Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:30:34 PM EDT
So....I am buying my first pistol, and would like to get some new ear protection along with it.  What do you guys think is the best electronic ear protection out there?  Price is not really an issue, as my ears are pretty sensitive to noise, I'm willing to pay quite a bit if it is absolutely necessary...would prefer not to, but I was told that I would find electronic the best, and they are not cheap!  I currently have some old ears my pops gave to me years ago.  [:)]  

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Who told you that electronics are best?

I say that if your ears are really sensitive go with the Peltor double shell, highest DB reduction, and some gel ear plugs in the canal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Muffs SUCK AND REALLY HARD!!

Get a custom set of earmolds for shooting done up for yourself. They are the most comfortable things going. Just have them made small enough as not to stick out past your ear. You can get them made up at almost any good sized gun show.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
hey tjmz, is this your first pistol or your first gun period? The reason I ask is that if you have a rifle then whatever you use now should be more than adequate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Peltor makes the highest dB reducing rated muffs. I think mine are 29dB, no electronics.

Dillon makes/sells a good electronic pair but they're not 29dB.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
it is about 1am, I am extreeeeemly bored, and I can't sleep. So here is the link to the Peltor muffs you should buy: [:D]

[url]http://www.aearo.com/html/products/peltor/peltor01.htm[/url]

This is what I use (top one) and I could not be happier. They are very comfortable, and as BobCole said provide a [b]lot[/b] of sound reduction at 29 dB. Remember that every 3 dB is twice as loud so that extra one or two dB is actually a lot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I use el-cheapo in-ear type(They are connected over the head like muffs), theyre rated to i belive 33db. theyre blaze orange, and the in-ear parts are foam. I wouldnt call them the most comfortable ones on the market, but ive never felt any discomfort from them even on long shooting sessions.

$5, cheap and reliable (Using em for 'bout 9 months now)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EAR foam plugs will do about 30dB, "mickey mouse" ears on top will do another 20-32 dB depending on the model.
View Quote

This is what I use. Electronic types cant not do as well as this set up.

The electronic type do not block sound better they just let you hear what is going on around you when before and after the blast
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Peltor makes the highest dB reducing rated muffs. I think mine are 29dB, no electronics.

Dillon makes/sells a good electronic pair but they're not 29dB.
View Quote

I'm not impressed with my Dillon muffs. The ear cups are too hard and too thin, allowing the seal to be broken by the earpiece of your shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
the peltor ultimate 10 is rated at 29db as well. I picked mine up for ~$20. They are double cup design and work really well.

[url]http://www.aosafety.com/shooters/products/pas_02.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.  This is my first pistol...I shoot trap and sporting clays, and the protection I have works ok, but I have a lot of problems with my eye protection breaking the seal and letting noise in.  After the first few pulls I get used to the noise that gets in, but I imagine that this is not the best thing to do...[:)]  So, I figure that when I pick up my gun, I'll pick up some protection as well.  I found some Peltors on ebay for about $16.00, with 30db protection, I'm thinking I'll just pick these up.  I can't use foam since for some reason, they won't stay put in my ears.  I guess I'm just a freak...[:(]  thanks for the input, guys!

Tiffany
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you tried different types of foam ear plugs. I had the same problem I had to go with one type only
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't trade my Pro Ears muffs for anything. They're very comfortable and I like being able to carry on normal convesation when I shoot. I wouldn't want non-electronic muffs myself...
--RR
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't trade my Pro Ears muffs for anything. They're very comfortable and I like being able to carry on normal convesation when I shoot. I wouldn't want non-electronic muffs myself...
--RR
View Quote

Ditto... except mine are peltor brand. It's soooo nice being able to hear anything from grass rustling to whispers, to loud talk AND have your hearing protected when a shot goes off.

With the peltor, I can even hook in my mp3 player to them, too.

Best $150ish I ever spent on hearing protection.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use el-cheapo in-ear type(They are connected over the head like muffs), theyre rated to i belive 33db. theyre blaze orange, and the in-ear parts are foam. I wouldnt call them the most comfortable ones on the market, but ive never felt any discomfort from them even on long shooting sessions.

$5, cheap and reliable (Using em for 'bout 9 months now)
View Quote

I use the same.  Absolutely love them.  Best protection I have used for convienence and performance.  I got real tired of micky ears.  My stocks always interfere with the seal and the muffs scratch the piss out of my stocks.  Also, they aren't hot to wear, and on a 80+ degree day, that is a factor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Foam plugs will get you into the 31-33db reduction range.  The muffs will only do about 24-26 db reduction.  

Putting muffs over plugs WILL NOT give (33 db + 26 db = )  59 db reduction.  There is a lot of sound that will travel up the nostrils, into the mouth, and up the eustacian tubes.  Also, sound will come indirectly through the bones of the head.  Yes, adding muffs will give some additional sound reduction, but not the full monty.

Regardless of muffs or plugs, they must be worn and fit properly in order to give full rated protection.

Other facts... yes, a 3 db reduction is equivilent to halving sound energy.  For each doubling of distance, sound is reduced 6 db.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The BEST electronic protection comes from the Peltor Comtac's, IMO.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For each doubling of distance, sound is reduced 6 db.
View Quote

Need a little more info there. Otherwise the difference between firing a pistol, with barrel about 2 feet from ear, and walking twenty feet away would be gunblast and silence. [:D]

Sound dissipation is not linear IIRC, because it travels and spreads its energy around in a 360 degree sphere.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
You can still buy pistols in Kalifornistan?  Who would have thunk it.

What I'm about to suggest will not be popular:

If you're going to do ANY shooting and manouvering drills just go with the little expanding foam plugs.  Anything bigger is a distraction.  These are more than adequate on an outdoor range.  Indoors I try to use both foam and big muffs.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate muffs.  I have some cheap Peltors... I think they are red.  They have a 20something db reduction.  They work ok as long as I don't wear eye protection... with the eyes on the seal is broken, so I have to wear plugs under them.  Then after a few minutes the shit gets uncomfortable as hell since the muffs cram the arms of my glasses into my head.

I need to get some good ear plugs.  Muffs suck.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for the cheap peltors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
If I am shooting indoors or shooting a loud gun or near somebody shooting something loud (38super, Magnums, riles with muzzle brakes, ect.) I wear MAX earplugs and Pelter ear muff.  Ear muffs only the rest of the time.  The MAX earplugs work the best for me.  Even wear them when riding my motorcycle.  It is to late for me though.  Years of riding motorcycles has taken its toll on my hearing.  So what ever you do protect your hearing, it does not come back.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always liked Peltor 10's with earplugs under them. Really makes things quite and once your hearing is damaged( like mine) the damage is done.

My wife bought me a set of Peltor Tactical 6S for my birthday and I really like them but they don't seem to keep out as much sound as the 10's.

Everyday shooting I'll use the 10's to fully protect my hearing and when I take a training class and need to hear the instructor's directions I'll use the Tac 6S's. Also, I think if someone was breaking in my house or someother situation where I might have time I would slip on the Tac 6S's. Them little .223's are loud as hell!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top