Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 12:21:15 PM EDT
Where can I find a sensor that I can place high up on the wall or in the ceiling that is discrete and that I can connect to the room lighting?  I've seen these setups in office buildings and some newer construction outside the US so I'd like to install in my bathroom.  I purchased one of the light switch/dimmer/sensor combos but it is not exactly what I would like.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Search occupancy sensor.  You'll need to wire to a relay or contactor of some type.  I'm not an electrician, but this might point you in the right direction.

https://www.grainger.com/product/ACUITY-SENSOR-SWITCH-Dual-Technology-Occupancy-6DXE6?opr=APPD&pbi=2HTF4&analytics=altItems
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Search for "Occupancy Sensor".

I use Sensor Switch models.  
There are direct wire 120VAC models and low voltage 12/24VDC models for use with control/alarm panels.
For simple lighting control, the 120VAC models work well.

For lighting control you want an occupancy sensor vice a security type motion sensor.
Automation/occupancy sensors are programmed to trip much more easily, so they are more sensitive.
Security motion sensors are designed to avoid nuisance trips and are less sensitive, so they can produce unsatisfactory results when used for automation only.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Search for "Occupancy Sensor".

I use Sensor Switch models.  
There are direct wire 120VAC models and low voltage 12/24VDC models for use with control/alarm panels.
For simple lighting control, the 120VAC models work well.

For lighting control you want an occupancy sensor vice a security type motion sensor.
Automation/occupancy sensors are programmed to trip much more easily, so they are more sensitive.
Security motion sensors are designed to avoid nuisance trips and are less sensitive, so they can produce unsatisfactory results when used for automation only.
View Quote
Thanks for the information.  I was looking at occupancy sensors but wasn't sure what would fit my needs.  I don't need anything fancy but thought something that tied into my lights would work better than an all-inclusive unit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QXIMC0?tag=vglnk-c102-20

It's line voltage, and dual tech.  
It uses both PIR and audio.
The audio helps keep it tripped if you're sitting in a chair watching TV and not moving around a lot to keep tripping the PIR.
It's fairly small and low profile.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QXIMC0?tag=vglnk-c102-20

It's line voltage, and dual tech.  
It uses both PIR and audio.
The audio helps keep it tripped if you're sitting in a chair watching TV and not moving around a lot to keep tripping the PIR.
It's fairly small and low profile.
View Quote
That one looks good.  Probably mounts like a smoke detector to a 1G box.  Just get a 3 wire romex up to it from the switch, bet it needs a neutral.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That one looks good.  Probably mounts like a smoke detector to a 1G box.  Just get a 3 wire romex up to it from the switch, bet it needs a neutral.
View Quote
The SenorSwitch website has install pdfs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top