401 Fish House is right across the street.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Joes KC
Get a Z-man.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you're not going just to see Cahokia Mounds. It's a big dirt pile that resembles any landfill mound you've ever scene. Also Cahokia is basically a suburb of East Saint Louis so prepare to be culturally enriched.

For food go to The Hill, get some toasted ravioli and you're welcome. Saint Louis pizza sucks unless you like square cut thin crust covered in cheese that smells like a hobos dick. The BBQ is meh but toasted ravioli is a Saint Louis staple and worth sampling.

If you have kids with you The City Museum is well worth a visit. Six Flags is also nearby and that location has more roller coasters than any other amusement park in America. The zoo is one of the top 3 in the nation and free admission. The science center blows so don't bother unless you want to be bored to tears. The Arch is also meh. Just imagine an airplane cabin without seats at a few hundred feet and you get the idea. You even get to go through TSA style security for the privilege of seeing it. Grants Farm is also worth a visit if you have time. It's free admission and you get free beer at the hospitality center. IM me with any specific questions. I grew up there and am in the city weekly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Broadway Oyster Bar

Blues City Deli

Blackthorn Pub PIZZA will take about an hour to prepare and cook but you can drink beer and know you've been in one of the best dive bars in the city and leave knowing you've eaten some of the best PIZZA south of Chicago.

Maya Cafe in Maplewood.

Schafly's downtown or The Tap Room in Maplewood.

Onesto's in South City which also has incredible PIZZA.

You could wander a few blocks south of the Science Museum and pick from one of a dozen or so of the finest Italian food restaruants in the city in The Hill neighborhood.
View Quote
There's also The Shaved Duck. I eat there whenever I'm in the area and it's always excellent. You could cross the river into Illinois and go to the Oyster Bar in Grafton. It's a floating restaurant on The Mississippi with unusual menu items but all are tasty. If you go I recommend the Alligator Tacos.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Pappy's downtown is good for smoked meat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Cunnetto House of Pasta
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Heat out to the other side of town and riot? :D
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Six Flags is also nearby and that location has more roller coasters than any other amusement park in America.
View Quote
Not even close.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Museum of Transportation

Budweiser brewery.  The two small free beers you get at the end of the tour are actually pretty good.  They should sell that stuff!

Cahokia Indian Mounds - its about 20-30 miles east in souther IL.   From the top of the big pyramid mound, you can see the Arch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Eat at one of the restaurants on the hill.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hacienda for Mex.
Kreis' for Prime Rib.  Wear a shirt with a collar.
Carl's for a burger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Rigazzis on the hill
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
You didn't see the signs on I-70 directing visitors to historic Ferguson
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not even close.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Six Flags is also nearby and that location has more roller coasters than any other amusement park in America.
Not even close.
And it's One Flags now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Bogarts was real good When i was there last month. Close to the arch. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't listen to this guy - emos is worth a try.  Some like the provolone, some don't.  Either way it's worth trying.  Lots of good italian places on the hill. Pm me if you want me to send a few
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rigazzis on the hill
View Quote
yep, doesn't look like much but the foods great and they are known for their fish bowl size beers.
Cheshire Inn in Clayton has a great restaurant but spendy.

things to do.

grants farm is a nice couple of hour tour and you also get free beer at the end.  the AB brewery tour, free beer also,  you can do both in one day.
city museum or zoo if you have kids. both are great.  arch as well.  

a semi casual restaurant in Forest Park is the Boat House, nice place to sit and watch the sun set.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Even if you don't have kids the STL zoo is consistently rated one of the best in the country, and as mentioned its free. Its in forest park near a great science center too. Forest Park also has a really great art museum.

If you do have kids the City Museum is a great place. Don't let the name fool you, its a big playground. laumeier sculpture is an interesting place and not too far out. Grant's Farm is worth considering. The Delmar loop is a fun place to walk and look around and grab a snack.

There's some great bbq here. Big names are Sugar Fire, Pappy's, and Bogart's. A short drive from downtown across the river in Belleville, IL is Beast BBQ and their reputation is stellar.

