User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 99
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNgan:
@LittlePony

What do you think of the new Kia Seltos? Any chance that Kia will offer a better non-turbo engine option or a real auto trans option in the future?

I am think about the Seltos S model, + the AWD option and the remote engine start, and in two tone white and blue color.

my other option is the base LX model but feel it's too striped down and cheap out. Unfortunately, the turbo diesel engine and manual trans option will not be coming to the US models.
View Quote

at this point anymore i think the traditional automatics for base cars are dead across the board, they are just not efficient enough for mpg and emissions, the MPI Nu is a nice unit i must say, its plenty for our 2020 soul

i would go for the S awd model myself as well as it is the best value.

and honestly the diesel engines are gonna be disappearing for all but Asia, Africa, South America and maybe some Eastern Europe holdouts as city bans on ICEs and tightening emissions standards are killing them off REALLY quick.

we might end up with a seltos in a few years actually but we are gonna see what the new sportage is like first.

@TNgan
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
@LittlePony

My Niro threw an engine light and gave me an audible warning 'there may be a problem with the engine control system'

The engine light has since gone out, but I have it scheduled to be looked at when I get the oil changed later this month.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Andras:
@LittlePony

My Niro threw an engine light and gave me an audible warning 'there may be a problem with the engine control system'

The engine light has since gone out, but I have it scheduled to be looked at when I get the oil changed later this month.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks
View Quote

iv seen a few things, that is just a generic warning for the hybrid powertrain, could be anyone of a thousand things, let me know what they find.

@Andras
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
At least its a good Kia day
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
So in Japan it's very expensive/ cost-prohibitive to own a "large" and powerful car. Is Korea more friendly for sporty cars like the Stinger?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I am thinking of getting a used 2018 Sorento EX with AWD, 3.3 V6. Found some in 16-24k mileage and 19-24k in cost. Any issues with them lately? I'm having a hard time finding it locally. Found a couple in NJ and PA. I'm guessing with 2021 just starting, the 3 year leases on 2018 are not yet coming in and inventory will increase. I want the AWD and 3rd row seating and a few other options because I have a little shit that's 9 months old.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife saw a white night Telluride, we drove, it's nice. Might say too nice. $$$$

The Hyundai we had years ago was built good, but the drivetrain is crap. Dont know if just luck of the draw or typical.

What am I in for long term?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#8]
---
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Went down to the dealer for a free car wash and saw a rare bird! A new '21 Sportage SX AWD in metallic red/gray sitting in the front 'hot spot'. Beautiful car but I like my '17 Sportage SX better. Glad I saw it because I had been getting that new car urge. Hope I can still resist when the '22 comes out. I guess it will be a redesign, the 5G. The SX is very hard to find for sale because most people want the cheaper LX/EX, and the dealers don't order the SX.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By djkest:
So in Japan it's very expensive/ cost-prohibitive to own a "large" and powerful car. Is Korea more friendly for sporty cars like the Stinger?
View Quote

yes, they dont have a displacement tax too

but they dont allow cars that produce noise over a certain amount, so you cant get a Corvette and a few others.

hence is why BMW and Mercedes have their own special extra quite exhaust systems just for Korea for M and AMG cars

@djkest
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DefMan:
I am thinking of getting a used 2018 Sorento EX with AWD, 3.3 V6. Found some in 16-24k mileage and 19-24k in cost. Any issues with them lately? I'm having a hard time finding it locally. Found a couple in NJ and PA. I'm guessing with 2021 just starting, the 3 year leases on 2018 are not yet coming in and inventory will increase. I want the AWD and 3rd row seating and a few other options because I have a little shit that's 9 months old.
View Quote

only a few electronic rear diff coupler issues

V6 or bust, and i really mean that

would not mind one myself, used EX is quite the value

@DefMan
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bigriver:
Wife saw a white night Telluride, we drove, it's nice. Might say too nice. $$$$

The Hyundai we had years ago was built good, but the drivetrain is crap. Dont know if just luck of the draw or typical.

What am I in for long term?
View Quote

were alot better than the old days pre 2011 thats for sure
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mikNtx:
@LittlePony, thanks for the thread.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/2268/20210111_170220_jpg-1775319.JPG

i recently bought my daughter a 2018 kia soul 1million edition 2.0 and five speed auto with 28k mi.  just like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgVvThm9f2g.  i must say its a neat car loaded with a lot of goodies.  over the holidays at 30k, i changed the oil 5/30 mobil1(instead of 5/20), cabin filter, and updated the map. also pulled the front end off and replaced the horn with a pair of fiamm freeway blasters.   cannot think of anything else to change except brakes and transmission fluid, but thats a 60k mi item.

its kind of clumsy to drive in eco transmission mode, ok in normal mode, but is a blast in sport mode, like a go kart when using the sport shifter.  is there anything i should monitor or be careful of with transmission, engine, or other stuff?  2018's seem to not have the problems of the earlier models.  i read the kia forums (  https://www.kia-forums.com, https://www.kiasoulforums.com, http://www.kiamanuals.org, please recommend some) and it seems like a pretty solid car.

please share if there's something to know of or your opinion about the 2.0 5spd auto soul (i think the cvt's are new in the 2020's).

thanks in advance..  

mikntx

eta pic of front end. easy to take off.. lol

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/2268/20210111_172746_jpg-1775352.JPG
View Quote

just change the engine oil every 3750miles and the transmission every 60k and you are set, btw its a 6 speed transmission, i always liked that color.

