Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2017 9:37:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Broke in 2 years
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it.  The cop was found not guilty, right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Broke in 2 years
View Quote
Or quicker than that.  Paradigm change coming up can wipe it out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the insurance company will be jacking up someone's policy rates, let alone other municipalities they insure.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
How'd that work out for OJ in the civil suit?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Broke in 2 years
View Quote
This wasn't your typical thug. Although maybe not to the success level of the people on this fine forum, he sounded like a good guy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Darren Wilson also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This wasn't your typical thug. Although maybe not to the success level of the people on this fine forum, he sounded like a good guy.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Civil trials have a much lower level of culpability required and allow for partial responsibility.  It would not be hard for a jury to see the officer as 50% or less responsible.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck obama.

Just seemed like the thing to say.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, might as well cut a check for the girlfriend and her daughter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.
If what you call a good guy is someone so stoned out of their gourd that they can't comply with simple police orders.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
The really screwed up part in cases like this......

If it was the officer who got shot and killed, with video evidence and 30 eyewitnesses...

his family would not get shit.  

But some thug gets killed doing thug things, and their family
gets a huge payday !!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
what about his ho gf? she get some cash yo?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The really screwed up part in cases like this......

If it was the officer who got shot and killed, with video evidence and 30 eyewitnesses...

his family would not get shit.  

But some thug gets killed doing thug things, and their family
gets a huge payday !!!
View Quote
QFT
Every cop needs to understand this reality and know how governments are willing to sacrifice officer safety to protect their financial resources.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Broke in 2 years
Not that good of a guy. Sitting in a car with his "lady" while she smokes blunts with the kid in the back seat and the windows rolled up makes you a shit stain also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#19]
This is why they YouTube it now instead of rendering first aid. Videos get payout.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not that good of a guy. Sitting in a car with his "lady" while she smokes blunts with the kid in the back seat and the windows rolled up makes you a shit stain also.
View Quote
I guess if you set the bar at "locking your kids in a hot car to go smoke a blunt while they die in the sun", these two were down right pillars of their community. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. I was listening to one of the local conservative radio shows the other day, and even they were questioning the jury's decision in this case. They were watching the video and commenting on it, and were pretty hard on the cop with their comments. It was just surprising because normally these folks are on the side of law enforcement every time there's any sort of controversy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amen.  

I wonder why so few seem to have a huge problem with this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Broke in 2 years
LOL....yeah, okay.

Sits in the car with his bitch smoking a blunt and hotboxing their little kid. Real good guy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Michael Brown's family (shot by cop in Ferguson, MO -- massive rioting ensued) was just awarded $1.5MM in wrongful death suit.

This country is still going nuts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Criminal = beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Civil = Preponderance of the evidence.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit your avatar is creepy as fuck op. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beyond a reasonable doubt vs. more likely than not legal standard. Any QUESTIONABLE police shooting- and this was one, is going to end in a payout, no municipality wants the LA Riots. They would have spent FAR MORE trying to defend the case in court, far more, with much greater risk.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Criminal = beyond a shadowof a reasonable doubt.
Civil = Preponderance of the evidence.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know of a family that got a large sum of money in a wrongful death claim. Even though it was their fault.

Today those $60K cars they bought all those years ago sit in the front yard with weeds growing up around them.

Flat broke.
View Quote
Same here.  Deceased's father showing up for the criminal trial of the officers had to leave to go pay his child support purge or go to jail for a writ of bodily attachment.  This was just a couple months after getting the settlement.  Jewelry, fancy suits and cars, but he was already behind on his child support.  Priorities
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
That guy smoked marijuana. All potheads should be executed by the state!

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As long as happiness is brought by something that I also like.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That guy smoked marijuana. All potheads should be executed by the state!

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As long as happiness is brought by something that I also like.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]

all I am going to post
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of "them" just showed up. Why do you think they call it "dope"???
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
These idiots are going to start trying to turn every traffic stop into the price is right.....and the worst part is, they're being successful at it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm guessing new screens on the porch then piss the rest away! They sure settled fast, guess after the jury realized what a shitstain on the world that guy was they were afraid of another jury in a civil suit would feel the same. Pity the city didn't tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mike Brown family just got $1.5M.

This is why I don't give a shit about civil cases.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Settlements like this have absolutely nothing to do with anyone being right or wrong or whatever.

The local government's insurance company just takes a SWAG at its possible liability in a civil trial and seeks to limit its exposure with the idea that paying a (relative) little now prevents maybe paying a lot later.  The client (local government) doesn't even get a say.

Remember "The Banker" in the game show "Deal Or No Deal'?  That's the insurance company.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Holy shit your avatar is creepy as fuck op. 
View Quote
Just for you smokie....

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#39]
cheaper to settle than to go to court where the court of public opinion will come into play .  We are ruled by the mob these days .
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm okay with this. Castille didn't attack cops, didn't resist arrest, and didn't run. His only crime was smoking a blunt, which is a misdemeanor at worst. It was a tragic accident by a stupid cop.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If what you call a good guy is someone so stoned out of their gourd that they can't comply with simple police orders.
View Quote
How do you know he wasn't complying with their orders any differently than a sober person? The cop screwed up BAD, and I'm sick of people defending him in this case.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Announcing the settlement amounts "in the interest of transparency and full disclosure" is a 4d chess move; everybody remotely acquainted with the recipients, random strangers, and local criminals will do their best to help them "give back to the community."
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How do you know he wasn't complying with their orders any differently than a sober person? The cop screwed up BAD, and I'm sick of people defending him in this case.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Broke in 2 years
You think they gonna hang on to that money that long?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#46]
from just an analytical perspective,  I'd be curious what that settlement really means.

at a guess
$3mm - lawyer fees = $2mm

$2mm - taxes = $1mm

$1mm - current debt and creditors = $900k?

$900k - new car(s) (loaded of course)= $750k

$750k - New tits - new TV - new phone - new everything - weekend celebration party (for remembrance of the dearly departed of course) = $600k?

what's the half life of $600k in windfall for a family that engages or supports lifestyle of smoking pot with the kid in the car?

I'm guessing about 6 months,  Followed by 10 years of "Hey didn't you win a $3mm settlement?"
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Well the car belonged to his mom, so I'm sure she will need another one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
And how long until the girlfriend sues someone over mental anguish to get hers and something for the kid.

I see some new 26" rims and gold paint for everyone's car in the family!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't think there is tax on a lawsuit settlement.  Every "friend" who ever knew the victim will want some of that cash.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Honestly the cop in this case was guilty as hell.  The only shame is that the cop is bankrupt and in jail.  Shot a guy for literally nothing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top