Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
Assault weapons ban was still in place as well as numerous other gun control measures.  Didn't mean a damn thing. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Assault weapons ban was still in place as well as numerous other gun control measures.  Didn't mean a damn thing. 
View Quote

Neither did the Brady law.

Today Eric Harris's writings and actions (along with Klebold) have been used as a model for many other school shootings including Virginia Tech and Newton and even the knifing that occurred in Murrysville, PA in 2014.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have been a real shame if those two jackasses would have just blown themselves up/away while playing in the woods.

Wonder how many others since them have been at least partially inspired by those two idiots?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Foster the People - Pumped up Kicks (Bridge and Law Remix)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
There was some internet rumor going around that a gal that was a freshman during Columbine was a senior during Virginia Tech.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell of a week for shit going down in US history isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was some internet rumor going around that a gal that was a freshman during Columbine was a senior during Virginia Tech.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure this guy is the most famous Columbine survivor.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wondered, did they shoot the people who actually bullied them?

Please don't read anything into that. They are scumbags. they stated they were bullied so, i wonder if they actually got revenge or just shot randoms.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I still never got how hard the ball was dropped on that one, complete with mom and dad not noticing the bomb factory and the magazine order phone call.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Fucking Marilyn Manson man!

I remember after this, a lot of the 'outcast' kids started wearing trench coats. We would tell them "your barrel is showing" when they walked by. I guess that was in poor taste, but humor at that age usually is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
What criminals don't obey laws? What next crazy people do crazy things?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please don't read anything into that. They are scumbags. they stated they were bullied so, i wonder if they actually got revenge or just shot randoms.
View Quote
They kneecapped them
They also waited until the muzzles got hot and burned people with them

Fucking scumbags
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember it like it was yesterday, then 5/20/99 it happened to me . Heritage high school, Conyers,GA. The end of my 10th grade year.

Wasn't near as bad as what those kids went through but the shit still sucked to have to witness.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
They really were not bullied; no worse than anyone else.  Their targets were random.

Harris stated in his journal that he hated bullies and then would say he deserved what was said to him as it was provoked by his own actions.

Both parties stated no one was to blame for their actions but themselves.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
They weren't bullied, they were just losers that didn't have friends.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still never got how hard the ball was dropped on that one, complete with mom and dad not noticing the bomb factory and the magazine order phone call.
View Quote
Dad owned guns and had recently bought something from the dealer so he made an assumption orders got mixed up.  None of dad's guns were used.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Just be thankfull those asshats couldn't rig together a proper timing device for their propane bombs.

I remember seeing reports conducted with similarly constructed devices and the consensus is it would have killed a whole lot of people, possibly even partially collapsed the cafeteria
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad those bombs didn't work...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dad owned guns and had recently bought something from the dealer so he made an assumption orders got mixed up.  None of dad's guns were used.
View Quote
Without writing a ten page post outlining everything there was some severe ball dropping on the part of the police and parents. The writings that the police were already aware of basically spelled out what was coming. Additionally the kids had a criminal past. Plus the time Eric's mother saw him leaving with a shotgun in a bag and did not think anything of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Some one posted this in a different thread, worth the watch

Storytellers: Columbine High School
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They weren't bullied, they were just losers that didn't have friends.
View Quote

Partially right.  They did have friends but both had mental issues preventing them from having more or at least more closer friends.  They worked with a bunch of other kids at a pizza place, Eric had played soccer (making him a jock to a certain degree), and they participated in some clubs.  They did not understand social constructs and people's motivations and intentions for different reasons.  Eric led (most of the time) and Dylan followed (most of the time).  They had lots of groups they associated with and people they were friendly with but maybe none of them were "mainstream" enough for Eric's liking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/incredulous.gif
View Quote
Never knew that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Without writing a ten page post outlining everything there was some severe ball dropping on the part of the police and parents. The writings that the police were already aware of basically spelled out what was coming. Additionally the kids had a criminal past.
View Quote
Don't forget the officers who forgot to follow through on those complaints. Lots of small fuck ups/over sights let those two get away with shit for far to long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Without writing a ten page post outlining everything there was some severe ball dropping on the part of the police and parents. The writings that the police were already aware of basically spelled out what was coming. Additionally the kids had a criminal past.
View Quote

Yes, 100%.  The webpage Harris put up was enough to get the Sheriff's dept. interested until they weren't (Harris took it down) and the Sheriff's department attempted to hide that they didn't act post incident.  Both Harris and Klebold stole from a guy's van (and Harris justified it in every wrong way) and were caught.  it was felony theft but being minors they went into a diversion program and did so well they were let out of it months early.

