Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 4:29:40 AM EDT
I was in McBrides gun store in Austin this week. I saw a Baby Eagle in the case finished in Titanium. I asked to look at it, & it was a .40 priced at $999.00. They also had 1 in the mat black finish like the one I own. I asked the price & the guy said $499.00. I exclaimed $500.00 just for the finish? & he said yes.
Is that out of line, or is way to much. They wanted as much for the finish as they did for the pistol itself.
Is this a common charge for a titanium coated firearm?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally Titanium anything is expensive as hell.  Remington has a model 700 Titanium out now and the damn thing is $1200 (MSRP).  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
A man can't charge what the public thinks his product and labor is worth, if he does he's a fool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Titanium is extremely hard to work with, so I've been told, so it gets a premium.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Was it a titanium "finish" or frame/slide part of the gun?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The salesman said it was the finish. I'm thinking of having my M-4 done by Walter Birdsong in green, & black-T finish, & it's supposed to be tops. His price is about $200 for the rifle, & that includes 2 mags. I just can't understand why the finish is $500 on the Baby Eagle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That's Teflon, not titanium.  Birdsong is about 20 miles from here and does arguably the best work in the business when it comes to firearm coatings.

Edited to add: Don't expect to get your M4 back anytime soon though.  Depending on the time of year you catch him, it may take months for him to get to your rifle.  There are quite a few 3-letter organizations and one 5 letter that I know have used/use him to coat their issue weapons.  Quite a sight to walk in and see 25 or so MP5's lined up.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top