Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 8:41:33 PM EDT
I'm thinking I might like to get into robot repair. In addition to the fact it is going to be a useful skill in the futire, I have a history of copier repair, and I went to a computer repair trade school a long time ago, which is probably useful in any  way now  but it shows that I can do it.

How could I go about getting into the field? There are probably a lot of different kinds of starting points, I need to take a look at them.
I would not like to be on my feet full time, other than that, I don't really know what I want.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You will probably need to work for one of the manufacturers or at a plant that has a lot of them. Not really a 'freelance' business. At GM we had our own people who did installs and repairs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to work with a Kuka robot, I know you can take a class with them to be a light-weight tech (not factory tech).  That's where I'd start.

Also, good choice.  Robotics are the future, I should look into it myself, I'm between jobs.  Maybe we'll take classes together.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I worked at Ford we electricians worked on them, like other machinery. We did not have "special" guys work on them or anybody come in, to work on them, it cost too much.

You could go to a Community college and take a 2 year degree course that has robotics in it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking I might like to get into robot repair. In addition to the fact it is going to be a useful skill in the futire, I have a history of copier repair, and I went to a computer repair trade school a long time ago, which is probably useful in any  way now  but it shows that I can do it.

How could I go about getting into the field? There are probably a lot of different kinds of starting points, I need to take a look at them.
I would not like to be on my feet full time, other than that, I don't really know what I want.
Thanks.
View Quote

A real life Arfcom printer repairman!

To answer your question, an associate's in electrical engineering technology would probably be helpful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You should go to robotics school and then start a school teaching people to teach people to work on robots.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A real life Arfcom printer repairman!
View Quote
Yes. And the copier and printer repair guys in the movies are pretty freakin accurate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a job in the industry, and go to the training schools the manufacturers offer for techs.  Fanuc, ABB, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I would learn Fanuc control systems ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would learn Fanuc control systems ASAP.
View Quote
Ah, I knew I had heard that name before. I just looked it up. My friend has a machine shop in WV. And probably 15 years ago on his suggestion, I went and interviewed with a company that fixes FANUC machines. The drive everyday to get to the office would have been almost 2 hours, so I passed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top