Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 129
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered the original question also.

The whole thing doesn't make sense.  The inventor thinking that he's going to own the world with his idea, that does make sense. Taking too long to market. 6.8 was way ahead there. You can even buy pmags for them....

I've never heard of the lawsuit talk before. But that makes perfect sense too. Promising litigation is a great way to demotivate an industry to build on the idea. I asked a manufacturer once about doing a grendel. They just laughed sarcastically and said no thanks like I was an idiot. Now I know why.

It's too bad. It has all the makings anyone could want. Mag length, common components, high BC, and a wolf load available.

Anyone who threatens to sue people for just about anything outside of collections usually suck. Sometimes it's valid, and needed. But usually, your just a whinny dick. To me that automatically puts you in the asshole category.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6.8 was way ahead there. You can even buy pmags for them....

View Quote
Yeah, but only for the Six8.  Not like you can get 6.8 PMags that will work in a standard AR.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to need 15 more people to go pay for some barrels.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12700-Faxon-12-quot-6.5-Grendel-Group-Buy-155

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
currently waiting on the 12" from the group buy.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12700-Faxon-12-quot-6.5-Grendel-Group-Buy-155

That reminds me.  I need to get my form and payment sent in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Because $4.79 a box of wolf ammo for plinking is the best
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been really pleased with mine, but it does seem as though the inventor wanted it to fail.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What is so great about it that should make it more popular?
View Quote
It's supersonic at 1000 yds!!!

Only matters, realistically, ringing gongs.  Less drop at longer ranges.  Flat shooting round.  If you aren't ringing gongs at 1000yds. The 6.8 handles all your average hunting needs, for cheaper.

Plain, simple, and honest truth.  Some others will tell you different. They may have excellent points...for their advanced skill set.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
What do people recommend for magazines?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been really pleased with mine, but it does seem as though the inventor wanted it to fail.
View Quote

he didn't want it to fail.

he wanted to be his and his alone and that no one else would be allowed to make anything to do with them.

worked for apple
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From my experience, Yes.  I got in on the 16" group buy and received it with no issues.      

edit - forgot to quote lichter50
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guys legit? I'm serious. Educate me.

From my experience, Yes.  I got in on the 16" group buy and received it with no issues.      

So did I.  No problems.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Because $4.79 a box of wolf ammo for plinking is the best
View Quote
I got a 5.56 for plinking.  I have no desire to shorten the life of a fine barrel by blasting.  

I shot a couple hundred rounds of wolf 6.5.  It sucked.  Accuracy was horrible.  It is blasting ammo only.  Did not feel the need to keep running it through a JP barrel.

*fyi the wolf ammo I had was 5-6 MOA through a 22" JP stainless barrel at 100yds. No thanks. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Faxon will probably start offering them as regular items soon.  As the market slows they'll have time to expand their product line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Faxon won't do anything but group buys and BA hasn't been quick to market
I think Faxon will probably start offering them as regular items soon.  As the market slows they'll have time to expand their product line.

Faxon is in my neck of the woods and I've had them do work for me before.

I don't think they do anything quickly. They do very nice work, though...when they get around to it.

Full disclosure: I'm a little fish and they were more doing me a favor to do a couple one offs. Even at what they charged, it's not much worth their time.

On the Grendel: In MHO, the AR bolt is not large enough for that size of case head. There's just not enough meat on the lugs for the margin of safety I'd like.

Of course they get them to work. But you're a lot closer to the edge that I care to be.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been calling to me for a pistol build truck gun.........
And it doesn't help when ever I open my PP app it asks if I want to send Josh more $$...
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

he wanted to be his and his alone and that no one else would be allowed to make anything to do with them.

worked for apple
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

worked for apple

Until they dumped Motorola and went to Intel.  Now they are just an expensive Linux machine with a nice screen.  But I think you are correct.  He thought he had the Holy Grail caliber and was going to use that to fund his evil lair.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

E-Lander mags sold by Alexander Arms.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And it doesn't help when ever I open my PP app it asks if I want to send Josh more $$...

View Quote
Uh yeah, of course you do.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
6.5 Grendel is an awesome hunting cartridge. 123gr bullet going 2500fps from an 18" barrel, stays above 1800fps out to 400+ yards. And in my experience, it drops animals extremely well. There aren't a whole hell of a lot of barrel manufacturers on board right now, but there's more and more popping up. It's gaining traction for sure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think they prefer the term 'engineer'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do new cartridges seem to be designed largely by weird people with lousy business acumen and no people skills?

I think they prefer the term 'engineer'

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

worked for apple
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

worked for apple

and for JDJones.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alexander is an ass.

View Quote

Boom! the first post thing again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the parent cartridge? Is it easy to form ammo cases for it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because 6 point eight boyeeee
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

On the Grendel: In MHO, the AR bolt is not large enough for that size of case head. There's just not enough meat on the lugs for the margin of safety I'd like.

Of course they get them to work. But you're a lot closer to the edge that I care to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Faxon won't do anything but group buys and BA hasn't been quick to market

It would be right at home in a CMMG Mutant or DPMS G2 for those that have concerns about the longevity of the AR15-sized bolt.  I just wonder if the market would be there to support it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So did I.  No problems.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h370/nick89302/20161108_165437_zpsizkkcred.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guys legit? I'm serious. Educate me.