Harris apparently was always a little fire/bomb bug and his parents, finding some of the items he had and was building, simply shrugged it off as the kid was always tinkering with things.  Klebold wasn't as ambitious but was living in the shadow of his own brother and didn't have the motivation to do a lot of the things on his own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks (Official Video)

This one has the cute Asian girl.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Assault weapons ban was still in place as well as numerous other gun control measures.  Didn't mean a damn thing
View Quote

No, it meant a lot.

The scars of Columbine traumatized a lot of children going forward. Old people today have little clue what it is like growing up in a post-Columbine, post 9/11 world.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never knew that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never knew that.
Guy survives Columbine only to move to J-ville and become a Jags fan, poor bastard.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just be thankfull those asshats couldn't rig together a proper timing device for their propane bombs.

I remember seeing reports conducted with similarly constructed devices and the consensus is it would have killed a whole lot of people, possibly even partially collapsed the cafeteria
View Quote
I read a report about that, not sure if it was credible. I saw the document a few months after the shooting, then it was gone 6 months later.

In the document I saw, they had tested their bombs using mechanical clocks which worked well. The bombs built for use at the school used a slightly cheaper clock, the cheaper clocks used plastic bushings instead of the brass in the more expensive clocks. The circuit wasn't completed because of the plastic bushing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original plan was to A) bomb a remote area to distract FD and LE B) utilize large bombs to demo the cafeteria and cause as much carnage as possible C) shoot those who fled D) shoot it out with police/die and E) bombs in their cars would explode killed first responders after they were already dead.

Most of the bombs did not go off or if they did explode only did so with little damage and out of sequence.  Most of the explosions were caused by their CO2 cartridge bombs they lit and threw at people/things but almost all injuries and all deaths ended up being from gun shot wounds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I read a report about that, not sure if it was credible. I saw the document a few months after the shooting, then it was gone 6 months later.

In the document I saw, they had tested their bombs using mechanical clocks which worked well. The bombs built for use at the school used a slightly cheaper clock, the cheaper clocks used plastic bushings instead of the brass in the more expensive clocks. The circuit wasn't completed because of the plastic bushing.
View Quote

I want to say that there was enough force to shatter the glass and potentially bring some structural members from the library above down into the cafeteria which held, at that time, 488 students.  Had they worked it would have been really bad.  None of the students nor any faculty even noticed the placement of the bombs which were in large duffle bags.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lucky break

Between that and the fact that they wanted Calico M950's, things could have been way worse.

Shit, the guy who sold them the AB-10 had a Mini-30, thankfully they didn't buy that off of him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I want to say that there was enough force to shatter the glass and potentially bring some structural members from the library above down into the cafeteria which held, at that time, 488 students.  Had they worked it would have been really bad.  None of the students nor any faculty even noticed the placement of the bombs which were in large duffle bags.
View Quote
I see someone else has spent some time reading up on this as well. You are absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Guy survives Columbine only to move to J-ville and become a Jags fan, poor bastard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never knew that.

Haha!

Too bad though, I really like Khan.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The original plan was to A) bomb a remote area to distract FD and LE B) utilize large bombs to demo the cafeteria and cause as much carnage as possible C) shoot those who fled D) shoot it out with police/die and E) bombs in their cars would explode killed first responders after they were already dead.

Most of the bombs did not go off or if they did explode only did so with little damage and out of sequence.  Most of the explosions were caused by their CO2 cartridge bombs they lit and threw at people/things but almost all injuries and all deaths ended up being from gun shot wounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The full plan was to get away if they could, hijack a plane and crash it (NYC?) But if they were cornered, then shoot it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember it like it was yesterday, then 5/20/99 it happened to me . Heritage high school, Conyers,GA. The end of my 10th grade year.

