Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're luck you don't live in Florida. We have to install hybrid water heaters here if the tank capacity is over 50 gallons. So for the smallest hybrid heater is $1300 my cost. Add in mark up and labor it would be around $2700. That doesn't include fittings and pipe, expansion tanks or a pan.
View Quote
I ran the math on those expensive heat pumpy water heaters and if the efficiency rating is accurate than they do save you money over the life of the unit. The up front cost is just more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
OP did it himself.  This is why America is unemployed.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Holy jeeze! I better get them off my car then! I'll have no brakes!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pro tip!

those braided stainless hoses will rot and leak. 
Holy jeeze! I better get them off my car then! I'll have no brakes!
Lol, this
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You mean to tell me that this guy had the balls to add profit to a job that he was quoting?! What an a-hole! These knuckle dragging/bottom feeding workers need to know their place!

The trades suck. You expose yourself to tons of hazardous elements, beat the shit out of your body, and at the end of the day, you only have what you're lucky enough to be able to hang on to after all of the expenses are paid (insurances, taxes, fees, etc.), which isn't much.

Same reason I hated being an 01. "Can I get a free box of ammo if I buy this M&P9"... when I have $60 on the gun, people think you're making half of the guns worth. Gotta wonder why these same people don't bitch at management for deals off on their groceries at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
How much does it cost to go tankless?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP did it himself.  This is why America is unemployed.

View Quote
ITT OP HATES Capitalism
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
We have a ~35 gallon and a 55 gallon.  I replaced the 35 and completely overhauled the 55 in the last two years.  Total cost was about $400 and I basically have two brand new units now.

Learn to turn a wrench and save yourself some bucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what are you going to buy with the remaining $1281
View Quote
You have to ask?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wife didn't want me lifting water heaters so she said call someone to do it. OK, I'll play.

Guy was going on about all the special options I can get on this miracle of technology, LED read out, remote WiFi access, A contraption on top that has something to do with water pressure, special stainless doomajiggies that replace my plain old not very high tech copper pipe. (You don't want your neighbors to think you use COPPER pipe do you?) leak alarms, and a couple of things I've forgotten. About the ONLY thing it did not do is give blow jobs.  

I just want a basic electric 55-gallon water heater. I do not need to see LED lights to know it's working, I can turn on the tap for that.  Are folks  really so anal that they need constant remote monitoring of their water heater?  I asked for the cheapest option.  He cheerfully played with his phone, $1710.

Home Depot has the same water heater (Rheem) for $429.  I thanked the very nice salesman, went and bought the thing then installed it myself.  I'll just TELL the wife the plumber did it. Not counting drive time and the time I spent screwing around in the garden section it took about an hour.

Altogether, if you give the guy $100 an hour for labor, and count in the very special pipe etc, he was going to make around 1K profit.
View Quote

Of course you took the $1k for a new gun, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just cut the pipes and replace it with a braided stainless steel hose with threads on one end that connect to the water heater and a sharkbite fitting on the other end.  No soldering required, takes all of ten seconds to install.  Something like this, you'll need two of them.

The only hard part of installing a water heater is getting rid of the old one
View Quote
If you're down South, you strip that tank and cut it in half and make yourself a grill.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

350.00 is not outrageous IMO.  One trip to diagnose the problem, order the parts, add markup to parts, another trip to install.  I have a two hour minimum (180.00) on 99% of my service calls.  Anything less is just not worth it.

Real close to home, elderly, military I will discount.
View Quote
i

I think your the contractor / repair person this thread was directed at when you charge 180 minimum which in reality is shafting the helpless or lazy. But either way you'd never get a call from most here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're lucky you don't live in Florida. We have to install hybrid water heaters here if the tank capacity is over 50 gallons. So for the smallest hybrid heater is $1300 my cost. Add in mark up and labor it would be around $2700. That doesn't include fittings and pipe, expansion tanks or a pan.
View Quote
What they don't know won't hurt them.  

