Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Update
It's working well but the main unit thermostat is reporting temperature that is about 5 degrees cooler than reality

I emailed ecobee and waiting on reply
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No kidding. My house, no spying allowed, thank you very much.
View Quote
You have a cell phone... what else would they need?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see you said no to Google...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Update
Tech support seems to be falling short

They've replied and think I'm talking about the local outside weather temperature

I rephrased and clarified and will see what they say
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#5]
what furnace do you currently have?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what furnace do you currently have?
View Quote
I am in Florida. What's a furnace?

JK - it's a heat pump and has electric auxiliary heat strips
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honeywell lyric FTW
View Quote
Not at all the same experience I had with the lyric thermostat.

I put my old one back on after 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nest saves money over the traditional programmable stats because the eco mode uses sensors to actually detect people at home before kicking off a schedule. Instead of just blindly running because the schedule says so, you have to be present (either through motion sensor or cell phone tracking - both of which can be disabled).
View Quote
Keep falling for the hype....

A/C doesn't work like a battery or a lightbulb.

Its very common knowledge here (Arizona) that you need to keep your thermostat within about 3 degrees or else you are spending way to much energy addressing temp fluxes.  Also its better to keep your house at a constant temperature during longer periods then constantly moving the temp up and down.  Otherwise you are expending tons of energy constantly cooling your house and having your A/C kick on and off constantly.  Kicking on the compressor takes a ton of energy to begin with.

I get having sensors monitor temps in different room because that is one big drawback of having a single location sensor.

The motion sensors, on the other hand, sound like a fun gimmick but not something that follows sound A/C control.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had one for almost a year. I am not convinced its saving me any money. I like the metrics and the ability to program using my phone or webapp but that's doable with far cheaper t-stats. I had a pile of HD gift cards and a rebate from the power company. Would not have bought one otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid question, but let's say I set the NEST to AC for 74 degrees in the house. Once it hits 74 degrees won't it just kick back on once it realizes the temperature has hit 75 degrees? How quick does it go from 74 to lets say 75 degrees? Won't the thermostat always kick the AC back on once it realizes its one degree off?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stupid question, but let's say I set the NEST to AC for 74 degrees in the house. Once it hits 74 degrees won't it just kick back on once it realizes the temperature has hit 75 degrees? How quick does it go from 74 to lets say 75 degrees? Won't the thermostat always kick the AC back on once it realizes its one degree off?
View Quote
IIRC it has a 3 degree swing and then a delay that it has previously calculated for efficiency. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update
It's working well but the main unit thermostat is reporting temperature that is about 5 degrees cooler than reality

I emailed ecobee and waiting on reply
View Quote
You said something about your t-stat being next to a vent. Is the vent excessively cooling it? Mine is close to my TV and it reports a higher room temp when the TV is on for a long period.
Also, find the sensors option in the menu and check to see if it's just reporting an average temperature from the remote sensor(s).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IIRC it has a 3 degree swing and then a delay that it has previously calculated for efficiency. 
View Quote
Cool man thanks. Looks like its 1 degree now, wonder if that is programmable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The next is very attractive, but I seriously doubt that over its life. It would save more than a traditional programmable for most people.  When I lived in an TV, I would have loved a wifi enabled thermostats.  But the nest would have been a royal pain to wield into a 12v system that used public wifi.  RV was unique in that it was only me. And I never ran the AC during the day.  If I could have called in when I left work, it would have been much more tolerable in the evenings.  As it was I would stop by to turn it on then leave for supper or a movie.
---
with the wife and kids, we are here so much that a programmable would be worthless.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just I installed an ecobee 4 when the old programable died.  I love it for the extra sensors,  for once I don't wake up roasting from the a/c cycling on and off.  I have it programmed to use the sensor in the bedroom at night to control the temperature so I sleep like a baby.  But during the "home" time it uses the sensors in only the rooms I am in.  I absolutely love it.

ETA:  I almost forgot, you can also program just the blower to run without the compressor for however many minutes per hour (instead of just "on" like my old thermostat).  Really helps to keep the air from getting too stale during the times when the compressor is not needed, without the blower running constantly.
View Quote
This. I have the ecobee 3 and installed it last Oct. As of my July report, I've saved $182 according to them. I haven't calculated the savings, but wouldn't argue with that number. So in less than a year its paid for itself and multi-room sensors are way better than Nest or the others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Venstar also has thermostats with remote sensors. 

I currently have a goodman with wifi. I think the wifi is a must in any new thermostat. I really like being able to remotely view and control my temps. Due to my schedule I can't just program a 7 day thermostat. So I do it manually, which has been fine with me. 

I have mine set set for a 3 degree swing.
I'm generally fine with leaving the AC off if it's cool and not humid at night I just open some windows with fans and it cools down then shut everything during the day.
It takes 2-4 days of really hot days and nights before that's ineffective and I need the AC. 

My entire electric bill last month was $44 for an aprox 1,500 square foot house. 

The only reason I would consider upgrading is for a remote sensor feature. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Venstar also has thermostats with remote sensors. 

I currently have a goodman with wifi. I think the wifi is a must in any new thermostat. I really like being able to remotely view and control my temps. Due to my schedule I can't just program a 7 day thermostat. So I do it manually, which has been fine with me. 

I have mine set set for a 3 degree swing.
I'm generally fine with leaving the AC off if it's cool and not humid at night I just open some windows with fans and it cools down then shut everything during the day.
It takes 2-4 days of really hot days and nights before that's ineffective and I need the AC. 

My entire electric bill last month was $44 for an aprox 1,500 square foot house. 