Less traditional joints with great BBQ and a great reputation would be Salt & Smoke, Shaved Duck, and Iron Barley.

Outside of BBQ, Crown Candy Kitchen's BLT is legendary. O'Connell's burgers are a favorite. The Scottish Arms is great if you love scotch. Be sure to order some toasted ravioli somewhere and take a gooey butter cake home with you. Ted Drewes is famous for their frozen custard.  Enjoy your gooey butter cake and t-ravs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mmmm....Frito pie.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heat out to the other side of town and riotget murdered? :D
View Quote
Do not cross the river, or hang around the neighborhoods near the zoo, or frankly leave your hotel after dark.

Unless your hotel is down town.  Hoodies can't afford it there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mmmm....Frito pie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mmmm....Frito pie.
Again, just go where Skip Steele is cooking BBQ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
+100 for Pappy's ribs downtown easy on and off the interstate too. Prepare for a line though. Maybe Mike will toss you a rib while in line!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
+100 for Pappy's ribs downtown easy on and off the interstate too. Prepare for a line though. Maybe Mike will toss you a rib while in line!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're making me hungry! The lines long, but it gives you lots of smells! Gives your clothes time to soak it up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you have kids, then the Zoo and the arch are must see locations.

Fot Italian food, a section of St. Louis called the Hill is where you need to go.

which is really close to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.

If you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can try 401 Chophouse in Clayton.  I think the 401 Fish House is right across the street.
View Quote
Anything on the Hill which is out west but downtown is Charlie Gitto's which is some of the best authentic Italian you'll eat. I heard Mike Shannon's was closing in downtown which is a shame. Hell for pizza I don't think you can beat Imo's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Johnnys.  Google first if you have wife/kids.

Mcgurks for nice patio atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#30]
No need for St. Louis.

What you want to do is head down 40/Collinsville road and go to Tienda El Maguey or venture a little farther to Tienda El Ranchito.

I would recommend TEM.  Great food, great staff.  You are 5 min away. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are defective.  STL pizza is gold.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Fitz's Root Beer float.  They brew their own root beer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Eat cow brains, I think STL is the only place that serves cow brains
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh, hell how could I leave out Ted Drewe's for some frozen custard deliciousness!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rigazzis on the hill
View Quote
https://favazzas.com/

https://www.charliegittos.com/

Both of these are on The Hill too and worth your money in my opinion if you want Italian.

If you plan to go to The Hill to eat on a Sunday, check your restaurant choice is actually open Sunday's.

If your crossing from IL to MO on south end near Jefferson Barracks, I would.definitely recommend Cafe Telegraph. We've never had a bad meal there, pretty much everything on the menu is great, but the brined chicken and the HUGE pork steak are IMO particularly good.

http://www.cafetelegraph.com/

If your closer in and like bikes, there's the Triumph Grill (okay but not 5 star) which is next to the Moto Museum.

http://www.themotomuseum.com/
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't listen to this weirdo.

Yes, eat the pizza. We have the best pizza ever.

My restaurant recommendation.....DB's. Great food, and great scenery.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ketchup on a cracker is not pizza. and neither is soggy casserole they serve up north.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Johnnys.  Google first if you have wife/kids.

Mcgurks for nice patio atmosphere.
View Quote
Both are in the historic Soulard area, we like to park near Soulard farmers market on a Saturday, visit the market, wander around Soulard and visit the bars and restaurants for the day.  The area hosts the second largest Mardis Gras celebration in the country.  You will be very near Anheuser Busch brewery so go on a free tour of a huge brewery.  Even if you don't like the beer (Yes you get to try some) the tour is cool.
As others have said visit the zoo (Also near Soulard) it's one of the top zoos in the world.