Did the OP give .gov their cut?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would you heat hot water 
View Quote
To make it even hotter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you install all of the stuff Austin requires to be up to code?  Expansion tank, drain line, gas cut off, gas vents (2 of them) etc.?  Oh yeah, you are not supposed to install a gas hookup yourself either - there is a permit or some BS according to the guy who quoted me the same outrageous price as you were told.

When you sell your house all of that shit has to be there or you won't pass the code inspection.  Yay Austin.
View Quote
I don't live in Austin.  Never have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
That gets right to the heart of the matter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good job OP. I assume you also installed the correct expansion tank, charged properly to your water pressure?
View Quote
That was one of the extras he quoted.  I've never had an expansion tank before and I really don't see the need for one now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Shark bites are what you seek
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Anything cool in the garden section?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife didn't want me lifting water heaters so she said call someone to do it. OK, I'll play.

Guy was going on about all the special options I can get on this miracle of technology, LED read out, remote WiFi access, A contraption on top that has something to do with water pressure, special stainless doomajiggies that replace my plain old not very high tech copper pipe. (You don't want your neighbors to think you use COPPER pipe do you?) leak alarms, and a couple of things I've forgotten. About the ONLY thing it did not do is give blow jobs.  

I just want a basic electric 55-gallon water heater. I do not need to see LED lights to know it's working, I can turn on the tap for that.  Are folks  really so anal that they need constant remote monitoring of their water heater?  I asked for the cheapest option.  He cheerfully played with his phone, $1710.

Home Depot has the same water heater (Rheem) for $429.  I thanked the very nice salesman, went and bought the thing then installed it myself.  I'll just TELL the wife the plumber did it. Not counting drive time and the time I spent screwing around in the garden section it took about an hour.

Altogether, if you give the guy $100 an hour for labor, and count in the very special pipe etc, he was going to make around 1K profit.

Anything cool in the garden section?
Roses are on sale, $5.  I'm thinking of picking up 6 or so, they are nature's own concertina.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep those water heaters in good shape with periodic flushing and anode replacements.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Question for you water heater experts: does it really matter if a gas water heater is installed with the in/out lines reversed? 
My water heater was installed ~10 years ago.  It seems to be working okay, but the lines are reversed.  Looks like it would have been a pain for the installer to swap the lines. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#21]
For just another $500.00 I'll drive from Pennsylvania and put it in for you.

Then you'l really have something special
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much does it cost to go tankless?
View Quote
Didn't even bother to ask. I'd have to rewire the heater cabinet and add wiring into the walls out to the panel. My electric bill is only $96 this month anyway, so it's not a big money saver.

As for what to do with he rest of the cash, It's going towards the outboard replacement fund.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Question for you water heater experts: does it really matter if a gas water heater is installed with the in/out lines reversed? 
My water heater was installed ~10 years ago.  It seems to be working okay, but the lines are reversed.  Looks like it would have been a pain for the installer to swap the lines. 
View Quote
Not an expert, but yes.  It will function, but you'll have reduced capacity/performance/efficiency.  The input has a pipe called a dip tube that goes to the bottom of the tank.  That puts the cold water at the bottom, where it can be heated.  Once it's hot, it will rise to the top, where the output is.

If you reverse it, the output is going to suck the cooler water from the bottom.  If the tank's been sitting a while, and everything is the same temp, you won't notice much of anything until enough new, cold water comes in the top, sinks to the bottom and starts getting sucked out the dip tube.  Sure, it'll mix with the hot water that's already there, but it's not efficient.  The unit is working opposite the natural flow of the hot/cold water in the tank.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've only replaced the heating elements in a hot water heater.
I would like to replace the one I have. Run-of-the-mill 50 gallon electric hot water heater, but the welding of the cold and hot water pipes has me worried since I've never done that. This is probably going to sound super dumb but do you guys use a propane torch or a welding machine to do the copper pipe welding?
View Quote
I have no clue.. but I assume you would need some copper joints, and then you would solder it together with a propane torch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#25]
WiFi water heaters with the corresponding App are totally bitchin.

