Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 2:09:37 PM EDT
How much differences do you see between different production lots of same ammo?
I used to have couple boxes of Federal Gold Match 308 ammo in one production lot that gave amazing accuracy from both of my target rifles.  Couple years later I picked up couple boxes of same ammo but different production let and it only gave decent accuracy.  Another is Remington hunting ammo I had purchased last year to replace ones from previous year performed terribly...again, same ammo but different production lot.  One big surprise is Winchester Super-X ammo I purchased from Walmart recently gave amazing accuracy while previous boxes I shot only gave moderate accuracy.  I went back and purchased every box they had in stock with same lot number.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen pretty significant shifts in different cases or lots of .223/556.  

If I'm going to a 3 gun match that I know I'll be shooting at 4 or 500 yards I always make sure I sight in with the same case I'm going to use at the match.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
couldn't have anything to do with the shooter could it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The real fact of lot performance became realized when I shot 22LR benchrest matches. Custom rifles, scopes, one piece rest and a forest of wind devices were a fail until you found the correct lot of high end ammo, and then bought enough of that lot to get you thru the season. Makes a case for reloading when you do develop a recipe of case, powder. primer, bullet that goes under 1/2" in a particular rifle.  Regards
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not enough to not make deaded
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top