Do not go to North St. Louis!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't go to Rigazzi's, not very good anymore.  After 5pm, I'd go to Broadway Oyster Bar, it's got character and isn't very expensive (portions seem smaller now though). You can also stay and enjoy live music, better if no kids are with you.  Bogart's is good for BBQ, Gioias Deli for Hot Salami,  and Crown Candy is unique and good for Milk Shakes and an awesome BLT - all lunch places.

Really need some more details to offer any other suggestions. Also,  DB's and Johnny's are good places if you don't have any kids with you. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Don't listen to this weirdo.

Yes, eat the pizza. We have the best pizza ever.

My restaurant recommendation.....DB's. Great food, and great scenery.
View Quote
So many of these guys have been brought up on shitty, rubbery pizza, and arguing Domino's vs. Pizza Hut that a good STL pizza probably just shocked their senses.

Ghetto people raised on McDonalds don't like a good cheeseburger either. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ketchup on a cracker is not pizza. and neither is soggy casserole they serve up north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't tell the difference in hand tossed crust vs. a "cracker" or homemade sauce vs. "ketchup" your opinion on food means nothing.  Or maybe you are just a huge drama queen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Even if you don't have kids the STL zoo is consistently rated one of the best in the country, and as mentioned its free. Its in forest park near a great science center too. Forest Park also has a really great art museum.

If you do have kids the City Museum is a great place. Don't let the name fool you, its a big playground. laumeier sculpture is an interesting place and not too far out. Grant's Farm is worth considering. The Delmar loop is a fun place to walk and look around and grab a snack.

There's some great bbq here. Big names are Sugar Fire, Pappy's, and Bogart's. A short drive from downtown across the river in Belleville, IL is Beast BBQ and their reputation is stellar.

Less traditional joints with great BBQ and a great reputation would be Salt & Smoke, Shaved Duck, and Iron Barley.

Outside of BBQ, Crown Candy Kitchen's BLT is legendary. O'Connell's burgers are a favorite. The Scottish Arms is great if you love scotch. Be sure to order some toasted ravioli somewhere and take a gooey butter cake home with you. Ted Drewes is famous for their frozen custard.  Enjoy your gooey butter cake and t-ravs.
View Quote
Came to post this.

Also, across the river in Alton IL is a cool place called Fast Eddies Bon-Air.  Fun place.  Bring cash.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a gold turd... st Louis pizza absolutely sucks ass...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#44]
The art museum and the zoo are both top notch and free.
The tour boats that give a tour of the riverfront are good value--about $15 for an hour-long tour.
You should try to go up in the Arch and/or tour the Anheuser Busch brewery
Down the hill from the Art Museum in Forest Park is the boathouse restaurant. It's pretty good.
Other than that, for cheap and good you should stick to barbecue--Pappy's or Bogart's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, sorry.  You are just accustomed to eating garbage pizza.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#46]
If you like motorcycles (especially vintage dirt bikes) the Mungenast museum is amazing and free.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#48]
If you have younger kids then I'd vote for the zoo and City Museum.  You can spend a day at just one of the two.  The zoo is close to a couple museums in forest park.    My kids like Fitzs for burgers and rootbeer.

Farther out of town is a 12" gauge live steam engine park open on Sundays only. The Wabash, Frisco, and Pacific Association    http://www.wfprr.com

Transportation museum is ok.  Last time we went the subway car you can ride on derailed while  we were on it.  A switch threw to a side track after the front wheels went over.  We ran 2 tracks for a bit drifting until we came off the rails. The kids loved it.  I don't think they do it on demand.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for City Museum. Fun for all ages and an architectural/artistic marvel. I had to come to grips with my claustrophobia a couple of times there.

The Missouri History Museum is pretty cool for a freebie.

For breakfast hit up World's Fair Donuts. Cheap and good. Bring cash though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I feel like I'm the only one that likes St Louis-style pizza. They use "Provel" cheese which is a special mix of Provolone & Mozarella. Really only served in the StL (and IL) area.  It's different but worth a try. I like to get it light cheese and extra sauce.

Get some at an IMO's restaurant. And you can get "toasted ravioli" there too.  It's not that much worse than something on The Hill.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top