Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2016 3:25:53 PM EDT
I am talking specifically about something like a CZ75, but any tips will do. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED. I APPRECIATE IT!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want to decock it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
To what end?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am talking specifically about something like a CZ75, but any tips will do. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

If your trying to just store it hammer down. Empty chamber pull trigger.

if your trying to carry hammer down... don't. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you want to decock it?
View Quote

Well, for example, the CZ75 can be carried with the hammer down for a double action first shot, or cocked and locked for single action with every shot.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Take NRA basic pistol class.

place non-firing hand thumb in front of hammer
squeeze trigger and ride hammer down with firing hand thumb
move blocking thumb out of way when hammer is in controlled descent

edit- squeeze trigger enough to release hammer, then allow trigger to reset. A lot of guns have safeties that prevent firing unless trigger is held to the rear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't
View Quote

Are you saying that there is no truly safe way to do it? What then would be the point of the double action capability? Is that JUST a re-strike capability in the event of a light strike? Again, not challenging you, I am trying to learn.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand this. If you don't trust the hardware, don't buy it. If there isn't a decocker, don't decock it.

Before you shoot yourself trying to decock a pistol without a decocker

1. Ensure safety is engaged with finger off trigger.
2. Eject magazine.
3. Manipulate action to Eject round for chamber.
4. Visually and physically inspect maxwell and chamber for ammunition.
5. Send slide home on empty chamber and pull trigger while maintaining positive control of hammer , while pointing in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If your trying to just store it hammer down. Empty chamber pull trigger.

if your trying to carry hammer down... don't. 
View Quote

Okay, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't
View Quote
QFT

Some would argue there are NO safe ways to do it.  Even if you do it safely somehow, you are left in the absolute worst condition a firearm can be. Round in the chamber, hammer down. In order to fire, you have to manually manipulate the hammer back (hoping you don't accidentally let go of it halfway down and it drops, sets your round off, and the slide takes off your thumb), then readjust your grip to get a good hold and fire.

You want to decock? Get a gun that decocks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
For everyone calling this stupid, hammer fully down is mandatory for USPSA Production.  Over 50% of guns used at Production Nationals were DA/SA guns that require manual decocking (CZ and Tanfoglio).

Do it this way.

ETA

Apparently, can't see youtube vids with the update.  Here's a hotlink https://youtu.be/EC6fydtKwRc

Also, the ONLY reason I would advocate doing this is to fall within the rules of a game, such as USPSA or (blech) IDPA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Drop hammer on finger /thumb.   It should not fire when it goes the rest of the way.   Point it in a safe direction when you do this anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The answer is going to be "restrain the hammer, pull trigger, allow hammer hooks to fall below the sear, release trigger (which re-engages firing pin block if "post-B") and allow hammer to rest at half-cock".

And yes, while one could probably do this thousands of times and never fail, the fact is it is NOT as safe as using a decocker which is inherently more reliable than humans are and ALSO never disengages the firing pin block.

Basically, you asked "safest". In in the end how "safe" it is depends on how "safe" you consider it to be. Nobody can give you hard numbers as to failure rates in regard to something like this, it's all opinion. In my opinion, people fail WAY more often than (often redundant) machines do. I would never decock a pistol manually with a live round in the chamber outside a range type environment.
View Quote

Okay, excellent answer. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me, and I will follow your advice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you saying that there is no truly safe way to do it? What then would be the point of the double action capability? Is that JUST a re-strike capability in the event of a light strike? Again, not challenging you, I am trying to learn.
View Quote

You can decock the pistol and carry it hammer down, but there's not a reliable, truly safe way to do it, unless you have the decocker model.

The safest way I know of would be to block the hammer's travel with your finger and grasp the hammer while pulling the trigger. But that's still not a fully safe way to do it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can decock the pistol and carry it hammer down, but there's not a reliable, truly safe way to do it, unless you have the decocker model.