So did I.  No problems.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h370/nick89302/20161108_165437_zpsizkkcred.jpg

How do you like the barrel so far? I've thought about building an upper with their 16" barrel as a backup to my current one. But I've also thought about building a 12" for shorter range stuff.....I need a bigger budget.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Only matters, realistically, ringing gongs.  Less drop at longer ranges.  Flat shooting round.  If you aren't ringing gongs at 1000yds. The 6.8 handles all your average hunting needs, for cheaper.

Plain, simple, and honest truth.  Some others will tell you different. They may have excellent points...for their advanced skill set.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I do the same with my 223 AR, it is super sonic to 1015 yds in standard conditions(18"). Not mag length loads though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bill Alexander has a patent on the cartridge and you basically have to jump through is hoops to get licensed to build barrels for it. Hence the low number of manufactures.

Le Baer came out with the .264LBC which from what I understand is the same thing as the 6.5 Grendel with a few minor tweeks to the case dimensions to get around the patent. From what I've read the two are close enough to be interchangeable.
View Quote

No.

From what I gather the .264 LBC uses a x39 bolt.

But I'm sure someone will be along to clarify/correct me
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#26]
A 6.5 bullet in a AR15 platform is pure fucking winning.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's possible to form cases from 7.62x39.  I don't have that kind of time so I just plan on reloading the factory hornady cases once I shoot enough to make it worthwhile.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

A 6.5 bullet in a AR15 platform is pure fucking winning.
View Quote
So much science!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
.220 Russian.  Cases are readily available, no need to form them.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I would like to try one but it feels a little overwhelming when you start looking at them
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I would like to try one but it feels a little overwhelming when you start looking at them
View Quote
Go get in on the Faxon group buy.  Then you'll need a bolt and some mags.  Other than that, it's the same as a 5.56 AR.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#32]
meh, 6mm PPC is much better..
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nah.  If it's your cup of tea get one.  Feed Hornady 123sst to start. Watch tiny groups appear on target.

*go buy the JP barrel bolt combo.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

.221 Russian or something like that. You can fire form or hydroform brass 7.62x39 cases for it though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I really should get on that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it sucks in an AR, maybe?

GTFO

However, I wouldn't mind building a bolt gun with a detachable mag.

Why build when you can buy? Or, use this as a base model?
http://www.legacysports.com/wp-content/uploads/Howa_MiniAction_Highlander_High_Res-1024x350.png

What's the price point on these? I'd be into a 20" H-Bar if they made one in Left Hand

ETA I see $500. I would be all over that
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It honestly isn't, it's just the same as any other AR. Just make sure you have a Grendel barrel, a Grendel bolt, and some steel magazines. For the Grendel bolt, go to Lilja, AA, or JP. For the mags, go to AA and buy the E-Lander's, and the barrel depends on your budget.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

meh, 6mm PPC is much better..
View Quote
6BRX is even better, but fuck if it's not a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#39]
On a board where logic trumps all and emotion is a liberal thing to be set aside, "Inventor was mean" is apparently an important factor in choosing a caliber.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

worked for apple
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

worked for apple

Not so much for Grendel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What's the price point on these? I'd be into a 20" H-Bar if they made one in Left Hand
View Quote
Brownells has the actions for ~$400.  They also have a tube gun style stock for about the same price or you can get a Boyds for a little over $100.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
On a board where logic trumps all and emotion is a liberal thing to be set aside, "Inventor was mean" is apparently an important factor in choosing a caliber.
View Quote

No, he just made it a lot harder for people to enjoy a fantastic cartridge. That's exactly why it's not more popular.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's not the bottom line.  The bottom line was access.  His limiting access, limited proliferation of the caliber. When the only source has out of this world cost factor kind of hard to catch on.  

It has some traction now.   Still costs more than 6.8.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
No one is saying that.  They're saying the inventor hamstringed it by threatening to sue anyone that tried to build one and waited too long to submit it to SAAMI.

When no one will build for it because they're likely to get sued, that's a problem.

When the only products you can get come with a weird sized gas block journal and odd thread patterns on the muzzle, that's a problem.

He finally submitted it to SAAMI and now you're seeing a surge in popularity for it.  He was trying to be his own regulatory agency, it didn't work.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It honestly isn't, it's just the same as any other AR. Just make sure you have a Grendel barrel, a Grendel bolt, and some steel magazines. For the Grendel bolt, go to Lilja, AA, or JP. For the mags, go to AA and buy the E-Lander's, and the barrel depends on your budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, is the Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo any good ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's not the bottom line.  The bottom line was access.  His limiting access, limited proliferation of the caliber. When the only source has out of this world cost factor kind of hard to catch on.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$385 for a barrel/bolt combo doesn't seem cost prohibitive

And from what LRRPF52 says, it's one hell of a barrel. There are 37 flavours of factory ammo available for it

LRRPF52's awesome thread on the 6.5 G
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use  these for hunting.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-6-5-grendel-10-round-stainless-steel-magazine.html

The have a 25 round for 14.99 as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not so much for Grendel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

worked for apple

Not so much for Grendel.

It probably made him more money than just letting everyone take his invention and run with it.

I don't agree with it, but for the inventor, it was the smart decision.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's probably the best clean-sheet antipersonnel cartridge extant that fits into the AR15 platform.
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top