Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 5:17:34 PM EDT
I'm all up in this new house thing, the money that was going into the black hole of guns... now is going into the black hole of home ownership. house and property is in awesome shape, ( it really doesn't NEED anything ) just tons of things we want / want to do  for the new place.

so far this month..

paid the sellers the last $1k payment, for all the house stuff we bought from them. ( fridge, couch, kitchen table, bed, dresser , and lawn mower )
amish made swing for the yard
new pressure washer hose / wand
thompsons water seal
herbicide
fertilizer
door armor, to upgrade front and back doors to resist kicking.
freezer alarm, for power / circuit failure
freezer alarm, high temp type alarm.
new pool.. ( $100.00 above ground pool )  ( hey these things are awesome, basically disposable, and work great for 2-3 years . )
diesel fuel, to run the tractor, to move dirt, to make a level place for the pool. ( I used dirt from where I'm making the parking area, 20'x80 feet wider.
tomato plants.
electric fence to keep raccoons and squirrels out of tomatoes,

in another week...

25 tons of gravel, for the parking expansion, and other uses.
250 large landscaping blocks, for a retaining wall @ $5.50 each.  maybe more.. 5 rows high x 90' plus top caps. will look nice, but $$$

of course this does not include food, utilities, insurance, house payment, etc...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Everything
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sold a house, bought a house. Far far too much to count here. Tools, paint, various services, costs related to transactions, had a vehicular fubar, new lawnmower to replace a lawnmower fubar, roof, siding, porch, doors, a/c and furnace, it's been shitty. Missed a 3 gun match, missed out some training I really wanted, social life dead for months....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sold a house, bought a house. Far far too much to count here. Tools, paint, various services, costs related to transactions, had a vehicular fubar, new lawnmower to replace a lawnmower fubar, roof, siding, porch, doors, a/c and furnace, it's been shitty. Missed a 3 gun match, missed out some training I really wanted, social life dead for months....
View Quote
I hear you !

in the next  year I am planning to buy about $4000.00 in tools alone. to help with remodeling projects to come, and other projects I'm playing with.

welder, air compressor, chop saw, generator, drill press, table top belt sander, cordless impact, cordless drill, cordless skillsaw, cordless sawsall, cordless angle grinder, cordless grease gun, more hand tools, not to mention tractor implements.  and of course, a anvil, and a furnace of some kind and tools for trying my hand at blacksmithing.

year 2.... remove carport from garage, concrete it, rebuild it into a 2 rooms, ) storage / mancave , stock mancave with things I need, ( kegerator, work tables, furniture, huge assed gun safe ) wire it, lights, storage room with shelves, and wall lockers.  work on insulating the garage, and installing drywall, or something over it, get a bunch of cabinets from a remodel to redo garage kitchen area, new stove, new fridge, new freezer.  get a whole house generator, and get it wired, and a 500 gal propane tank.

year 3.  maybe dig my storm shelter finally.

and of course, in the mean time.. what ever furniture, bedding, dishes, etc the woman decides we need.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sold my house a couple of weeks ago.
I'm still renting it back from the new owners until the end of Aug.

Trying to buy a house in AZ but my dog went and died on me so the paperwork got delayed a bit.
I hope to go into escrow next week.

Since I'm tossing out my furniture I guess I will be buying new stuff ASAP after escrow closes.

I hate paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've spent way too much lately. Was at Home Depot looking for mulch.  While walking the store the wife saw a bathroom vanity that included the vanity, sink, and mirror on sale for $120.   Said it would look good in the kids bathroom.  So we picked it up.  Got it home and realized that the bathroom would need new flooring to match
So another trip to Home Depot results in wood look ceramic tile to do the bathroom.  Tile, thin set, and grout was purchased.

Put the tile in and installed vanity with a new faucet. That lead to the wife wanting the taller baseboards.  On to Lowes for baseboard. Got it painted and installed.  New door casings put in as well.

Now she wants to get the same tile for the living room, kitchen, and dining room.

She's already looking for a new vanity for the master bath.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
All for the vacation place, eventually it will be our home.  

Just ordered a ductless ac moments ago.  Free shipping on next day delivery!  But I have to wait till fucking July fucking 5th to get the fucking digital fucking gauge.

Fuck you Amazon prime!.    Then it occurs to me I left my gauge set and vacupump at home anyway and will not be back to vacation property for 4 weeks.  Yeah, fuck  Amazon anyway.  

Last 30 days:
Ladder rack for the cargo trailer.  Needed it last week to haul ladder.  Get it in time but it has stripped threads and have to wait a week for replacements.  

Roundup.  Seems to have killed a bunny and a snake so far.  Weeds are doing fine.  

5' box blade off of craigslist.  The douchebag painted the new, factory blem box, JD green.  But failed to use any primer.  Rusty crappy green is going to look like shit on my Cub.

9x18 trailer trash above ground pool.  I notice the neighbor has since put his property up for sale and moved out.  He reacted too soon.  I'm going to put a high tunnel greenhouse over the pool so it looks like a very respectable pot growing operation.  

I guess I'm THAT neighbor now.  

Front load washing machine, IP phone interface, pole saw, parts for chainsaw, garden tractor battery, shower head, LED light fixture, REOlink security camera, Cisco 24 port business rack mount switch for security cam system(fan is too noisy, need something else), rack mount power strip, 48 port rack mount patch panel, rack for rackmount security crap, planks for my scaffolding.