ETA......that was supposed to be a joke.  Do they really have WiFi water heaters ? . Well fuck me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I had to two plumbers show up at my house and gave me a quote. Both were over $2200.00, I told them both TYVM, GTFO. Install a sink pump and tie it into a previous ran sink drain and run 11' of new supply... All rough plumbing, no walls, insulation with easy access to everything..not even installing sink connections, they just wanted to leave nubs.

I did the work myself.

One guy showed up with a beat up red pick up with a magnet crooked sign and pants that haven't been washed since the Carter administration...we had to delouse the home behind him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you install all of the stuff Austin requires to be up to code?  Expansion tank, drain line, gas cut off, gas vents (2 of them) etc.?  Oh yeah, you are not supposed to install a gas hookup yourself either - there is a permit or some BS according to the guy who quoted me the same outrageous price as you were told.

When you sell your house all of that shit has to be there or you won't pass the code inspection.  Yay Austin.
View Quote
Thats why you hook it up the exact way it was before. How would one know YOU put it in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly. And after a couple of those you tack $1k onto the price and you get paid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
WiFi water heaters with the corresponding App are totally bitchin.

ETA......that was supposed to be a joke.  Do they really have WiFi water heaters ? . Well fuck me.
View Quote
But there is an APP for your Iphone!

You can even buy the kit to retrofit your current water heater.

Your water heater is now part of Skynet
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn. I just bought one at the local farm supply store for $350 and a guy charged $125 to install it last month. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Love all the guys hear trying to tear him down for doing it himself and not following code. Then he completely lays the smack down and tells them its electric. Boom. Good work OP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#32]
An electric water heater is incredibly easy to install. You might need a buddy and a few beers to help haul the old one out and get the new one in, but there's nothing to it. You cut the pipes, run new braided stainless Sharkbite hoses (one with a ball valve, one without), rewire the new one, and plumb the new T&P in. The expansion tank, if you have one, operates separately, so it isn't necessary to replace it at the same time. Personally, if you have a functioning sump or floor drain, I would use something like a Watts 530C to avoid the expansion tank entirely. Pressure relief valves can go anywhere on the cold water supply.

A qualified professional can do this job in no more than an hour. Even billing for two hours to account for parts and labor a $400 water heater installed should realistically be, what, $600 installed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
The cold water side has a dip tube that sends the cold incoming water to the bottom of the tank. If the plumber knew what he was doing he could have swapped the nipples on the water heater and it might be labeled incorrectly but work fine. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I replaced my water heater I left the old one sitting in front of the garage for a days and came home from work and it was gone,nobody saw who took it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I replaced my water heater I left the old one sitting in front of the garage for a days and came home from work and it was gone,nobody saw who took it.
I put mine out in the yard, shoot it until it's all shot up, then take it to the junkyard to sell as scrap. Same with washing machines, water tanks, car hoods left at accident scenes, etc.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit - You can see water coming out of the water heater; my son wanted to shoot it with it full, so we ran the hose back there and filled it up, then he shot it with my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Good job OP.

Did the same thing, picked up a new water heater and installed it myself.  1.5 hours including building out a new gas manifold and piping so I can plug in a second one in the future and just plug in a new gas extension line.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Really Kolat, a lot of what Dipper said is truth.
There is nothing wrong with DIY and saving money.
Plumbers, mechanics, and electricians do live off the uneducated and unwilling.
Granted, there are some jobs that require a pro, but most jobs can be done by someone willing to try.
It ain't all rocket surgery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plumbers , mechanics, contractors, etc. make their living off ignorant people and lazy people who don't want to get their hands dirty.

I have a friend that was charged about $800.00 to replace an old bathroom sink fixture. The new fixture was like $150.00 and an hours labor.

I am glad that my Dad taught me so much and for what I have learned through the years.  Some people have to make a shit ton of money just to deal with everyday stuff.

Between fixing/repairing the families vehicles ( six of them ), fixing/replacing things around the house ( just fixed my sons clothes dryer and saved $300.00) , building my own shit, etc.  I save and save my family thousands a year.
If the first part is the case do you think communities should band together and do massive Amish style building parties for new schools and courthouses and jails, etc?

Probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here and we have a lot of window lickers.
Really Kolat, a lot of what Dipper said is truth.
There is nothing wrong with DIY and saving money.
Plumbers, mechanics, and electricians do live off the uneducated and unwilling.
Granted, there are some jobs that require a pro, but most jobs can be done by someone willing to try.
It ain't all rocket surgery.
Granted I built my own home, with self installed geothermal HVAC.

What one man can do, another can do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I just paid $1640 to have a new 54 gallon gas water heater installed.  Cost included labor, heater, tax, permit, new copper pipes, expansion tank required by code, and hauling away the junk.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't imagine paying for a job like that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He must be the cousin of the HV/AC guy who wanted to sell me a $500 thermostat.  Lol
View Quote
Word.  Programmable 'stats and high SEER systems are the lube they use for consumer rape.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In before all the never buy a water heater at a box store guys 
View Quote
Aw c'mon...a big box store WH is good practice for next year when O_P has to install ANOTHER new water heater, this time hopefully bought from a professional plumber's supply store.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I put mine out in the yard, shoot it until it's all shot up, then take it to the junkyard to sell as scrap. Same with washing machines, water tanks, car hoods left at accident scenes, etc.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/ShawnCat-003-191360.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/08-27-07-006-191362.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/7-8-2011-ARF-032-191363.JPG

Edit - You can see water coming out of the water heater; my son wanted to shoot it with it full, so we ran the hose back there and filled it up, then he shot it with my Bushmaster.
View Quote
I am not a doctor but your son appears to have facial skin affliction.  Consider having a doctor check it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Aw c'mon...a big box store WH is good practice for next year when O_P has to install ANOTHER new water heater, this time hopefully bought from a professional plumber's supply store.
View Quote
Since I bought exactly the same brand and model water heater named in the professional plumbers quote, How, exactly, is that going to happen?.

Never mind that your professional plumber is a registered Rheem dealer and gets his units at a lower price than I can then quotes me $110 dollars MORE than the home depot price, including tax.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first box store water heater lasted about 22 years. Roughly year five on the second.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I just installed a new one at my shop, super easy.  I think plumbers are trying to price themselves out of business.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I paid around $2300 to have our gas water heater replaced shortly after buying our current house.  The original 50 gal unit was quite old, was located in a part of the attic that you can't get to without going squatting thru a 2ft tall door, and the vent at the top was installed completely wrong, basically halfway venting back into the attic.  The emergency T&P vent pipe or whatever it's called was also installed out of code.  I didn't want to screw with all that labor myself, and climbing on the roof to fix the vent (stuff I have no experience with), so I just paid the guy to do it.  It was well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am not a doctor but your son appears to have facial skin affliction.  Consider having a doctor check it out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guarantee you what he was quoting you was a heat pump based water heater system... because what you describe is exactly just that.

And living in TX you made a big mistake not listening to him.

Why? Because you have crazy rebates on them, you get free AC in your garage (assuming this is where the WH is), and you have a much lower power bill, and a much longer life system.

To give you an idea, your state offers a $750 rebate on those, plus your electric company most likely offers a similarly priced rebate.  You basically wasted money... and guess what?  You'll be doing this all over again in 10 or less years.... but at least you'll feel like that you showed the man

Sure he was charging a lot for the install, but the rebates would have fixed that issue.  The cheaper unit that you quoted was basically just a normal WH and probably has zero rebates.... so the install price is high because essentially it's still the same amount of work.... and in order to get those rebates, you need a professional in most cases doing the install.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I can't imagine my wife telling me how to replace a water tank

Her not knowing a single thing about it would be the first problem

being told what to do is the second problem

you can nice, polite, gentlemanly, caring, friendly to your wife and not have her boss you around

you don't even have to raise your voice

people treat you the way you let them treat you
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell her you hired the plumber and spend the difference on a new gun of course.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funny, the water heater I replaced was installed by a plumber back in 2007.
He got it at Home Depot too.
The only thing different was it was a cheaper model than I got for twice the money.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top