Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 5:42:07 PM EDT
Anyone use one? Good to go for el cheapo? Looking for a nice reloading/work bench for my rental house.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't like mine.  Should have just built a bench along the whole wall.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the metal bench with the drawers and the light, have been satisfied with it for less than $100
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Which bench?  Maybe this one?

60in. 4-drawer Hardwood Bench
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
built a bench along the whole wall.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the one!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I built my own using a couple of 2x4s and a sheet of 3/4" plywood.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
It's meh. I have one.

I'd rather buy a wood counter top from Ikea and put legs on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought this from Sams along with other garage cabinets.  It works great with my Dillon 550b and accessories.  Plenty of room and weight.  

I had one that I built, however the wife wanted everything to match and be nice, so she approved buying all new stuff for the garage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have that one.  It works OK, but it is a bit on the sucky side
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have this bench and like it.   Not sure if I would use it for reloading. though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one. Works good for its purpose. It's sturdy and doesn't move on me.

The bad:
The shelf underneath is not load bearing. If you put too much weight on it, it flexes and falls out
It's a little lower than I would like in a reloading bench. I have to bend over or squat to get the handle all the way down.
I had to mount the press on the side. If you mount it on the front, you can't open the drawers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought this from Sams along with other garage cabinets.  It works great with my Dillon 550b and accessories.  Plenty of room and weight.  

I had one that I built, however the wife wanted everything to match and be nice, so she approved buying all new stuff for the garage.
View Quote
404 not found
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the same bench, it is covered with presses. You can never have too many presses.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have three of them. My only complaint is they are pretty narrow. If they had about another 6" in width they would be great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one. Works good for its purpose. It's sturdy and doesn't move on me.

The bad:
The shelf underneath is not load bearing. If you put too much weight on it, it flexes and falls out
It's a little lower than I would like in a reloading bench. I have to bend over or squat to get the handle all the way down.
I had to mount the press on the side. If you mount it on the front, you can't open the drawers.
View Quote
Get an Ultra Mount from Inline Fabrication to raise your press to a good working height.

Ultra Mount
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have three of them. My only complaint is they are pretty narrow. If they had about another 6" in width they would bes great.
View Quote
Narrow works for me. I really just need a bench to put a single small vise for AR work and a single stage press. Sounds like this is the one. Not much room left in 800 sqft house. This'll work. What's needed to put these things together? Any drilling? Do they come finished or can I stain it to match the room?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a screw gun. They come pre finished too. I got my 3rd one assembled in 30 minutes. I don't think you will be disappointed.  Be sure to reinforce under where you bolt your press on.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome. Yeah I'm a po' boy. Don't have oodles of money and this looked like a good buy. Got a single AR I'm going to work on and will be building an ar10 later this year and doing some reloading for it. That's it. Very light use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
That HF one looks like a shit choice.  The one linked to sams club is rock solid.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This one.  I have it in my fish camp garage.  Solid mount for my dillon even without bolting it to the wall.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Home Depot folding work bench.. Its the greatest!!! $75

Work bench
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two of the wooden ones.  I have a rubber mat on top of one, and use it as a firearms workbench.  I put casters on one, and roll it around the basement.  

I thought the quality was very good.  The drawers are felt lined, and look great.  The finish is good and it's sturdy.  The vise on the end holds a magazine mount for an AR.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I have that one.  Kinda a few frustrating points building it.   One drawer had messed up ball bearing guides.  Other than that, for $130 or so it is GTG.
Solid, heavy, great storage.  Did I mention it was solid?   Holds my Dillon 550B great!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two of the Harbor Freight benches in my Man cave.
One for gunsmithing and cleaning and the other for reloading.
On both benches I left off the wood vice that came with them.
On the gunsmith on I have a Craftsman vice mounted.
On the reloading one I have my Dillion Square deal and my Rcbs Rockchucker mounted.
The reloading one I removed the top draws and just mounted the front of the draw with four screws. As you can access the top draw with the presses.
Bottom draws work fine if you move the presses ram up.
I like both benches. Look great, not too wide , very solid.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Better off building one.

Any 'work bench' is usually to low for a comfortable reloading bench.