The safest way I know of would be to block the hammer's travel with your finger and grasp the hammer while pulling the trigger. But that's still not a fully safe way to do it.
View Quote

Understood, and I appreciate you (and everyone else) taking the time to help me. I will just ensure I purchase a weapon with a decocker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

CZ75 has a decocker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Okay, thanks.
View Quote

As others have said, carry the pistol as it was intended. If it doesn't have a decocker, don't carry it hammer down. A decocked pistol typically has as many safety's in the way of discharge as a cocked and locked single action pistol designed to be carried so.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Drop mag, clear chamber, clear chamber, clear chamber, point in safe direction and pull trigger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CZ75 has a decocker.
View Quote

Depends which one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Understood, and I appreciate you (and everyone else) taking the time to help me. I will just ensure I purchase a weapon with a decocker.
View Quote

No problem. They have CZ75s with decockers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Decocking is perfectly acceptable.  Load it outside or use a clearing barrel if necessary to decock it.  Then keep it holstered or locked up while not wearing it.  You can google CZ-75B manual for their specific procedures as an example.   It's perfectly safe and within manufacturers guidance to do this.  It just takes following the right safety precautions and procedures.  If you can't follow these basic guidelines then I wish you good luck.  There are other threads that discuss this in detail.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I drop the hammer on my finger , that's the way they teach you to do it in competition.

I don't think it's wise to do it anywhere but at a range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
QFT

Some would argue there are NO safe ways to do it.  Even if you do it safely somehow, you are left in the absolute worst condition a firearm can be. Round in the chamber, hammer down. In order to fire, you have to manually manipulate the hammer back (hoping you don't accidentally let go of it halfway down and it drops, sets your round off, and the slide takes off your thumb), then readjust your grip to get a good hold and fire.

View Quote

No,  what you posted is almost totally incorrect, most of the CZ75s are DA/SA pistols.  You just pull the trigger to fire it when it's decocked.  

OP there are a few methods. The easiest and arguably the safest is to insert your support hand thumb between the hammer and firing pin.  Pull the trigger, then roll your thumb out of the way to slowly drop the hammer without firing the chambered round.

ETA:  Exactly like the method in the video SV650Squid posted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Take NRA basic pistol class.

place non-firing hand thumb in front of hammer
squeeze trigger and ride hammer down with firing hand thumb
move blocking thumb out of way when hammer is in controlled descent

edit- squeeze trigger enough to release hammer, then allow trigger to reset. A lot of guns have safeties that prevent firing unless trigger is held to the rear.
View Quote

This is a terrible idea.

Unload the pistol.  NEVER ride the hammer on a pistol with a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, unless you want to risk an ND I'd strongly urge you not to decock loaded firearms if they do not have a decocker. But if you want to become a learning oppurtunity....that's your business.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I get the usual firing grip with the strong hand, pinch the hammer between the thumb and middle finger of the weak hand with the tip of the index finger between the hammer and frame.  Lower the hammer in a controlled manner withdrawing the index finger as I do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I get the usual firing grip with the strong hand, pinch the hammer between the thumb and middle finger of the weak hand with the tip of the index finger between the hammer and frame.  Lower the hammer in a controlled manner withdrawing the index finger as I do.
View Quote

This  - Ask all the CZ shooters in production division at a USPSA match.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Step 1:  Acquire heat lamp.
Step 2:  Remove trousers.
Step 3:  Apply heat lamp to crotch area until testicles descend.
Step 4:  Carry the damned thing in condition 1 like God intended.
Step 5:  Profit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buy a Glock.
View Quote

I do not shoot Glocks as well as I shoot double / single action designs. For example, I can regularly shoot 1.5" or smaller 7yrd groups with my Bersa, and I rented a couple CZ pistols last week and managed the same, but when I use my wife's Shield or a rented Glock 19 and Glock 26 my groups were averaging twice that. I understand that this is probably good enough (and that the fault is entirely my own), but I just feel as though the CZ pistols really fit my hand well.

That said, I am considering the gen4 Glock 19 if for no other reason than that I can actually get one, and parts and magazines are everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh, and by the way, the slide does not have enough energy to take your thumb off.

Brace the slide with your thumb the next time you go to the firing range to prove it to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No,  what you posted is almost totally incorrect, most of the CZ75s are DA/SA pistols.  You just pull the trigger to fire it when it's decocked.  

