Posted: 4/19/2017 7:07:11 PM EDT
And surroundings.
Go!  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away during spring break
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome town.  Are you married? Single? Young? Old? Fat? Active?  This will help us get some ideas going for you
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful area. I was just there.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
depends on where you go,  its a nice place,  I call it the Charlotte of SC,  its growing like crazy.

PSA has a store with a range inside.

get you a spot near 85,  

good luck
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Head east.

Nothing wrong with Greenville, but I would highly recommend looking at Charleston.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheap livin
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Greenville is full of hippis, stop buy the store where people volunteer to sell fair trade 3rd world garbage.

No I don't remember the name of it.

They are changing the world one unemployed volunteer hippi at a itme.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been for work several times. At least a couple places to shoot machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greenville is full of hippis, stop buy the store where people volunteer to sell fair trade 3rd world garbage.

No I don't remember the name of it.

They are changing the world one unemployed volunteer hippi at a itme.
View Quote
Jockey Lot
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Roads are horrible.

But it's a good town, Spartanburg can be umm. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
its pronounced grenvul 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a nice graveyard there. Met my first wife there at her granddaddy's funeral.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a very beautiful city, very hip and up and coming.  It is growing like mad, probably one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.  The downtown is awesome, packed with restaurants, bars, parks, a performing arts center and a huge arena.  They are building fancy condos like crazy downtown, but they are very expensive.  The housing market is also very competitive but still reasonably priced depending on where you are coming from. The mountains are a skip away. You would think it was a liberal city by looking at it but politics are still conservative, we will see how long that holds out, but the Upstate is the most conservative region of SC.  Whoever said Charleston, lol fuck no.  Charleston is nice to visit, but not to live IMO.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome downtown scene, great restaurants, tons of bars.

Traffic is a FUCKING NIGHTMARE.

All the surrounding areas are filling up quick, but they seem to be kicking the can down the road on the traffic problems.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been living here for 2.5 years about 3 miles from the center of Main St.

Greenville is a great area.  They are, unfortunately doing a lot of building of condo/apartments, etc. without improving the infrastructure (roads, etc. much)

Look on a map, the Woodruff Rd. area between Kimchee Korean and Verdae Rd. is a mess on the weekend and in the evenings.  This is where PSA / Cabelas / Best Buy / Northern Tool / Wal-mart / Whole Foods are.

Otherwise traffic is a lark, compared to Atlanta, Charlotte or I hear Charleston in certain areas.

85 S from Greer into Greenville is a mess in the mornings.

There are bad areas, but they are very obvious, but can be a short distance from the very nice areas.  

There are hipsters, but really not many hippies.  Asheville and now even Hendersonville, NC are much more hippie.  The hippies are trying to turn Taylors, SC into an Asheville south.  LOTS AND LOTS of gorgeous women in the area.

Good restaurants all around, just really missing Ethiopian and Middle Eastern.  

Not a lot of outdoor shooting within an hour drive.

Several indoor ranges close by.

In town, where we are renting a home, property values are around 200-220 per sq ft.

5-10 miles out, the price drops to 90-110 per sq ft.

Lots of Park area in town, the ball field for minor league is cool.  The town is very walkable around Main St.

Lots of street events, especially Fall for Greenville; as well as a weekly farmer's market on Main.  The hot pepper guy has all the hottest peppers.  

Pretty easy to get around overall.

I can answer more specific questions, if you like.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
A guy in my army unit was from there. He tried to kill himself by taking a ton of Advil and downing it with NyQuil. Of course he puked everywhere then passed out in it. Think I remember his name but I'll not post it. That chucklefuck and I think there is NASCAR stuff there.

That's all I got.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you offer more specifics of what info you are seeking?  It is my hometown (lived there 40nyears)...my family still resides there, and we are planning on moving back in a couple of years.  I am still very familiar with most of the areas and will be happy to try to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you checked the crime statistics, just asking..........
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Anderson, 45 mins from GSP.  
110 miles to ATL
110 miles to CLTAttachment Attached File

and 12 miles from Lake Hartwell.
A nice place to live.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I plan on moving there when I retire, at least somewhere close.  Might stay in NC.  Its not too far away.

Pretty cool town.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything PhatMax said is very accurate, except that I hope he's wrong about Taylors, as that's where I live.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Head east.