@mikNtx
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:42:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#14]
Originally Posted By DefMan:
View Quote

Get a 2019, they switched over to the 8-speed transmission that is used in a bunch of other KIA and Hyundai models. Smoother acceleration and better mileage.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#15]
LP, have you heard how much HP the block of the stingers V6 can handle?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By midcap:
View Quote

Don't know, can't find the psi specs, no one but Hyundai group knows for sure.

@midcap
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

@midcap
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@midcap

I hear ya. Seems like a good engine.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently picked up a 2020 Kia Sorento LX.  Love the car itself, but the seats are causing me a ton of pain.

1. Can I go to a junkyard and get some leather seats to swap out?  
2. Do you know what model year seats are compatible with the 2020?  
3. Will I need to have any wiring run for power?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By veritas8985:
I recently picked up a 2020 Kia Sorento LX.  Love the car itself, but the seats are causing me a ton of pain.

1. Can I go to a junkyard and get some leather seats to swap out?  
2. Do you know what model year seats are compatible with the 2020?  
3. Will I need to have any wiring run for power?

TIA
View Quote

An equivalent 19 or 20 will bolt right in

But don't expect any thing like power seats to work

I think even the base trims of a Sorento have adjustable lumbar if that's your issue

@veritas8985
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]

I think even the base trims of a Sorento have adjustable lumbar if that's your issue

@veritas8985
View Quote

Not that I know of.
A 2018-2020 Sorrento EX should have lumbar support.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Not that I know of.
A 2018-2020 Sorrento EX should have lumbar support.
View Quote

This one is the LX.  There is a package where the LX seats have lumbar support, but not in this model.

The LX probably doesn't have power running to the front seat like the others.  How hard is that to do?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
@LittlePony

My wife has a 2013 Optima, pretty sure its the base model. Any ideas why it would be burning oil? The last few oil changes her car has been low but its not leaking externally as we don't have any oil on our driveway. I'm concerned its leaking internally. Any ideas? It has just under 100k miles.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By veritas8985:

This one is the LX.  There is a package where the LX seats have lumbar support, but not in this model.

The LX probably doesn't have power running to the front seat like the others.  How hard is that to do?
View Quote

not vary, sorta, but uh, yeah to properly set that up, OEM wise, you are spending 1/4 of the vehicles worth

new floor harness, new junction box, maybe new bcm.

basically for Hyundai group stuff is so trim specific "for cost and production sake" that if you really want those power seats then well you might as well buy a suv or car already with them

but we are not unique in this way

@veritas8985
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mwin323:
@LittlePony

My wife has a 2013 Optima, pretty sure its the base model. Any ideas why it would be burning oil? The last few oil changes her car has been low but its not leaking externally as we don't have any oil on our driveway. I'm concerned its leaking internally. Any ideas? It has just under 100k miles.

Thanks!
View Quote

how much we talking about? like 1 and 1/2qts in like 4000miles? if so its fine

ill explain

especially at that mileage, low tension oil control piston rings can get caked in carbon now days.

our oil consumption spec is 1 Quart every 1000k miles or less, we are not the only ones with this spec, there is like 12 other brands that are the same way, not exaggerating.

if its eating 1 and a 1/2 or so every 1k then yes you have a problem, valve seals or cracked rings are the most often the culprits

you can blame it on a few things

gas direct injection, EPA emission standards, MPG goals or requirements, turbo charging becoming a non negotiable necessity, low tension piston rings, coated pistons, super high compression ratios that were only seen in race cars in the 2000s, thermal efficiency ratios higher than what was thought to be totally impossible and good old tight budgets.

that is just the industry now, gone are the days of under stressed naturally asperated MPI engines from the 90s and 00s

@mwin323
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
2020 was Kias best year ever

crazy
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#26]
Whelp, our family is expanding so we want to upgrade the wife's Outback to a 3-row SUV (new). The Sorento and Telluride are both contenders (Subaru Ascent is as well). Thoughts?

2 carseats, a big dog, and a stroller will be the standard loadout.

@LittlePony
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#27]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Whelp, our family is expanding so we want to upgrade the wife's Outback to a 3-row SUV (new). The Sorento and Telluride are both contenders (Subaru Ascent is as well). Thoughts?

