Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 3:50:07 PM EDT
My almost 11 yr old daughter was given my wife's old galaxy S3 smart phone to use as a tablet (no contract, no texting, just access over wifi to Web, Google playstore, music, etc). She dropped it and shattered the screen. Wife wants me to find a replacement as a Christmas gift.  Are there any cheap (e.g. $50-$75) no contract smart phones that would work like this? Want it to also accept a micro xd expansion card so she has ample memory for music and apps/games.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Any phone, just pay full cost.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
why not buy a android tablet?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Older, used, and unlocked android phones on ebay. The only problem with some of those is they can't be updated. Heck I just updated from the Note 2 and it did everything I needed it to do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Fire tablet from Amazon
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one of these last month to use as a kitchen tablet for recipes and such.  7" Samsung tablet for $69 shipped.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZ7LT20/
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Virgin Mobile - LG phone to listen to audio books when I walk.

It has no contract and we use WI-Fi to get the books to the phone.

I think it was around $60.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Straight Talk at Wallmart-from $20 and up(for the phone).  $35 a month with some limits for time and access.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
She prefers the phone, especially to listen to music on, since it's more compact. She had a 7" tablet, but never uses it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fire tablet from Amazon
View Quote

Avoid! The Amazon skin is fucking awful.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Straight Talk at Wallmart-from $20 and up(for the phone).  $35 a month with some limits for time and access.
View Quote

Don't want any monthly contract or fee.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a Virgin Mobile - LG phone to listen to audio books when I walk.

It has no contract and we use WI-Fi to get the books to the phone.

I think it was around $60.
View Quote

Can surf web, access Google play app store, download and listen to music while on wifi? And can add a micro SD card?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Blu makes unlocked smart phones and are a very good value for the money. They start in your price range at about $50. US based company (actual phones made in either China or Brazil)
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I use an LG G4 with a pre-paid Tracfone contract. I picked up the Tracfone from a friend who tests them for her tech website. It was a Verizon LG so it works great on Tracfone.

Tons of options out there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Straight Talk has a few Samsung Galaxy phones that are under $139 and lower when they are on sale. The Galaxy Sky 5"  and Luna (a bit smaller) look a lot like the Samsung Galaxy 7 but the back isn't as heavy duty. Very good phones for the price and if you are just going local wifi they are good to go.

They had them both on sale for under $50 bucks on Black Friday.    The Galaxy Luna goes for under $80 bucks and both are often on sale at wallyworld.

Do a YouTube search and they have a comparison video showing the features and memory expansion capability.

Spend the extra bucks and get a good protector. They are a bit slick so it comes in handy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Everybody makes unlocked phones, and they are on Amazon.

I travel a lot, and I buy pseudo-burner phones for use overseas... I like Samsung, and pretty much everything they make, or have made in the last few years is available.  Just figure out what you want, and find it on there.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fire tablet from Amazon
View Quote

Not good  for a kid and and not for the tech savvy.
I just bought one and its going back.

Old smartphone is ideal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Blu makes unlocked smart phones and are a very good value for the money. They start in your price range at about $50. US based company (actual phones made in either China or Brazil)
View Quote

I have a Blu Phone that I use as a hotspot (fifth line was free w/ Cricket).  They work well for what you are paying but don't expect Iphone quality in this price range.  I don't have any issues with mine and it works as intended to surf the web, listen to music and watch Netflix/Youtube over wifi or LTE, etc.  it would lag on some more complicated games like mobile Fallout Shelter.  When my daughter broke her phone, she used my Blu Phone for few months without any issues before it ended up getting stolen.  I ended up buying another Blu Phone since I like having the hotspot/Pandora/Netflix player going without being interrupted by phone calls on my regular phone. 

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
You can buy a no contract StraightTalk phone and not turn on the service.  The phone will still be functional for downloading apps and music using Wifi, you just can't dial or text with it.  When you are ready, you can turn it on month to month.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Exactly what I'm looking for, just a tad pricier especially once you add $10 for a case. Found this one instead though, which I think will meet my needs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Exactly what I'm looking for, just a tad pricier especially once you add $10 for a case. Found this one instead though, which I think will meet my needs.
View Quote

That looks good OP.
I have a similar situation except it's my 82 year old father and he has just enough dementia to make tech a nightmare.
I picked up a fire tablet for $40 and its a nightmare and I haven't decided to return it or root it. I normally have old phones but he is ahead of me breaking them.
It could be time for a new phone for me
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My almost 11 yr old daughter was given my wife's old galaxy S3 smart phone to use as a tablet (no contract, no texting, just access over wifi to Web, Google playstore, music, etc). She dropped it and shattered the screen. Wife wants me to find a replacement as a Christmas gift.  Are there any cheap (e.g. $50-$75) no contract smart phones that would work like this? Want it to also accept a micro xd expansion card so she has ample memory for music and apps/games.
View Quote

This version doesn't have ads like the amazon version.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274293-REG/motorola_01006nartl_moto_g4_play_xt1607.html

Unfortunately for you it was $99 last week.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any recent android smart phone will do. Just go on eBay and look for unlocked smart phones. 
Tablets are cheap though, you could try to find a 6" to 7" tablet that will do even better than a smart phone, but without the ability to make a call.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

My kids use BLU unlocked phones and the new ones are pretty legit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
PSA
My IT guy just told me the BLU phones come with built in backdoors that can be accessed without your permission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top