OP there are a few methods. The easiest and arguably the safest is to insert your support hand thumb between the hammer and firing pin.  Pull the trigger, then roll your thumb out of the way to slowly drop the hammer without firing the chambered round.

ETA:  Exactly like the method in the video SV650Squid posted.
View Quote

Understood. But it probably would be best just to buy one with the decocker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#36]
The responses in this thread are retarded.

I shot an SP01 Shadow in USPSA Production division for a couple years.  Thousands of others shoot these also.  You have to manually decock hammer to start due to division rules.  

I personally pinch the hammer with my index finger and thumb on my left hand (I'm right handed) and pull the trigger.

Have done it literally a thousand times.  It's not a big deal.  

ETA-I also carry a P07.  I have it configured with the safety on rather than the decocker.  I prefer to carry the gun at half-cock rather than cocked and locked.  I drop the hammer the same way but drop it to half cock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
QFT

View Quote
In this case you are wrong.

The cz75 is da/sa.  It is perfectly ok to carry hammer down, you do not need to manually cock it, and it is a intended design.  They didn't include a decocker, but the pistol is designed to be carried da/sa.

Its not the best design out there because it is inherently less safe than decocker pistols, but in the CZ's case, it is the only way to carry it with both a loaded chamber and in DA mode.

Its one of my biggest complaints with those.....always made me feel hinky to get them into double action mode.  Otherwise they are sweet shooters if not a little heavy for a 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#38]
It already been stated, in USPSA, you have to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber before starting your stage. The CZ75 with safety don't not have a decocker and the hammer is pinched with the weak hand and the hammer is lowered before holstering your weapon. Im in the habit of wiping my fingers on my pant leg before decocking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Very carefully and very slowly. Happens a 1000 times at a USPSA match. Just know there is a chance it can fire.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In this case you are wrong.

The cz75 is da/sa.  It is perfectly ok to carry hammer down, you do not need to manually cock it, and it is a intended design.  They didn't include a decocker, but the pistol is designed to be carried da/sa.

Its not the best design out there because it is inherently less safe than decocker pistols, but in the CZ's case, it is the only way to carry it with both a loaded chamber and in DA mode.

Its one of my biggest complaints with those.....always made me feel hinky to get them into double action mode.  Otherwise they are sweet shooters if not a little heavy for a 9mm.
View Quote

Or you can just get a model with a fucking decocker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For everyone calling this stupid, hammer fully down is mandatory for USPSA Production.  Over 50% of guns used at Production Nationals were DA/SA guns that require manual decocking (CZ and Tanfoglio).

Do it this way.

Attachment Attached File
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6fydtKwRc

ETA

Apparently, can't see youtube vids with the update.  Here's a hotlink https://youtu.be/EC6fydtKwRc

Also, the ONLY reason I would advocate doing this is to fall within the rules of a game, such as USPSA or (blech) IDPA.
View Quote
I'll have to try that. I always did the finger pinch method
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
... FPNI
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#43]
glock 19
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do it this way.

ETA

View Quote

OP, this is the most useful post in the entire thread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it this way.

/media/mediaFiles/no-thumb.jpg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6fydtKwRc

ETA

Good way to screw up a $150 acrylic nail job.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it this way.

Attachment Attached File

ETA

Yes worth noting his last line: Also, the ONLY reason I would advocate doing this is to fall within the rules of a game, such as USPSA or (blech) IDPA.

There is no functional advantage to doing it to a properly carried pistol outside of games.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't get caught behind/under the hammer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
oops.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh, and by the way, the slide does not have enough energy to take your thumb off.

Brace the slide with your thumb the next time you go to the firing range to prove it to yourself.
View Quote

I was looking for this.

As much energy as a slide seems like it has when it is fired, it can easily be held in place with nothing more than a firm thumb placed on the back of the slide. It will NOT take your thumb off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#50]
This is a necessary skill to have.  How would the bad guy know you mean business unless you can cock the hammer back at the appropriate time?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top