Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 7:50:10 AM EDT
I found this 1957 FN-made 12ga Auto-5 yesterday. Honest wear. Original finish. 25.5" (counting the barrel extension) modified plain barrel. Honest wear with no cracks in the stock/hand-guard, FN butt-plate is in very nice shape.  I bought it because of overall condition the much more handy/useful modified barrel.  I gave $300.00 for it.

It seems every Auto-5 of that vintage (or older) I have come across lately has a 30"+ full-choke vent or solid rib barrel with a aftermarket recoil pad installed.....And a poly-choke to boot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Its beautiful! I have few and the don't make them like that anymore. Good score!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Iconic!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice. Looking for an old A5 myself now. Got a newer, great condition one from another member, and want an older, semi rough one to go with it.

If the barrel's already modified, I'd think long and hard about cutting for choke tubes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 1957 made Light Twelve back in about 1985 or so. Paid 400$ for it then. Its like brand new.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that  the one that was confiscated in Massachusetts yesterday
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Alot of barrels cut down from bulges in those old guns. My friend has one that was cut and threaded for Colonial chokes and it bulged again when a wad caught the back end of a mod choke and tore half of the choke out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice score. Hard to find one with out some abortion of a choke stuck on the end of the barrel. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice score. Hard to find one with out some abortion of a choke stuck on the end of the barrel. 
View Quote
the dreaded poly - choke LOL   That was the thing back then.  My grandfathers mod 11 has a barrel with it, thank goodness he kept a stock barrel too.  

At least my A5 16 ga is stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice. Looking for an old A5 myself now. Got a newer, great condition one from another member, and want an older, semi rough one to go with it.

If the barrel's already modified, I'd think long and hard about cutting for choke tubes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are a couple of junker FN A-5s at my LGS that have solid rib barrels. I'm thinking of buying one just for the barrel.

Quoted:
Is that  the one that was confiscated in Massachusetts yesterday
That might have been a 3-shot Model 11 Sportsman but yeah, I was thinking the same thing.....Fucking Nazis.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice.. I'd love to find a nice A5... to go with my two Model 81s.

One of mine (.300 Savage) was made in January 1946, the other in June 1947. I think the '46 rifle was probably one of the first that Remington made after the war. I think I heard of a small number being made in 1943, but most of Remington's production went into other things during the war.

Very awesome rifles... John Browning was a genius.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Whippit! Whippit good!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whippit! Whippit good!
View Quote
A real Whippit should be made of a Remington Model 11....If you are going to go all B&C, do it right.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#14]
not the best pic but the top is my grandfather's A5 sweet 16.  I personally have put a serious hurt on the squirrel and rabbit population with it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#15]
best shot gun ever
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice.

Now SBS that bitch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice.

Now SBS that bitch.
View Quote
Blasphemy.

Plus I already have a bad-ass Rhodesian A-5.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#18]
My dad had a Browning Sweet 16 with a gold trigger, damn thing weighed a ton.

It left a huge bruise on my shoulder when I was 8 years old and I showed that bruise proudly to any adult that cared to look at it, because I shot dad's shotgun.

I'm old and gray now...sure miss my dad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I read the old ones have a series of stars stamped on the barrel to show what the choke on the barrel is.

Mine had a polychoke on it when I bought it - and no stars nor any abbreviation (like full, mod, imp) to show what the choke is/was.

I was going to have a gunsmith cut off the polychoke and shorten the barrel.  He advised me not to do that because he said some of the old ones came from the factory with polychokes on them.

I left it alone, the barrel I mean.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Those barrels are becoming pretty hard to find.

I really want a slug barrel but I'm not paying what people are wanting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad had a Browning Sweet 16 with a gold trigger, damn thing weighed a ton.

It left a huge bruise on my shoulder when I was 8 years old and I showed that bruise proudly to any adult that cared to look at it, because I shot dad's shotgun.

I'm old and gray now...sure miss my dad.
View Quote
Mine weighs about 6.5 pounds.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Blasphemy.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/fder07.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

Now SBS that bitch.
Blasphemy.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/fder07.jpg
I've never even heard of such! It's badass! A5s and clones are really hard to find in my area. When I do see them, they are in terrible shape and around $400.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I read the old ones have a series of stars stamped on the barrel to show what the choke on the barrel is.

Mine had a polychoke on it when I bought it - and no stars nor any abbreviation (like full, mod, imp) to show what the choke is/was.

I was going to have a gunsmith cut off the polychoke and shorten the barrel.  He advised me not to do that because he said some of the old ones came from the factory with polychokes on them.

I left it alone, the barrel I mean.
View Quote
I have several Auto 5's.  I bought an honest wear 1959 at a yard sale about 15 years ago for $275.  It had a 30 inch barrel with a damn polychoke hanging of the end of it  I had the barrel trimmed to 20 inches and put a magazine extension on it (BPS magazine extension works great).  I now use it as one of my HD guns.  I saw a guy at a three gun match last year and he was using an Auto 5.  I was like wow!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never even heard of such! It's badass! A5s and clones are really hard to find in my area. When I do see them, they are in terrible shape and around $400.
View Quote
I had a Savage A-5 Ultra Light clone (alum receiver) that I was going to "Whippet" but a friend really wanted it so I traded it to him for a Colt Police Positive. Good trade and all but the "Whippit-will" is there but no luck yet finding a suitable M-11 to work with.

Other than the 3-shot M-11 Sportsman I've not seen a Model 11 12 ga A-5 clone for a reasonable price for quite a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I found this 1957 FN-made 12ga Auto-5 yesterday. Honest wear. Original finish. 25.5" (counting the barrel extension) modified plain barrel. Honest wear with no cracks in the stock/hand-guard, FN butt-plate is in very nice shape.  I bought it because of overall condition the much more handy/useful modified barrel.  I gave $300.00 for it.

It seems every Auto-5 of that vintage (or older) I have come across lately has a 30"+ full-choke vent or solid rib barrel with a aftermarket recoil pad installed.....And a poly-choke to boot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN6270--2--189940.JPG
View Quote

Yeah had a retired coworker ask me to try to sell his , last summer before he fled N.Y. His had a polychoke and he wanted top dollar. I said no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#26]
SBS it!

Pre Rem Model 11
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top