Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 9:40:17 AM EDT
[url]http://www.dailyinterlake.com/NewsEngine/SelectStory_AD.tpl?command=search&db=news.db&eqskudata=82-809196-77[/url]

[size=2]2 charged with accidentally shooting woman with machine gun [/size=2]

Two Polson-area boys are charged with felonies after they accidentally shot a woman with a machine gun Tuesday.

Lake County Undersheriff Mike Sargent said the boys, ages 13 and 16, were target practicing on Bisson Lane, south of Polson, when a shot went astray and struck a woman in the leg. She was in a field with her husband on a tractor, he said.

"They were out there, throwing rounds down," Sargent said.

The woman was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital where she underwent surgery and is recovering, Sargent said.

Deputies Cory Anderson and Mike Carlson responded. They confiscated the .233-caliber Ruger mini-14. One of the boys' fathers has a permit to own the machine gun, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was notified because of the type of gun used in the accident, Sargent said.

The boys won't be identified because of their ages. At the end of the week, they were charged with felony criminal endangerment.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#1]
"Machine Gun"?! Whoo boy.. here we go again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
So, is it possible to have a class III Mini 14?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, they are out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it's called the Ruger AC 556.

The owner of that MG is in deep, deep, doodoo. His kid is probably going to put him in prison.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that if you owned a Class Three, it was against the law for you to let ANYONE ELSE take posession of it for any length of time outside your immediate presence.  Anyone wanna correct me on this?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that if you owned a Class Three, it was against the law for you to let ANYONE ELSE take posession of it for any length of time outside your immediate presence.  Anyone wanna correct me on this?
View Quote

Absolutely correct. No one else can even have access to it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, the 16 year old can forget about borrowing the car next Saturday.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was a Mini it wasn't Me.

All they have to do is show the jury re-runs of the A-Team and that will prove that nothing has ever been hit with a Mini-14.

ED
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
As the proud owner of a Mini-14, I can say that pretty much all shots go astray.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
my guess was that this wasnt [i]really[/i] a machine gun but just another "assault weapon" the media will call anything a scary name just to sell the story. I once read a story where reporters called a lever action 30/30 a military style assualt weapon. you never know what kind of crap will pour out of thier mouths next.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm betting that it really was a machinegun. Just the fact that they mentioned that the father had a "permit" to own it, even though there are no "machinegun permits", leads me to believe that the story is for the most part correct.

[img]http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51/50563/picture_012.jpg[/img]
[b]Mini-14 Machinegun[/b]

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
As far as NFA ownership goes...

This could be the proverbial Fertilizer which impacts the ventilator...

Edit: Another question is - is the father a S.O.T. or did he just have a Form 4?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm betting that it really was a machinegun. Just the fact that they mentioned that the father had a "permit" to own it, even though there are no "machinegun permits", leads me to believe that the story is for the most part correct.

[url]http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51/50563/picture_012.jpg[/url]

View Quote

cool how short is that barrel?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
13"
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

[url]http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51/50563/picture_012.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Which sling is that and do you like it?  (or even own it for that matter)

Can't find one I like for my padre's...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which sling is that and do you like it?  (or even own it for that matter)

Can't find one I like for my padre's...
View Quote

I think it might be one of the Blackhawk slings? I can't really remember what kind it is. I bought it at a gunshow last year and it's done pretty well. I wanted a sling that would allow the gun to just hang when I wasn't holding it and this one does the trick. I think it cost $50.

Eric the Hun might remember better what it is, he was there with me when I bought it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
"The boys were later spotted with a Mini-30 near Minerva, OH on Saturday, where another errant round drew the attention of local law enforcement."
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
The Dad should immedeately charge his son with theft. Its his only good defense and the kids minor record will be hidden when he grows up.
Cruel but the only way out of time in Club Fed I believe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Chances are it was just a Mini-14, and nothing more.  The media has been deliberately engaged in a conspiracy of deception about firearms for many years.

I read a newspaper article where the reporter had gone on a tour though the FBI headquarters, and been shown some famous gangster's (John Dillinger's?) Tommy Gun, "a semi-automatic machinegun".

