Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 10:25:07 PM EDT
I like who I work for. Not where I am working. Fuck Pecos, Texas. This place is a shit hole. I have been with the same company for 14 years and most of the work is in this area. We come out here for 14 or 21 days straight , then we go home for a week or two. No set schedule. I think it may be time for a career change.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
TNMP usually has openings. In Pecos.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What career, OP?  Oil Field, Ag, Honey Wagon?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TNMP usually has openings. In Pecos.
View Quote
I don't live in Pecos. I just work in Pecos. I live in Tyler, Tx.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I work in surveying.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Is your computer log in  Ihatemyjob1 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I work in surveying. Specializing in oil field.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the location of my job and the hours and that im really good at it.

that's it.  everything else sucks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is your computer log in  Ihatemyjob1 
View Quote
I really like what I do. Just not where the work is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Haha.

I just landed in Dallas for a month on business.  I feel you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love the location of my job and the hours and that im really good at it.

that's it.  everything else sucks.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Haha.

View Quote
Dallas is nice compared to this desert town. I am used to working in East Texas and Louisiana . The tallest tree out here is waist high.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I drove through Pecos once in 1992.  It was desolate and windy.  Saw an actual tumbleweed blow across the road.  I think everyone went to this one house on the side of the road and were planning on drinking beer till the wind blew the place down.

I knew I didn't want to spend much time there and kept driving.

Tyler's a long way from Pecos.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either embrace the suck, or find another subfield, like subdivision layout or move to Louisiana and cut brush in the swamp.

You might get lucky and find a company that does SUE work for utilities, provided you are up on that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, Pecos is pretty depressing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Had to stop in Pecos for gas one time. My then 9 year old daughter gets out of the pickup, looks around and says "What a sad little town"

I laughed my ass off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My employer is great to me.  Great place to work.  I'll be here forever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Haha.

View Quote
Dallas sucks, I got transferred from Fort Worth to Dallas a month ago...Fort Worth = Heaven (for a city), Dallas = Hell.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Haha.

View Quote
If Fort Worth is where the west begins then dallas is where the east ends.  dallas is full of a bunch of people with $19K on their $20k limit credit card.  Pretentious and gaudy.  They can keep it
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Either embrace the suck, or find another subfield, like subdivision layout or move to Louisiana and cut brush in the swamp.

You might get lucky and find a company that does SUE work for utilities, provided you are up on that stuff.
View Quote
I have cut brush for most of my years surveying. In swamps, national forest, through patches of yoapon for miles, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

I have seen plenty of alligators and snakes while working. I have had a rattlesnake bite me while working in Fort Worth. Luckily it didn't make it through my boot.I have stepped on numerous other snakes throughout my career and it doesn't bother me. I just sever their heads with a machete.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I moved my family 600 miles for this job.  Not too crazy about Michigan, but the job is fucking awesome.  Because of the job (and the ridiculous income), we find we can tolerate a lot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My employer is great to me.  Great place to work.  I'll be here forever.
View Quote
My employer treats me great. I will make 6 figures this year. He pays for my insurance 100%. Matches my retirement contributions. I guess I am just bitching about Pecos.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dallas sucks, I got transferred from Fort Worth to Dallas a month ago...Fort Worth = Heaven (for a city), Dallas = Hell.
View Quote
I will agree FT Worth is better that Dallas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I had to get a tetanus shot, hepatitis shot, typhoid shot, cipro script and malaria prevention pills for where I have to go to work.

The commute is kinda long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had to get a tetanus shot, hepatitis shot, typhoid shot, cipro script and malaria prevention pills for where I have to go to work.

View Quote
Where are you headed? I had to take some of that when I went to the Philippines when I was in the army.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Not me. I love my job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My employer treats me great. I will make 6 figures this year. He pays for my insurance 100%. Matches my retirement contributions. I guess I am just bitching about Pecos.
View Quote
Hey man that actually sounds like a great situation other than location.  However I sort of know how you feel regarding location and have came to the conclusion that its becoming a deal breaker for me personally.

Money, perks, benefits, and kindness are all nice but in reality if you hate your job/location its hard to be happy at the end of the day.  

Time doesnt stop and life is too short to do something if you dislike it that bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Work?

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I hate my job, my field, my employer and my clients. There was thread last night about a guy that cleans port-a-potties, and I was envious. Honest work for honest pay and he's appreciated. I'm on call 24/7 and get woken up at 2 A.M because some dumb ass in India decided to reboot a server and interrupted an offsite backup.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I've hated some of my previous jobs, but this one is the coolest I've ever had. Sadly, I have to leave it soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked in S. Dallas for a year and a half, I transferred to Monahans when the opportunity arose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where are you headed? I had to take some of that when I went to the Philippines when I was in the army.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

India, China and places in the region.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
ME!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont mind shitty little towns. Makes me look smart.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
For years I thought I did. Then after looking at the grass over a few fences,  I gradually realized I work for a great company and if I weren't such a curmudgeon, I'd probably really like my job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I  work for a private security company, it is the definition of suck, the client actually treats us better than the company we work for.

Monday I start training for a new job as a dog walker and will be cutting back to working a few nights a week here for some extra income.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I worked in S. Dallas for a year and a half, I transferred to Monahans when the opportunity arose.
View Quote
That's saying a lot, right there.

I'd sure like to see how much activity there is in a place like Pecos right now. Looking at two year old imagery I'm seeing FEMA trailer camps and other more-permanent living quarters thrown up out there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
My job can be frustrating and I get pissed more than I should.  I've had assignments, projects, tasks, bosses, subordinates and peers that I pretty strongly dislike.  

But I didn't lose my job because of the recession or 0bama, either of which could've done it.  My wife survived breast cancer and my daughter survived brain cancer in a 2 year span, and the company gave me the flexibility to work through it.  

My family and I would've had a tough time surviving without my job at this company. "Hate" is a word I could never use.  I'm grateful for every paycheck they let me earn there.  I'm lucky, and I know it.

i don't know what Pecos, TX is like - but to me it wouldn't matter.  What you described above is exceedingly rare these days.  You're lucky too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Job is interesting, pay is ok and bennies are good, waaaay out of my career field and busy, but the location sucks.

I am not cut out for little dying towns in the middle of nowhere where houses go for <$3000 at auction and the major source of income is disability income.

Temps are getting into the 70's and it is HOT.  30 more degrees to the height of the season.

Gotta wonder, most of my peers probably think I am foreign and bust out laughing when I use an uncommon word in the morning meetings and have a northern accent.  

It all just reinforces I am not cut out for this place.  Gotta get back north of 49, but the jobs are getting really scarce in AK and the CAD is in the toilet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top