2 carseats, a big dog, and a stroller will be the standard loadout.

@LittlePony
View Quote

Subaru will have a better awd system as it is a geared so its on all the time but we have better interiors and we don't have flat 4 engine quirks

We also have a way better warranty than them

Big dog? I'd go telluride

@RayFromJersey
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 2015 Sorento and need a spare key.  
The one I have is a flip key, laser.  Dealer says 350 bucks.  Is this real?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By oarlock:
I have a 2015 Sorento and need a spare key.  
The one I have is a flip key, laser.  Dealer says 350 bucks.  Is this real?
View Quote

Sounds about right yes, Most of the cost is the fob

Modern car keys are nuts

Getting a replacement key for some ultra high end cars like rolls Royce or somthing is absurdly expensive because they use crystal frequency circuits, Yes actual crystals,They are like 5 grand a piece

@oarlock
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
... soon

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/01/14/kia-egmp-electric-cars-teased/

During a presentation about Kia's rebranding, from its new logo to dealer design, the company also provided a peek at the electric vehicles coming in the near future. A total of nine models were shown, from normal consumer cars to specialty vehicles for commercial applications. The first will be revealed in just a few months, and seven will be launched by 2027.

The new electric lineup will have names from EV1 to EV9. The company didn't say if the naming scheme will be based on the size of the vehicle or its chronological release date. We would bet on the latter so that the naming isn't confusing over time. Of the nine vehicles previewed, five of them seemed to be consumer models. No names were given, but descriptions were. They included a "fun and practical commuter," a "powerful and dynamic crossover," a "strong and bold SUV," an "agile and dynamic machine," and a "long and elegant sedan." They're shown in order in the gallery at the top.

Kia electric crossover
The first of these cars will use the E-GMP platform. That means it will either be rear-wheel drive with a single motor or all-wheel drive with a rear-drive bias using dual motors. It will also support 800-volt fast charging. This platform is being shared with Hyundai, Genesis and Ioniq, and the first car to use it will be the Ioniq 5. We believe this first E-GMP Kia will be the car referred to as a "powerful and dynamic crossover," and is shown in the image with red lighting. The reason for this is that the shape seems to match that of the Kia electric prototypes that our spy photographers have caught. It's also roughly the size and bodystyle of the Ioniq 5, but obviously with Kia-specific styling. Kia said the reveal will come this quarter, so we should only have to wait a few months.

The other four models shown were specialty vehicles for commercial use. They start with a "micro-autonomous pod," a "small individual urban transporter," a "mid-size commuter," and a "large logistic companion." They represent Kia's plans to expand beyond car manufacturing and sales to more mobility and commercial products and services.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had the Niro since March 2019 and have just about driven it 10,000 miles, would have been closer to 12k, but didn't get to go to Maine this year.

Question, is the paint on the roof rails a warranty item? The tops have suddenly faded pretty badly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Andras:
I've had the Niro since March 2019 and have just about driven it 10,000 miles, would have been closer to 12k, but didn't get to go to Maine this year.

Question, is the paint on the roof rails a warranty item? The tops have suddenly faded pretty badly.
View Quote

could be yes

take it in

@Andras
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#33]
---
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mikNtx:
@LittlePony , the soul i mentioned earlier has the push button start with smart key.   am i really limited just two FOBs?  i wanted to get extra keys, but it seems i'm stuck.  

alternate solution is to remove battery from second proximity smart fob and hide it inside car.   car can be started with batteryless key fob by pressing it to push button start (button energizes a fob with dead battery).  make extra of the physical door keys to access car if primary fob is lost or damaged.  hide a physical door key outside of car to get to fob inside car.

this is what the fob looks like.  i imagine others with smart key are in same situation of being limited to two fobs..

http://www.kisouman.com/images/books/386/1/page.h48.jpg

opinions?  let me know what you think.  thanks!
View Quote

You are correct most of our cars are limited to only 2 keys save for a few exceptions like the K900

A few backup Manual keys are handy

But if you are going to have a fob underneath the car with no battery in it you better make sure it's incased in some sort of container that is impervious to weather conditions

@mikNtx
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#35]
---
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
What you are saying about aftermarket remote starters and sunroofs applies to ALL makes of cars. Add to that aftermarket alarm systems.

What people don't understand is that virtually ALL sunroofs leak. Factory sunroofs are designed to capture and drain the leak outside the passenger compartment. Aftermarket sunroofs are going to leak inside your car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#37]
What’s your opinion on the Kia Telluride?

The wife wants one and like the 3rd row seating option. Are they nice or crap? Any known issues to report? Are they worth the price tag?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
What’s your opinion on the Kia Telluride?