Wasn't near as bad as what those kids went through but the shit still sucked to have to witness.
View Quote
Dude, that's horrible. I remember that happening and obviously Columbine. Hope all is well with you. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah I remember that very well, I started highschool in Colorado that year. Columbine would have a far reaching impact in terms of no tolerance ( no common sense ) policies.
Fights that used to get you a 2 day suspension would get you expelled in just a couple year time period. I remember kids would call in fake bomb threats all at my highschool to get
days off. That changed within a couple years to felon for life. Now most kids don't even get to go out for lunch anymore I hear :/
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I see someone else has spent some time reading up on this as well. You are absolutely correct.
View Quote

Yes, two major reasons.  Know thy enemy and also to dispel the liberal mantra about evil gunz and bullies and all that other crap.  When I hear zero tolerance I want to shove the Secret Service's report down their throat which says security theater and zero tolerance don't do anything and...profiling does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The full plan was to get away if they could, hijack a plane and crash it (NYC?) But if they were cornered, then shoot it out.
View Quote

Yes.  They were basically planning their own 9/11.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah I remember that very well, I started highschool in Colorado that year. Columbine would have a far reaching impact in terms of no tolerance ( no common sense ) policies.
Fights that used to get you a 2 day suspension would get you expelled in just a couple year time period. I remember kids would call in fake bomb threats all at my highschool to get
days off. That changed within a couple years to felon for life. Now most kids don't even get to go out for lunch anymore I hear :/
View Quote
Yeah, it was a pretty rough time to go through High School.

Got to see 9/11 happen live appropriately enough in my Sophomore US History class.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes.  They were basically planning their own 9/11.
View Quote
Thankfully, despite all of their planning, their actual attack went horribly wrong. Can't imagine the results of they had been able to piece everything together correctly, get more/better weapons, ect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Was a serious buzz kill. I got a call that afternoon. We had almost worked out a deal for state wide Concealed carry. That event killed all our progress and set us back years.

People involved after the fact tried to milk the event for all it was worth, so much so that certain prosecutors, judges and private attorneys engaged in hundreds of actions that each of which were grounds for dis-barrment and criminal prosecution. However none of or state DA's or Attorney general would even consider looking into the issue for fear of public opinion.

Oh - and I think the responding LEO's were a bunch of chicken shits for not going in immediately.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Was a serious buzz kill. I got a call that afternoon. We had almost worked out a deal for state wide Concealed carry. That event killed all our progress and set us back years.

People involved after the fact tried to milk the event for all it was worth, so much so that certain prosecutors, judges and private attorneys engaged in hundreds of actions that each of which were grounds for dis-barrment and criminal prosecution. However none of or state DA's or Attorney general would even consider looking into the issue for fear of public opinion.

Oh - and I think the responding LEO's were a bunch of chicken shits for not going in immediately.
View Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't department policy at the time not to enter and wait for back up?

Not saying they were right or wrong as I wasn't there to make that judgement call, just asking a factual question.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some one posted this in a different thread, worth the watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1XOUcHa0I4
View Quote
That was good. Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of my wife's friends at the time had a younger sister that survived Columbine, I commented that it was a good thing those kids didn't know what they were doing or there would have been a whole lot more kids killed that day.

She was not amused and started in with the normal gun banning talking points, no one needs an assault rifle, no one needs high capacity magazines, etc...  A few weeks later, after she calmed down a little, we had a discussion about the lies being told by the media and showed her examples.  I doubt she ever became a gun owner, but she did realize that the media and politicians were pushing crap on the nightly news.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the estimate was there would have been around 250 dead if the bombs went off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#45]
What is it about 20? 7/20/2012
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I remember it happening like it was yesterday. I was a junior in high school, and watched it happen on the news in the planetarium.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't department policy at the time not to enter and wait for back up?

Not saying they were right or wrong as I wasn't there to make that judgement call, just asking a factual question.
View Quote
Policy or not. (That would just be a CYA excuse.)

Fact is they had the place surrounded, then waited hours before finally entering. Mean while a few victims bled out that need not have died.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#48]
That was the day I decided to not be a victim and arm myself.  Had to wait a while though, being nine years old.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top