Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The solution to people like that is to stop helping them.  The unemployment will run out, the new iPhone will be released, and he will get tired of being poor.
View Quote
Very close to an exceptional Benjamin Franklin quote about poverty . . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
New Zealand is fucking awesome.  He should go.  You should stop being jealous that your youth doesn't stack up to his.
View Quote
No shit. The kid has no debt, pays his bills working only part of the year, and is traveling the world.

Would you prefer he sit in a fucking cubicle every day until he's 65?  

With a few tweaks, the nephew has life figured out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I met a kid at the bar, freash out of college moved from Colorado.  He was jealous of me for my higher paying job. then a job opened up and I pointed him toward it, and he kinda half assed applying for - he would have qualified and moved right in.

instead, he decided to run around doing hunting guides and fishing all the time.  

Im jealous of him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No one really knows. 

Geriatric GD'ers apply it to anyone under 40.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 28 considered a Millennial?
No one really knows. 

That's close. Born in 1980-2000 is supposed to be the Millennial generation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I would bet a paycheck that he's getter more and higher quality pussy than the O.P.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a question, what's worse? A steretypical millenial or a stereotypical hippie?

I say hippies are worse. My BIL is a hippy. I hate hippies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

US Census says 1982-2000
View Quote
Uhhhh... I guess that makes me a millennial.

I guess I'm going skinny jeans shopping
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK, the kid is 28 years old. At 22, he graduated a major university honors program magna cum laude. He is multilingual. For the past six years, he has worked in Colorado at resorts (seasonal employment as waitstaff in restaurants, one stint as an assistant manager). When seasonal employment ends, he files for unemployment and goes on taxpayer-funded vacation. He has no real debt (I gave him my old Nissan truck as a graduation present, and his parents covered college). He says he doesn't have a full-time job yet because he can't figure out what he wants to do in life.  Now, he wants to travel to New Zealand on a "working vacation" visa. It requires 5K in a bank account and I expect he's going to try to beg it out of my parents. He's a Bernie supporter. I want to beat him like he's ANTIFA (hell, he just might be). Am I wrong to feel this much anger at a relative?

Not trolling, just REALLY pissed off. My dad met me for lunch today, and had my nephew in tow. Goddamn millennials!!!!
View Quote

My nephew is a 29 year old junkie. Yours seems like a goddamn success in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of my niece.

She's 25 or so, lives with Mom, and has a job working retail.  Pretty much has no clue what responsibility is, and lives to have fun.  If something happened to her mother, the kid wouldn't have a clue about being on her own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Uhhhh... I guess that makes me a millennial.

I guess I'm going skinny jeans shopping
View Quote
Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The best way to cheat the system is not to play
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Does he add anything to the conversation?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
You sound jealous.  Don't let that hate burn you up.

I suspect the difference is point of view.

Im an old millennial, my parents are boomers.

my wife and I live a modest lifestyle and well within our means.  I work part time and am back in school, my wife is a stay-at-home mom.  This life makes us happy and we're indebted to no one but our mortgage.  We have a small house and two used cars.

my parents live in a huge house, and it's just the two of them.

they call our house a "starter house."  I call their house a "waste"

I believe boomers and Millinails just have different goals.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
MillennialBoomer

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now, he wants to travel to New Zealand on a "working vacation" visa. It requires 5K in a bank account and I expect he's going to try to beg it out of my parents. He's a Bernie supporter
View Quote

Do everything in your social power to prevent anyone from giving this sack of shit a dime.

I know family situations are ackward, and your influence may be limited.

Don't get frustrated, just pursuade your folks against him. If it works great, if not that's fine you did your moral job
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do everything in your social power to prevent anyone from giving this sack of shit a dime.

Don't get frustrated, just pursuade your folks against him. If it works great, if not that's fine you did your moral job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now, he wants to travel to New Zealand on a "working vacation" visa. It requires 5K in a bank account and I expect he's going to try to beg it out of my parents. He's a Bernie supporter

Another curmudgeon stuck in his cubicle, jealous of those who live life and too fearful to make a move of his own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh nice, another 'millennials suck' thread.  People used to just call these types of people 'hippies'.  Now apparently a whole generation sucks due to their own version of 'hippies'.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I met a kid at the bar, freash out of college moved from Colorado.  He was jealous of me for my higher paying job. then a job opened up and I pointed him toward it, and he kinda half assed applying for - he would have qualified and moved right in.

instead, he decided to run around doing hunting guides and fishing all the time.  

Im jealous of him.
View Quote
There is a lot of wisdom in this post. We want what we don't have but we don't know how to change. How many were here were happier with fewer responsibilities and stress in their young adult life?

That being said those that live their whole life as playboys aren't saving for a rainy day. I'm sure they will vote for a politician that will redistribute some of your 401k money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#20]
That is nothing compared to what I did after college.  I had the world at my fingertips but instead partied my ass off for 10 straight years, all the while working dead end jobs I was waaaaay over qualified for because I could never commit to any one path, and was always making plans I never bothered to fulfill.  Took me a long time to recover from that, never really did career wise, but oh well. Anyway, my point is I am not a millennial, this is nothing new.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another curmudgeon stuck in his cubicle, jealous of those who live life and too fearful to make a move of his own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sarcasm or troll account?

