Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 9:04:37 PM EDT
I was very fortunate and won a Double Star 10B rifle in the Arfcom Team Member Giveaway this year. I didn’t know anything about the Star 10B so I looked it up. It was a nice looking rifle with a lot of nice upgrades and I was floored and very happy to have won the rifle.

However, it turns out the rifle they had was actually a pre production rifle and not a current production model. There were several things with my rifle that were different than the current production model: No free float rail,(two piece railed hand guards and Delta Ring) no CMC trigger, (just plain milspec), no Wilson Air Gauged Barrel, no Hammer Buttstock, (plain jane M4 stock), No NIB X coated BCG etc.

I wound up buying a free float tube on black Friday, and installed it on the pre production rifle. I had decided at this point I was not going be keeping the rifle and would be selling it. I had even listed it up for sale here in EE.

It turns out the upper was out of spec and the rails on the top would not allow anything to be mounted to the rifle. I immediately closed the ad on the EE and contacted Double Star about it by phone. I wound up speaking to Doug, one of Double Star’s Armorers about the situation.

As soon as Doug heard what the problem was he asked me what the serial number was. The serial number for that particular rifle is 37. As soon as Doug heard that, he immediately told me he’d been looking for that rifle since it never should have left the factory. It was designed as a test mule for their bolts and barrels. Doug told me that it got sent out by mistake while he was at SHOT show one year. Doug immediately sent me an RMA a pre paid shipping label and promised to make things right.

I was expecting to get a new upper receiver that was within spec so I could mount things to the rail.

Instead, what I got was a brand new current production Star 10B rifle, 4 brand new 20 rd Pmags for it, a very nice soft case, and a bottle of Lucas Extreme gun oil!

This rifle’s serial number is in the 150’s and is amazing!

I have absolutely got to give Doug and Double Star kudos for their excellent customer service.

The downside of this is that I’ve decided to keep this rifle and I’m busy learning about scopes and pricing them out. First world problems, I know…

I’m really looking forward to the weather to get nicer so I can break the rifle in and see what it can do!

Thanks again to Doug and all the awesome people at Double Star, you guys built a nice rifle have world class customer service!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They make a great lower AR
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a really good rifle they're doing and Doug is one of my good friends there.

Nice gun

What kind of glass are you thinking of getting for it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a really good rifle they're doing and Doug is one of my good friends there.

Nice gun

What kind of glass are you thinking of getting for it?
View Quote

If Doug ever finds himself in St Louis, I'll be happy to buy him a beverage or three of his choice!

Thank you! I'm very happy with it and I havent even fired a shot through it.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3.5x15 FFP.....but there are SO many options out there, it's easy to get lost. I'm very new to optics and especially precision rifle optics, so I have a lot to learn before I make a decision.

What do you suggest?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been hearing good things about these rifles and I'm strongly considering buying one to get into the .308 AR game. I just wish they made them without that funky mag well. With a hi-cap mag they would probably be fine, but with hunting legal mags, that unnecessarily deep mag well would have to be a real bitch to deal with. That feature is the only thing that has stopped me from buying one already.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been hearing good things about these rifles and I'm strongly considering buying one to get into the .308 AR game. I just wish they made them without that funky mag well. With a hi-cap mag they would probably be fine, but with hunting legal mags, that unnecessarily deep mag well would have to be a real bitch to deal with. That feature is the only thing that has stopped me from buying one already.
View Quote

Missouri limits hunters to no more than 10 round magazines as well.

From what I've read, 10 rounders fit, you just need to stick them way up there to get them to catch. My 20's and 25 round magazines all eject easily, (assuming they fit in the first place, ...Lancer L7 did not). I have no reason to think 10 rounder's would not fit in the gun and function normally.

I did a more complete "break down" of the rifle in the tech forum: Double Star 10b. I put this thread in GD so that Double Star CS and Doug could get more publicity/traffic than is over in the tech forums.

You're in KY...the rifle is made in your state. Go find a way to get your hands on one!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Good looking rifle 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Missouri limits hunters to no more than 10 round magazines as well.

From what I've read, 10 rounders fit, you just need to stick them way up there to get them to catch. My 20's and 25 round magazines all eject easily, (assuming they fit in the first place, ...Lancer L7 did not). I have no reason to think 10 rounder's would not fit in the gun and function normally.

I did a more complete "break down" of the rifle in the tech forum: Double Star 10b. I put this thread in GD so that Double Star CS and Doug could get more publicity/traffic than is over in the tech forums.

You're in KY...the rifle is made in your state. Go find a way to get your hands on one!
View Quote

I'll have to do that. There is a Double Star dealer here in town and they had one of these rifles sitting on the shelf the last time I was in the store. They appear to be quite well made with high quality components. I suppose I shouldn't allow a fairly minor thing such as the mag well design stand in he way of a potential purchase. The folks at Double Star know how to make a good product. For whatever reason, many people seem to regard Double Star rifles as a cheap, low end, entry level type gun. And they certainly have models that fit that bill. But they also produce higher end type stuff with all the bells and whistles for those who want that. I think one would be hard pressed to find another rifle (or even build one for that matter) that has the features and components of the 10B for the same price point. You're getting quite a bit of gun with one of these. And for the record, even their most inexpensive line of AR rifles seem to run very well. One of my shooting buddies has had one of their lower end, off the shelf AR rifles since 2014 that we've given hell and it has always functioned superbly. It has never been fed anything besides cheap Tula crap, yet it runs like a champ after several thousand rounds. Witnessing that made me view Double Star products in a different light.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll have to do that. There is a Double Star dealer here in town and they had one of these rifles sitting on the shelf the last time I was in the store. They appear to be quite well made with high quality components. I suppose I shouldn't allow a fairly minor thing such as the mag well design stand in he way of a potential purchase. The folks at Double Star know how to make a good product. For whatever reason, many people seem to regard Double Star rifles as a cheap, low end, entry level type gun. And they certainly have models that fit that bill. But they also produce higher end type stuff with all the bells and whistles for those who want that. I think one would be hard pressed to find another rifle (or even build one for that matter) that has the features and components of the 10B for the same price point. You're getting quite a bit of gun with one of these. And for the record, even their most inexpensive line of AR rifles seem to run very well. One of my shooting buddies has had one of their lower end, off the shelf AR rifles since 2014 that we've given hell and it has always functioned superbly. It has never been fed anything besides cheap Tula crap, yet it runs like a champ after several thousand rounds. Witnessing that made me view Double Star products in a different light.
View Quote

I'm embarressed to admit it, but I thought the same thing prior to receiving this rifle and doing more research on the company. They build a hell of a gun and they use quality parts if they dont manufacture something in house. Sure you can buy an inexpensive gun from them, but that doesnt mean it's low quality. And their Designated Marksmen rifle looks like a 5.56 version of the 10B!

I had been wondering what took so long for them to get into the 308 AR game,(again, not realizing 308 AR's and AR10's are NOT standardized like AR15's are what with different barrel nut thread patterns, rail heights, and receiver patterns). There isnt much information out there about these guns, but one article I read stated Double Star was about to release the 10B and then Magpul released the gen 3 LR/SR PMag and it didnt fit their rifle, so they scrapped it, redesigned the rifle rather than sell one that didnt. I believe this because the pre production gun I had first did not accept Pmags, and this one does, and the fact that Doug and the Double Star folks were so quick to make things right. I truly believe that Double Star makes a great product and backs it 100%. Double Star has absolutely earned my business and I will recommend their rifles to anyone looking for one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top