Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/4/2017 10:04:49 PM EDT

The Iowa House has already passed it. It still needs to go back and have 1 amendment approved by the House but it is minor and will be passed...

This was a huge gun bill for us and was hard fought. The Iowa Firearms Coalition is owed an extremely large thanks as is everyone who called their reps, and even people here from all over the country who called the State Switchboard in support from another thread I made a few weeks ago.

Some of the major points of Bill 517:

HF 517 covers a diverse range of important issues for gun owners.  Included in HF 517 are the following pro-gun reforms:

Stand Your Ground – Under HF 517 a law-abiding citizen would have no duty to retreat from any place where the person is lawfully present before using force to defend themselves.

4th Amendment protections in regards to “going armed with intent” – HF 517 clarifies that the intent element for the crime of “going armed with a dangerous weapon with intent to use it without justification,” a Class D felony under state law, cannot be presumed or inferred from the mere carrying or concealment of a firearm on or about the person or in a vehicle.

Capitol Carry – Prevents the Director of the Department of Administrative Services from prohibiting the otherwise lawful carrying, transportation, or possession of any handgun in or on any capitol buildings.

Restricting State of Emergency Powers – Prevents the Governor, any state official, an official of any political subdivision acting at the direction of the Governor, and other officials from exercising powers during a proclaimed state of emergency to prohibit, regulate, or curtail the otherwise lawful possession, carrying, transportation, transfer or defensive use of firearms or ammunition, or to seize or confiscate legally possessed firearms and ammunition.

Youth Shooting and Parental Rights – HF 517 would give Iowa youth the ability to learn handgun safety only “under the direct supervision” of a parent or other specified responsible, authorized adult in a safe and responsible way.

Permit Privacy – The bill restricts the use and disclosure of information acquired about holders of nonprofessional permits to carry weapons and permits to acquire firearms. The Commissioner of Public Safety and any issuing officer (County Sheriff) would be required to keep confidential all personally identifiable information about such individuals, except for expressly authorized disclosures.

Numerous additional changes to the laws regarding concealed carry and the permitting process.

SBR/SBS's Allowed to be owned in State of Iowa

Lifetime Permits brought in, instead of renewwal every 5 years.

Language cleaned up in some other areas without actual changes.

If I missed anything please someone else let me know!

Anyways, the Gov. has already stated he will sign it, so very soon our 2A rights in the great state of Iowa will be among the best in the Nation, which is a huge deal for us, as this is a state which historically tends to be very moderate and not swing too far one direction or the other, so that should tell you how hard this has been fought for many years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I laughed at the "omg this is racism" argument.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I never thought I would see this day tbh. We have been doing our happy dance tonight
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent.   
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations people of Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Very happy for the people of Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
this all day! Thanks to everyone that helped get this done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats.    
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!

Explain the teenager handgun education stuff. It sounds like parents couldn't let kids shoot a handgun previously. If so, that's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, at least the states are doing their part to further gun rights.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome! As a born and raised Iowan, this is heartening.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/eTOELUm.jpg

The Iowa House has already passed it. It still needs to go back and have 1 amendment approved by the House but it is minor and will be passed...

This was a huge gun bill for us and was hard fought. The Iowa Firearms Coalition is owed an extremely large thanks as is everyone who called their reps, and even people here from all over the country who called the State Switchboard in support from another thread I made a few weeks ago.

Some of the major points of Bill 517:

HF 517 covers a diverse range of important issues for gun owners.  Included in HF 517 are the following pro-gun reforms:

Stand Your Ground – Under HF 517 a law-abiding citizen would have no duty to retreat from any place where the person is lawfully present before using force to defend themselves.

4th Amendment protections in regards to “going armed with intent” – HF 517 clarifies that the intent element for the crime of “going armed with a dangerous weapon with intent to use it without justification,” a Class D felony under state law, cannot be presumed or inferred from the mere carrying or concealment of a firearm on or about the person or in a vehicle.

Capitol Carry – Prevents the Director of the Department of Administrative Services from prohibiting the otherwise lawful carrying, transportation, or possession of any handgun in or on any capitol buildings.

Restricting State of Emergency Powers – Prevents the Governor, any state official, an official of any political subdivision acting at the direction of the Governor, and other officials from exercising powers during a proclaimed state of emergency to prohibit, regulate, or curtail the otherwise lawful possession, carrying, transportation, transfer or defensive use of firearms or ammunition, or to seize or confiscate legally possessed firearms and ammunition.

Youth Shooting and Parental Rights – HF 517 would give Iowa youth the ability to learn handgun safety only “under the direct supervision” of a parent or other specified responsible, authorized adult in a safe and responsible way.

Permit Privacy – The bill restricts the use and disclosure of information acquired about holders of nonprofessional permits to carry weapons and permits to acquire firearms. The Commissioner of Public Safety and any issuing officer (County Sheriff) would be required to keep confidential all personally identifiable information about such individuals, except for expressly authorized disclosures.