The wife wants one and like the 3rd row seating option. Are they nice or crap? Any known issues to report? Are they worth the price tag?
View Quote

they are not the hottest selling suv in its class for nothing

one of the best we have honestly

lower production number 2020s were rough around the edges but all 2021s have been fine.

they are worth every penny, if you can find a place thats charging at MSRP and not over, you are lucky

the Telluride, Cadenza and K900 are our masterpieces at the moment

if they wont impress you after driving them in person then most likely nothing in our fleet will

@steve8140
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#39]
@marcmedic

I did respond

Shame it went to the black hole as I call it, ill post t my response here as well with a mentioned to you so you get it for sure

Mos of the current power unit k900 is detuned stinger so its fine powertrain wise rest of it is unique

Only issue is that it is rare here, really rare, like rolls royce sales numbers rare, big sedans are dead and  value brand image do not help it

Since it's so loaded 10 years down the line some interior gizmos might have issues.

I can only tell you so much as I have hardly even touched one

But congrats on buying my fav kia!

Its not as refined as a S class or LS 500 but if you need all the stuff for almost half the price there is no other option

I also recommended the Genesis G90, For about 20 to 30 grand more it is quite a bit more refined and has a 5 liter dual overhead Cam V8 option

But anyway you made an interesting choice That I really wish I could afford myself.

You might even occasionally some confused looks and questions about the car itself

I would not be able to help myself from being super coy "oh this? Its nothing too special~ "
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s an unbelievable car, and even more so at its price. I couldn’t think of a single option i would want on the car that it didn’t come with. Wanted something comfortable for long drives since my son will be playing college baseball in Terre Haute IN, and it’s a long enough drive from KC that i didn’t want to do it in the vehicle i had before.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#41]
A family friend is looking for a small suv to replace his wife's Ford escape. It is a 4x4.

What would you recommend for a replacement.

The Korean cabbies in town only drive kia's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
A family friend is looking for a small suv to replace his wife's Ford escape. It is a 4x4.

View Quote

I would say Sportage or Seltos

They are comparable to an escape and have awd

@akcaribouhunter
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]

@akcaribouhunter
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

@akcaribouhunter

Much thanks.
Will pass it along.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
How are the new Sorrentos??
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mwin323] [#45]

how much we talking about? like 1 and 1/2qts in like 4000miles? if so its fine

ill explain

especially at that mileage, low tension oil control piston rings can get caked in carbon now days.

our oil consumption spec is 1 Quart every 1000k miles or less, we are not the only ones with this spec, there is like 12 other brands that are the same way, not exaggerating.

if its eating 1 and a 1/2 or so every 1k then yes you have a problem, valve seals or cracked rings are the most often the culprits

you can blame it on a few things

gas direct injection, EPA emission standards, MPG goals or requirements, turbo charging becoming a non negotiable necessity, low tension piston rings, coated pistons, super high compression ratios that were only seen in race cars in the 2000s, thermal efficiency ratios higher than what was thought to be totally impossible and good old tight budgets.

that is just the industry now, gone are the days of under stressed naturally asperated MPI engines from the 90s and 00s

@mwin323
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I think it was about 2 Quarts low at 5000 miles. That's crazy the oil consumption spec is 1 Quart per 1k miles... I'm just glad to hear that it's most likely not leaking into something else or something crazy. We are starting to look at trading it in for a something AWD since she commutes 50 miles a day and winter roads suck. Thanks again for the info!

ETA... Does the new Sorento Hybrid really not come with an AWD option? Also, sorry it took a few days to respond...

@LittlePony
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#46]

@midcap
View All Quotes

@midcap

Have you ever warrantied a motor in a car with shoe polish numbers on the window?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

Have you ever warrantied a motor in a car with shoe polish numbers on the window?  
View Quote

Nope thank God
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
How are the new Sorrentos??
View Quote

Really really nice interiors

@Vengeance6661
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mwin323:

Thanks for the info. I think it was about 2 Quarts low at 5000 miles. That's crazy the oil consumption spec is 1 Quart per 1k miles... I'm just glad to hear that it's most likely not leaking into something else or something crazy. We are starting to look at trading it in for a something AWD since she commutes 50 miles a day and winter roads suck. Thanks again for the info!

ETA... Does the new Sorento Hybrid really not come with an AWD option? Also, sorry it took a few days to respond...

@LittlePony
View Quote

Odd.

I have service instructions on awd hybrid sorentos but I don't see any avalible in the country nor can you build one on the Kia website

They must not be quite ready for the American market yet, They didStart making these things Barely a few months agoBaby they will be available Later this year

@mwin323
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#50]
ETA on the K5 GT? Looking at the GT or an AWD GT line. Want to get hands on with both of them.
AWD seems to make more sense, but the HP of the GT is appealing.

Attachment Attached File

Side note, my wife loves the Sportage S I got her a few months back.
Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top