Nothing wrong with Greenville, but I would highly recommend looking at Charleston.
View Quote
Why would someone interested in Greenville want to look in Charleston. Higher crime rates, over crowded tourist town vs. rural areas with the option of civilization close by...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#23]
BMW has a huge production facility there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to live in Charlotte. When driving to Atlanta or New Orleans I'd always stop in Greenville, SC. I like stopping there, plenty of decent places to eat on a road trip. The people seem nice, form the many times I've stopped there it seems clean too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And surroundings.
Go!  Thanks
View Quote

If you are considering moving, look a 30 minutes further south to Anderson. Easy commute to Greenville,but its less crowded,less traffic, lower taxes, and there is The Lake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I've lived in Greenville since 1988.  It is growing, employment is good.  Towns on the outskirts make living close to Greenville very easy.  There are a lot of gun shops.  What specifics do you want to know?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Driving through ain't too bad. My ancestors fought in the local militia during the revolution. My buddy's grandpa owns a farm nearby and let us go shooting. I might have convinced him to blow 3000 dollars on nods in the process. A fellow grad student who is a hard core SJW Commie just got hired as a professor at whatever liberal arts school is in Greenville. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Everything PhatMax said is very accurate, except that I hope he's wrong about Taylors, as that's where I live.
View Quote
You are right, I got my T towns mixed up.  It is Travelers Rest they are trying to hipster/hippie-ize.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Driving through ain't too bad. My ancestors fought in the local militia during the revolution. My buddy's grandpa owns a farm nearby and let us go shooting. I might have convinced him to blow 3000 dollars on nods in the process. A fellow grad student who is a hard core SJW Commie just got hired as a professor at whatever liberal arts school is in Greenville. YMMV.
View Quote
Furman, I assume?  

Due to the Euros that are here from BMW and just the hipness of the place, there has been a lot of imported people with lots of money and lefty views moving here.  We need more conservative people!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the great info everyone.

No details now.  Just needed general impressions

Best public high school?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I love it.  I go there for work related training or meetings a few times a year.  Downtown is awesome.  Traffic stinks in the afternoon.  I wouldn't mind living there at all.  Problem is I'd have to work in an office building if I went there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I live about 12 minutes from downtown Greenville, in Easley (pickens county), where real estate isn't insane and traffic isn't as bad.
Just like any other city, Greenville has some nice areas and some areas to avoid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#33]
How close is the lake with traffic and such? Any lakefront property worth living on? SC is on my list of potential job locations.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How close is the lake with traffic and such? Any lakefront property worth living on? SC is on my list of potential job locations.
View Quote
sorry scro, we hit our quote for people from Michigan. Maybe try again in 87 yars....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Roads are horrible.

View Quote
What's wrong with Sburg?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's wrong with Sburg?
View Quote
Sparkle City?  I work in Spartanburg.  Demographics, overall wealth, restaurants, places to go, etc..  Greenville is much nicer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got kin that live about 45 minutes North/west of there.

God's country. Red dirt and lots of hills.

They used to call that part of the state 'The Dark Corner' because if you needed to hide out for some reason, no one would ever find you
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sparkle City?  I work in Spartanburg.  Demographics, overall wealth, restaurants, places to go, etc..  Greenville is much nicer.
View Quote

Meh, "shit'll buff out"

As Gville grows "Sparkle City" should too. Just a matter of time.

I think I'm gonna try to champion a monorail between the two.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's wrong with Sburg?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roads are horrible.

What's wrong with Sburg?
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/table-8/10tbl08sc.xls

200 more violent crimes with less population than Gville.

Sparkle City has some rough areas. 
I'm looking to move to around York in a couple years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Meh, "shit'll buff out"

As Gville grows "Sparkle City" should too. Just a matter of time.

I think I'm gonna try to champion a monorail between the two.
View Quote
As Gville plows through cheaper areas to make room for the new money... it's what they do in Charlotte. Plow down the old neighborhoods and build expensive new condos. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/table-8/10tbl08sc.xls

200 more violent crimes with less population than Gville.

Sparkle City has some rough areas. 
I'm looking to move to around York in a couple years.
View Quote
Yeah, Spartanburg is to Greenville what East St Louis is to St Louis...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Each will have their merits, but J. L. Mann (my alma mater), Greenville High School, Eastside, wade Hampton, Riverside.......

(this is a response to best public schools)....Elementary is Sara Collins off of Parkins Mill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top