Numerous additional changes to the laws regarding concealed carry and the permitting process.

SBR/SBS's Allowed to be owned in State of Iowa

Lifetime Permits brought in, instead of renewwal every 5 years.

Language cleaned up in some other areas without actual changes.

If I missed anything please someone else let me know!

Anyways, the Gov. has already stated he will sign it, so very soon our 2A rights in the great state of Iowa will be among the best in the Nation, which is a huge deal for us, as this is a state which historically tends to be very moderate and not swing too far one direction or the other, so that should tell you how hard this has been fought for many years.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Congratulations!

Explain the teenager handgun education stuff. It sounds like parents couldn't let kids shoot a handgun previously. If so, that's ridiculous.
View Quote
Under 14 were not allowed to legally handle handguns in Iowa, even though they could handle long guns, and yes, it was ridiculous and is no more. An amendment was tacked on to this one by the Senate that states that adults supervising those under 14 can not be drinking alcohol. That is what needs to be re-voted on by the House, but no problems with that I do not think.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Congratulations people of Iowa!
View Quote
This! Good job people!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
WINNING

Making Iowa Great Again!

I notified my IA reps supporting this bill, did my part.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Under 14 were not allowed to legally handle handguns in Iowa, even though they could handle long guns, and yes, it was ridiculous and is no more. An amendment was tacked on to this one by the Senate that states that adults supervising those under 14 can not be drinking alcohol. That is what needs to be re-voted on by the House, but no problems with that I do not think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congratulations!

Wow! That's some dumb shit and major win. Good job!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess IA is back on the list for retirement ranch hunting.

Congrats bros

ETA: where y'all at on cans?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Huge win here today.

It's been a long day at work, and I've been trying to follow the developments all day.

I hope I'm wrong, but I thought Capital Carry got reworded to allow gun stored in vehicle, but you still can't carry in the capital building.

Lot going on today at my work aside from trying to follow the votes on this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Former Iowa resident... This pleases me greatly!  Go Hawkeyes!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Congrats bros

View Quote
Cans have been good to go since sometime last year. I'm waiting on the HPA to pass before I get into the can game. Too pricey right now, with not enough reason for me to get one other than I want one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Congrats bros

View Quote
GTG.. Hearing protection Act in Iowa passed last year
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
With Gronstal and Sodders out, it actually got a chance.  A lot of hard work was done by our 2A people in Iowa and it is paying off. A big Thank You to them!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cans have been good to go since sometime last year. I'm waiting on the HPA to pass before I get into the can game. Too pricey right now, with not enough reason for me to get one other than I want one.
View Quote
This is how we are looking at it too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Those of us East of the river congratulate you...and also envy you somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Huge win here today.

It's been a long day at work, and I've been trying to follow the developments all day.

I hope I'm wrong, but I thought Capital Carry got reworded to allow gun stored in vehicle, but you still can't carry in the capital building.

Lot going on today at my work aside from trying to follow the votes on this.
View Quote
I could be wrong and that could be true. I did not hear about that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Born and bred Missourian, who spent a decent amount of time living in Kansas who now lives in Iowa and is stoked this passed!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

GTG.. Hearing protection Act in Iowa passed last year
View Quote
To clarify Big Pony's post, HPA in Iowa legalized suppressors for us in Iowa, it has nothing to do with the HPA bill that is in play at the federal level currently, that would remove suppressors from the list of NFA items.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulation, great news.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Born and raised in a little town south of Davenport, Iowa.... Been a Kansas City resident though since 1999. Considering moving back home but always turned off by Iowa's firearms laws. This sorta changes that picture for me. Might be time to start considering more seriously.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
This has been hard fought for years to get this far, and it's extremely gratifying.  Thank you to everyone who helped get this passed.  Hell yeah!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Congratulations Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Fantastic news!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats Iowa

Meanwhile, I'm still pissed MN's stand your ground got removed from the omnibus and set up as its own bill. It'll surely get veto'd if it makes it to the governors desk.

At least we can all get suppressors now!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Congratulations Iowa!

Its nice to see that firearms owners are respected and represented enough in some states to get awesome pro-gun bills through.  

Its too bad that Washington State can't also be sharing in freedom.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#43]
With all of this stuff passing I'm going to go broke.

Good job to everyone who were on the front lines making calls and going to meetings. I thank you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Congrats to the simple plains folk to the south from cheddarhead land.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
No more Sig Braces? Take my money now!

Also good to see my rep Lofgren with a y next to his name
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Congratulations Iowa! It's really nice to see purplish states moving forward with gun rights.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's fantastic news!  Congratulations!!  
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I never thought I would see this day tbh. We have been doing our happy dance tonight
View Quote
Damn straight
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Never been to Iowa but hope you all are doing well over there. Party on Fellow Arfcommers Party on. Maybe a victory gun splurge is in order? Maybe a P229 or a G19?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top