Next month, going to try and get some beetle killed wood and fab some kitchen cabinets.  If they look good, I'll gut the kitchen, otherwise, I paint the house.  A different neighbor stole my fence a few weeks back so new T-posts are in my future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe $100 in 1 1/2 x 3 1/2's, 3 1/2x3 1/2's and a couple sheets of 11/32" plywood.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Between drywall, floors, insulation, paint, electrician, cabinets, countertop, fireplace and 19 acres worth of fence I'm up to 70k on this goatrodeo of a remodel.

Don't buy an old house in a place that didn't have code until 2006
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
$1071.83
Had some work done on our house.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Stihl SR430 backpack sprayer. No ticks (or mosquitoes) for me.

HL 100 hedge trimmer (discontinued, now the 94). No more ladders for me. Also got a string trimmer attachment meant for a Stihl combination trimmer but it works great.

Also put  in a new toilet. The one  that sucks down a bucket of golf balls.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn long list of nickle and diming me to death stuff.
On the plus side, preparing to sell here in sunny SoCal, and head East!

Should be officially listed tonight/tomorrow.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Fertilizer for gardens, weed and feed for lawns, casaron granules for the rock areas where I don't want feasts to grow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice. Looks great.

Fixed a kitchen sink
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
House is stable.  Just minor maintenance.  Three or four light bulbs in the past month, one window screen, some caulk.  

During my remodel I was at Home Depot 2-3 times a day it seemed.  Now I am there once every 6 months. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
In the middle of moving. We moved cross country from CA to KS. I'm renting a house built in 1863. Great house but man I'm running to Home Depot every day for something.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
$650 for a new water heater that I installed myself

$40 to fix a plumbing issue, bought parts and did it myself.

And $350 for my new chainsaw...

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of little shit, but $6k on a fence
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Let's see in the last two months...
Two new entry doors, knobs, dead bolts
Two new Anderson full length glass storm doors, now mean dogs can sit and scare people
13 windows and one big ass picture window with side slides
180 sq ft of carpet, 220 more once the windows are installed
200 sq ft of lvp
300 ft of baseboard molding
180 ft of crown molding
Plus primer, gallons of wall paint, steal door paint, molding paint, brushes, rollers ect.

Next two 8x7 garage doors...and maybe I'll look into the bathroom and Kitchen...if I'm still breathing
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Roof, siding, gutters and shutters. So about $40k
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Window unit purchased this week for an old garage converted into a room by the previous home owner.  Was starting to get pretty warm in the state of Oklahoma. Best $220 I've spent in a while.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Have spent over $4k in the last month on paint and flooring.

About to spend about another $7k on the kitchen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Dual well filter replacement elements.
Replaced 65 year old galv. water piping with pex.
Additional solar panel for bunker.
Replaced Window a/c unit in loading room.
New gas water heater.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]
wood for shelving
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Ha ahaha

About 50 grand so far in kitchen renovations. Cabinets due in 2 weeks. Shipping. I said 69 boxes are coming. Where the hell am I going to put all of that.  Oh yea I have my dream range and hood sitting in my living room waiting for me to finish the flooring. 10 large worth of Wolf goodness.......
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
A month ago...  Two new furnaces.  Two new Central Air units.  

My A-Hole is still tingling.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#26]
In the middle of a kitchen overhaul. Counter tops, sink, faucet, paint, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Been working on fixing our house up for the past 4 years. It never really ends. We just periodically stop when we run out of home improvement cash.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/Images/Product/2992/sr430.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails

Stihl SR430 backpack sprayer. No ticks (or mosquitoes) for me.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/Images/Product/3043/hl94145.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails

HL 100 hedge trimmer (discontinued, now the 94). No more ladders for me. Also got a string trimmer attachment meant for a Stihl combination trimmer but it works great.

Also put  in a new toilet. The one  that sucks down a bucket of golf balls.
View Quote
I need dat.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I just got a new roof yesterday.  We have a couch coming too but it'll be another week or two until it's here.  $4000 for roof, $2600 for sectional sofa.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I close June 30, so not much in the past 30 days but it is about to be a lot haha
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I hear ya OP.  Ahhh, the joys of home ownership!   We moved into our house 16 months ago, and my bank account has been leaking like a sieve ever since then.  There's always something...and our house was brand new so it's not even repair items.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#32]
We live and work in two different parts of the state.  We've moved out of both houses in the last month and sold another house that was staged.  I fucking hate my life right now.   New flat roof, stucco, and a bunch of other shit.  

Next time I move I'm paying someone.  I don't care if I'm just going next door.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
installed the door armor today..  I also replaced every screw in the hinges, locks, etc with 4" long screws. I'm planning to replace the dead bolts with better grade deadbolts, and add a second dead bolt to each door... definitely sleep better now.

Attachment Attached File

old 3/4" screws, net to replacement 4" screws.

Attachment Attached File

new 48" strike plate. secured with 8, 4" screws... plus the original 4, 3/4" screws.

Attachment Attached File

door lock reinforcement plates.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

and hinge reinforcement plates..

Attachment Attached File

Door Jamb Armor Helps Stop Home Invasion and Burglary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top