The only reason I would consider upgrading is for a remote sensor feature. 
View Quote
The Goodman is the same as the Venstar, and has the same remote connections. The remote sensors are the same, too. I think they are about $17 on Amazon. The Venstar is a pretty hip thermostat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You said something about your t-stat being next to a vent. Is the vent excessively cooling it? Mine is close to my TV and it reports a higher room temp when the TV is on for a long period.
Also, find the sensors option in the menu and check to see if it's just reporting an average temperature from the remote sensor(s).

Good luck.
View Quote
It's 3 feet right above one of two main returns (intakes)

I plugged the hole behind the tstat with plumbers putty and reattached the ecobee3 and now it's only a 3 degree differential from the living room sensor. Which seems logical vs the 5 to 7 deg colder it was previously showing.

Will report back with any savings or issues as they arise.

right now I am trying to figure out some of the more advanced settings like subcool to control humidity and perhaps using the fan / blower without the compressor a few minutes per hour for circulation...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Goodman is the same as the Venstar, and has the same remote connections. The remote sensors are the same, too. I think they are about $17 on Amazon. The Venstar is a pretty hip thermostat.
View Quote
I should have specified wireless remote sensor. 

I think running thermostat wire from the 1st to 2nd floor will be more time and aggravation than a $200 thermostat and some wireless sensors are worth. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:55:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its very common knowledge here (Arizona) that you need to keep your thermostat within about 3 degrees or else you are spending way to much energy addressing temp fluxes.  Also its better to keep your house at a constant temperature during longer periods then constantly moving the temp up and down.  Otherwise you are expending tons of energy constantly cooling your house and having your A/C kick on and off constantly.  Kicking on the compressor takes a ton of energy to begin with.

I get having sensors monitor temps in different room because that is one big drawback of having a single location sensor.

The motion sensors, on the other hand, sound like a fun gimmick but not something that follows sound A/C control.
View Quote
Uh, not sure if you even know exactly what the hype is? Smart stats don't shut off the climate control entirely when people are away - it simply delays running the next scheduled temp change until occupants are detected. So if you have current schedule temp of 81 and then next schedule is 78, the stat won't call for cooling until someone gets home. If it's in the next five minutes, no big deal. If it's in five hours, then the ambient outside temperature has a chance to cool which makes the A/C more efficient. But it still maintains the 81.

If you want to argue the points about keeping a constant temp versus extremely dynamic schedule, be my guest. My point is how smart stats have an advantage over traditional programmables.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
My electric bill proves you wrong. I used to always keep my AC on a constant temp, all the time, only turning it down at night to make it cooler. I kept in on about 69-70 except at night.

Now the Nest has taken over and bumps it up when I'm away, automatically sets to the temp I like when I get home from work, and automatically drops the temp around the time I go to bed.

It has without a doubt saved us money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I should have specified wireless remote sensor. 

I think running thermostat wire from the 1st to 2nd floor will be more time and aggravation than a $200 thermostat and some wireless sensors are worth. 
View Quote
Update- ecobee wireless sensor lost sensitivity. Had to wave hand in front of it to re-activate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm a baller, so I choose to have my home heated to 70 degrees full time. Doesn't matter if I'm home or not, if it's day or night, or anything like that. I want 70 degrees. A nest doesn't help me with that.

View Quote
LOL.  I like your style.

My wife pays the utility bills so I keep that bitch as comfy as I want it(the house, not the wife).  I keep it cold in the summer and warm in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Strangely not one person has demonstrated how much they've saved
View Quote
My $30 programmable has cost me money.  I used to just leave the heat at 60, but now it fires up an hour before I get home.
Same with AC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Update- ecobee wireless sensor lost sensitivity. Had to wave hand in front of it to re-activate.
View Quote
A sensor that detects if you're in the room?

I'm more interested in a sensor that either averages everything or I can choose a specific one. So say for example my bedroom is 4 degrees warmer at the end of the day than my living room because the thermostat is in the living room. But before bed I can have the sensor in my bedroom in use to cool that room. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a programmable, Honeywell T 8000. My wife started working from home 3 years ago so I shut off the set back. Cost 15-20$ more a month in the summer. Negligible in the winter. I was surprised. Been doing HVAC since 1982.  
Also when i come home in the summer I don't wait until 10:00 for the A/C to shut off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A sensor that detects if you're in the room?

I'm more interested in a sensor that either averages everything or I can choose a specific one. So say for example my bedroom is 4 degrees warmer at the end of the day than my living room because the thermostat is in the living room. But before bed I can have the sensor in my bedroom in use to cool that room. 
View Quote
@c7aea15
The ecobee remote sensor is for motion and temperature

I have another remote sensor in the bedroom and I've given it priority for sleeping temperature
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A decent 5/2 programmable thermostat is like 35 dollars from HD.
View Quote
This.  I have a LuxPro PSPA711A, AC scheduled to go off around 9am, back on around 3pm; saves a ton on electricity.

Edit : picked the luxpro because it supported auto-changeover for heat / cooling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#29]
No it wont.  Just buy any 7 day programmable T stat.  .  

How lazy are you guys? A fool and his money.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No it wont.  Just buy any 7 day programmable T stat.  .  

How lazy are you guys? A fool and his money.....
View Quote
Update

My electric reading from 8/22 to 7/24 resulted in a bill of $156.94

Previous month was 207.75
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Update

My electric reading from 8/22 to 7/24 resulted in a bill of $156.94

Previous month was 207.75
View Quote
Update

8/22 to 9/21 = $141.15
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Update

8/22 to 9/21 = $141.15
View Quote
So your electric bill goes down as it gets later in the year and the temperature drops?

Inconceivable.jpg
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Strangely not one person has demonstrated how much they've saved
View Quote
IMHO people spend a couple hundred bucks on something and they will find a way to justify it, one way or another.

You can't really claim your bill went down without comparing it to identical conditions, ie same amount of degree days in the month.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top