Pumpkin, I don't have a cubicle. I teach fitness classes outdoors. Making my own money rather than leaching off others.

Try again comrade
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No one really knows. 

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pumpkin, I don't have a cubicle. I teach fitness classes outdoors. Making my own money rather than leaching off others.

Try again comrade
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again comrade
Fitness classes?  Lololololololololololololo.  Fuck.  I nearly pissed myself laughing at you snowflake.  Fuck. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fitness classes?  Lololololololololololololo.  Fuck.  I nearly pissed myself laughing at you snowflake.  Fuck. Lol.
View Quote
'HAHaHHAHha ME DEH DOMINANCE, FEEL BIG ON INTERWEBS'

Suck my greasy brown cock you scared little pussy

Clearly a leftist pussy living with mom

your awesome, never change

(This is the part where you respond with a 3rd grade insult. My favorites are 'BWAHAHAH' and 'REPUBLITARD', id respond but I have an actual life so you win)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

(This is the part where you respond with a 3rd grade insult. My favorites are 'BWAHAHAH' and 'REPUBLITARD', id respond but I have an actual life so you win)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy there buddy.  It's not my fault you're trapped in your own form of cubicle.  It's never too late to get out and do or see something memorable. You don't have to be afraid.  Most of the world doesn't bite.  Some does but most doesn't.  If you're not afraid of a little real work I can tell you how to get someone else to pay for you to see the world.  It would seem that you're the one who's scarred.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
New Zealand is fucking awesome.  He should go.  You should stop being jealous that your youth doesn't stack up to his.
View Quote
It kind of is...  I was dating someone there for about a year and a half.  The trips were awesome but it sure rains more there than they tell you in the tourist stuff...  My nephew also went there to see if it would work out.  He was there in the SUMMER and the weather was too dreary and rainy for him.  And the cost of living about killed him.  Food is 2x what it is here, gas is 3x and wages are low.  (There is a national minimum wage that starts at $14/hour but the taxes are brutal.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the place.  But it doesn't seem a great place to be poor if you were raised here.  They have never heard of central heating. But it might be one of the prettiest places on earth.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...your outdoor fitness classes, where do you do the 'roids?

that'd seem to be a hurdle but based on the rage you' for sure got the 'roid game on lock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tend to agree.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stfu, don't compare a hard-working model citizen to a working the system slacker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Stfu, don't compare a hard-working model citizen to a working the system slacker.
View Quote
Nothing is more American than working the system.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why is this a concern of yours?  Did he pick your pocket?

Hate is a strong word.
View Quote
Yeah he is

He's picking yours and mine too. Unemployment Insurance for a degrees 28 yr old? Wtf.

Married with a career and a kid at 28.

He's a fucking slacker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, relax. Next time you see your nephew give him a hug and be thankful he exists.

My nephew also graduated cum laude from a major school in engineering. He was a hard worker, a real go-getter. Worked every summer between sessions. Got accepted into a Masters program at another major university in Ohio. Was well liked. Just was elected team leader for his engineering project team.

Then one day, just before Christmas, he jumped from a 9 story parking garage. No one knows why.

I'd trade anything to have him back, slacker or not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I love me a good old man yells at millenial thread.

edit: I have a bachelor degree in art OP.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is a lot of wisdom in this post. We want what we don't have but we don't know how to change. How many were here were happier with fewer responsibilities and stress in their young adult life?

That being said those that live their whole life as playboys aren't saving for a rainy day. I'm sure they will vote for a politician that will redistribute some of your 401k money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im jealous of him.

You'll be paying for him and his crotch fruit eventually.

ETA

I smell 2 or 3 grasshoppers in this thread that are gonna suck the govt teat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, shouldn't you hate his parents too?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#36]
We have two millennial nephews. One just got out of the Army his last 8 months he taught at the Ranger school.
He ran an infantry platoon in Afghanistan.He graduated with a degree in engineering and was ROTC commander at his college.

The other went into the Marines at 17.Went infantry, then BRC,Sniper School,HALO did a tour with his recon unit in Afghanistan
Made E-5. Got out and did contractor work for the embassy in Iraq.Working on his degree in computer science now.

Not a liberal idea in either man's head...conservatives all the way...samie same all their friends...and they have many.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have two millennial nephews. One just got out of the Army his last 8 months he taught at the Ranger school.
He ran an infantry platoon in Afghanistan.He graduated with a degree in engineering and was ROTC commander at his college.

The other went into the Marines at 17.Went infantry, then BRC,Sniper School,HALO did a tour with his recon unit in Afghanistan
Made E-5. Got out and did contractor work for the embassy in Iraq.Working on his degree in computer science now.