A good reloading bench has a 4"-6" higher top so you aren't always bending over
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have it to.  Drawers barely hold anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have two of the Harbor Freight benches in my Man cave.
One for gunsmithing and cleaning and the other for reloading.
On both benches I left off the wood vice that came with them.
On the gunsmith on I have a Craftsman vice mounted.
On the reloading one I have my Dillion Square deal and my Rcbs Rockchucker mounted.
The reloading one I removed the top draws and just mounted the front of the draw with four screws. As you can access the top draw with the presses.
Bottom draws work fine if you move the presses ram up.
I like both benches. Look great, not too wide , very solid.
View Quote
Yeah I'm probably leaving the vise off too. I don't need much. 60 inches is PLENTY for the spot I've picked.

I'll get me a nice wilton or whatnot vise for one end and put my Rockchucker on the other. Done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
500 lb harbor freight machine stand works great.  It won't hold 500 lb worth of machines (ask me how I know), but it makes a great reloading bench if you bolt 2x4s across the top.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Narrow works for me. I really just need a bench to put a single small vise for AR work and a single stage press. Sounds like this is the one. Not much room left in 800 sqft house. This'll work. What's needed to put these things together? Any drilling? Do they come finished or can I stain it to match the room?
View Quote
Prefinished, but you can use some poly stain over the top of the finish if you want darker.  I also used Gorilla glue on the joints when assembling mine.  Makes it very sturdy.  I did add some wooden cleats under the bottom shelf to stiffen it up.  I can keep lots of brass on the shelf, but usually keep it clear under the press (makes a good footrest!).  I use a Dillon with a Strong Mount and have no issues with it being tall enough.  Just make sure everything is square as you're putting it together and use glue for all joints!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#32]
20 feet and about $300 and worth every penny.  These old pics are from the day it was done.  

2x4's, 2x6's, 4x4's, 3/4 plywood, masonite, construction adhesive and creativity.  I should have had plans, but I just decided to wing it.  I put a fully dressed 454 and 2 TH400 transmissions on it immediatly to load test it.  No issues, so I'm good.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought a $40 plastic folding table from Lowes and mounted a press and vise on it.

I did have to mount both the press and vise on 2x6s and counter balance each with three cases of ammo
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Built mine used a solid door and ran mounts into the wall. Used thread inserts for wood to mount various attachments so the top was nice and clean and nothing protrudes below the bottom of the bench.

Then I built a bench storage seat my father decided it needed storage trays so we added a rail, and buily boxes.  Brass piano hinge and a stop along with brass chest handles. Holds 3 presses and everything else for the bench. Have 3 presses mounted on the bench as well.  

Cant link to it from here but it was the best thing Ive come up with that was a work of art and functional. It does not move, even swaging 50BMG bullets cant rip it off the wall.  

I looked at the thing from china freigth but I couldnt justify spending $ on something I would have to modify to make it what I needed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's meh. I have one.

I'd rather buy a wood counter top from Ikea and put legs on it.
View Quote
this, I was all excited about buying two of them for my reloading area and then found out how thin the actual bench was.  Some may be happy but I doubt I would be, so I went another way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I've played with the wooden one in the store. I wasn't impressed by it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#37]
My advice is get two shelf brackets and bolt it to the wall. Really firms things up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Build this instead

For about 100 bucks.  Will be much sturdier.  I customized my two with shelves on the top and lights,etc.  They only take a couple hours to build.  Minimal tools needed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's the one!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one!!!
those are pretty shallow.

i keep looking at this as an extra bench in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041HH2D6?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Go to your local lumber yard that has a kitchen department and see if they have an mis-ordered or damaged in shipping formica countertop.  Usually dirt cheap and you only have to add legs and a wall support to get it to the custom height you want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Work bench
View Quote
STOP,

he wants to reload on it, it needs to be rock solid
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That HF one looks like a shit choice.  The one linked to sams club is rock solid.
View Quote
This 

The HF sucks, but what do I know. Go to the store and shake the display modle with one finger, and think about spending the extra $30 fot this one. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2

The sams club bench is a heavy steady sturdy cast iron solid cunt.

This is no choice, under stand?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Get the Seville Classic butcher block bench from Sams Club $200
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I looked at the HF ones in the store.  Both of the ones I saw had the tops splitting due to drying.
I built this instead.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I put together one of these for my Dad..  It is a decent bench for the price. 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/48-Birch-Reloading-Workbench/T10730
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
STOP,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work bench
STOP,

I mounted my RCBS Rockchucker to the Black & Decker WorkMate 225 - worked like a charm.

Well, I might have modified it to make it rock solid...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a stack on reloading bench from Cabellas..was fine as bought, but wanted more room so replaced the top with my own doubled up that is 12" bigger then the original...have 1 screw into a wall stud at each end so it doesn't bang around when being used..works great..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top