Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 8:48:08 PM EDT
Back in January, I replaced all my solenoids (a couple had locked up, and in for a penny...) and the control panel, and everything was hunky dory for the two weeks I ran the system putting in the winter grass.

I recently decided to overseed again with a new seed, and now the system won't turn on any of the solenoids.

I checked the panel, and it's passing around 28-29V at each zone terminal when I activate that zone, just as expected.

I pulled a solenoid, thinking they had died again, and it tested fine when I applied power to at the control panel.

Going back to the irrigation valve end wiring, the solenoids I tested are only getting 9-10V each from the wiring. I tested them all, and they're all receiving around that voltage.

What am I missing? If it was no voltage, I would suspect a wire break.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming the voltage was okay when installed, check for corrosion where the wires attach to the control panel, or at any splices along the runs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It could be normal voltage drop due to the wire size being too small. The longer the distance, the larger the wire will need to be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The high resistance due to corrosion is a good sanity check.

Bad component pulling high current could cause a voltage drop, but with new solenoids seems unlikely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top