Not a liberal idea in either man's head...conservatives all the way...samie same all their friends...and they have many.
View Quote
Now that's impressive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK, the kid is 28 years old. At 22, he graduated a major university honors program magna cum laude. He is multilingual. For the past six years, he has worked in Colorado at resorts (seasonal employment as waitstaff in restaurants, one stint as an assistant manager). When seasonal employment ends, he files for unemployment and goes on taxpayer-funded vacation. He has no real debt (I gave him my old Nissan truck as a graduation present, and his parents covered college). He says he doesn't have a full-time job yet because he can't figure out what he wants to do in life.  Now, he wants to travel to New Zealand on a "working vacation" visa. It requires 5K in a bank account and I expect he's going to try to beg it out of my parents. He's a Bernie supporter. I want to beat him like he's ANTIFA (hell, he just might be). Am I wrong to feel this much anger at a relative?

Not trolling, just REALLY pissed off. My dad met me for lunch today, and had my nephew in tow. Goddamn millennials!!!!
View Quote

In case you didn't already know, he smokes a metric fuckton of weed.  I guarantee it, given the description and where he lives.

He knows exactly what he wants to do: not work a whole lot and smoke things.  When he says he doesn't have direction in life, it means he hasn't found a job yet that will pay him more than he makes now without doing more work.

If he could keep the bills paid himself that'd be fine, but the cyclical taxpayer funded vacations is something I see a lot, and nothing good comes of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A girl I know- smart, athletic, attractive. Got a 4-year degree (I think it was in restaurant and resort management?) and then promptly moved to the mountains, became voluntarily homeless, and works either as a ski-bum or rafting guide. She lived in her car for over a year. She used to post all the time on Facebook about how awesome it was and how everyone is a sucker that works and pays for a mortgage. She married a guy I dislike - he's a "Navy Guy" he told me, got injured in OCS and draws quite a bit a month in disability for a "bad back" and he's also a rafting guide. He frequently posts pictures on Facebook of him carrying his wife around, back must be really bad. He did a stint as a canoe guide in boundary waters as well.  She graduated in 2012 I think.

Their recent project is they bought a small bus which they are converting to their "house".
View Quote
CSB. It's almost like they are living the lives of the 1960's Hippies!? Its like they're lifestyle choices were taught by a previous generation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#40]
He's living rent free in your head, OP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm sure a lot of veterans had a parent or family member who thought similar things when they enlisted.

Not the slacker part
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#42]
It doesn't sound like he's hurting anyone or taking anyone's money from reading the original post.  But I might have missed that part.  The unemployment is borderline, but we (unfortunately) all pay into it while we work, even him.

It sounds like his parents chose to pay for college and you chose to give him the truck.  It would be a different matter if he was stealing or even using guilt to make people give him money.

Even though it's the path I took and I enjoy it, there's nothing inherently better about the guy that works his life away than they guy that lives in a shack on the river and goes fishing all day.  Gotta admit, sometimes that grass looks greener on the side of the guy fishing, though I could never do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Is this a nephew bashing thread?

I have one who is 20 something.
He maintains the speech patterns and vocabulary of that of a 13 year old girl.
He was accepted at a state university and was expelled for not bothering to attend classes.
He is a competitive cheer leader.
He is a slob
He trains horses & cleans stables at a boarder.
Works part time at Applebee's
There is some sort of daily drama in his life that he spews on FB.
He and his boyfriend hope to adopt a little girl
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

that'd seem to be a hurdle but based on the rage you' for sure got the 'roid game on lock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, friendly.

But to your credit, I shouldn't feed trolls.

We have a Bernista Communist Troll on here I was highlighting. They don't speak logic.

and now he's pushing MLM, officially making him awesome
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No shit. The kid has no debt, pays his bills working only part of the year, and is traveling the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you miss the "coast half the year on welfare" part?

This is a thing, now; I know of several dozen people in their mid/late 20's that deliberately just game unemployment half the year.   Nobody doing this is putting in what they're getting out of it; I'm sitting here paying extra taxes so they can blow other people's money on Netflix, weed, and trinkets.

Not to mention the money they eat up in Obamacare subsidies, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:40:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is this a nephew bashing thread?

I have one who is 20 something.
He maintains the speech patterns and vocabulary of that of a 13 year old girl.
He was accepted at a state university and was expelled for not bothering to attend classes.
He is a competitive cheer leader.
He is a slob
He trains horses & cleans stables at a boarder.
Works part time at Applebee's
There is some sort of daily drama in his life that he spews on FB.
He and his boyfriend hope to adopt a little girl
View Quote
As a millennial, I wish I was able to attain this level of success . Instead I'm stuck in a great career with a ton of cash.

I hate (most of) my generation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#47]
the real shitty thing he's doing is collecting unemployment as a healthy and bale working young man.

but shit, if he has the means and his parents let him do that shit then if you give an inch they'll take a mile.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Enabling hard enough ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I dunno, sounds like he is living the life to me. Easy work, do what you want, no worries...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
on behalf of all millennials i apologize
View Quote
What a pussy.

OP, just so you are aware...everytime someone posts a thread like this about millenials this is what you sound like:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top