For years they have been trying to confuse in the minds of soccer moms and others unfamiliar with firearms semiautos and fully automatic firearms.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
[size=4].233 CALIBER?[/size=4]

CRC
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Things to ponder:
1) Was this really a fully automatic Mini-14?

2) Was this a regular semi-automatic Mini-14, and was the "permit" a real classIII license or was it just a regular BATF "yellow sheet".

3) Could this have been a regular semi-auto with a Tac-Trigger, or Hellfire trigger accessory?

4) Dad obviously has some serious $$$ tied up in this Mini, in order to rapid fire this gun he would definitely need Ruger factory mags ($99/each)...cause any Mini owner knows that after mkt,non-Ruger mags jam or stovepipe every 3rd round.

5) Wonder if CDC will list this as a farming accident or Child/gun injury?

6) Why the hell would anyone want a fully automatic Mini-14 anyways...if you want to throw stray bullets way off target, get an AK. Its a helluva lot cheaper.

7) Why do I still own a Mini ?

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Im guessing that the article is pretty much correct. They involved the ATFE because it was a machine gun, which is the correct thing to do.

The owner was a fucking moron for one of the following reasons...

1. Allowing his kid to shoot the thing out of his supervision.

2. Not having it in a locked safe.

Only a complete idiot would not store his MGs in a safe...actually ALL of his guns is more like it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
It most likely was an AC556 which is the FA version of the Mini-14.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
My bet is that its a run of the mill Ruger Mini-14.  Most of these guys dont know which end the bullet comes out. I cant count how many times they have said that the bad guys had automatic AK47s assault rifles and turned out to be SKSs with 10 round internal mags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Inconsistant and/or inaccurate reporting?

By this story one of the kids is 14, not 13 and an AK-47 was also used. Note that the term "assault-style rifles" is used... nothing about a a "machine gun".

Not that it really matters, the spin that will be put on this by the media and Brady types isn't going to be good for our side.

[url]http://leaderadvertiser.com/index.asp?Sec=News&str=1073[/url]

[i]Woman shot by teenage boys
POLSON - Two teenage boys were shooting high caliber, assault-style rifles Tuesday morning on Bisson Lane southeast of Polson when they
accidentally shot a neighbor woman in the leg.
According to Lake County Undersheriff Mike Sargeant, a 14-year-old male and a 16-year-old male were shooting an AK 47 and a Ruger Mini
14 at the location near Minesinger Trail in the Mountain View neighborhood.
Possible criminal charges against the teens are pending, the undersheriff said.
The woman, who was in a neighboring field when she was shot, was hit in the thigh and temporarily passed out, according to reports.
One of the teens called 911 and the woman was taken to St. Joseph Hospital with a non-life threatening injury, Sargeant said.
At press time, the investigation was still ongoing, he said. Concerned neighbors had previously complained about the teens
shooting in that relatively populated area, according to Sargeant. As of press time, no further details were available.[/i]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Any time my F/A leaves the safe,it never gets out of arms reach from me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It most likely was an AC556 which is the FA version of the Mini-14.
View Quote

What if it was a KAC556F?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I love the term "high-caliber". WTF is a high-caliber?

Bob
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bob
View Quote

Roger that...

High-caliber?  as opposed to low-caliber?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
my voice is still not working...i yell myself hoarse at bulletfest trying to keep folks under control.

and still, some idiots intentionally lob rounds where they have NO IDEA onto 'what' or 'who'.

people are idiots!!!!

it really makes no difference whether it was a machinegun or a .22 rf. it's not the firearm that is the problem.

it's the man holding the firearm.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#33]
"Full auto" or not "Full auto".........the A$$-Whoopings should start NOW!!!

Those two friggen idiots need to be castrated before they reproduce.

"Undersheriff Mike Sargent said the boys, ages 13 and 16, were target practicing"....?

No they weren't "target practicing"......they were screwing around with a firearm and somebody got hurt!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob
View Quote

Roger that...

High-caliber?  as opposed to low-caliber?
View Quote

high cal is .30 and larger.
.223 is not high caliber.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Someone in the area, please keep track of the story.  I want to know what sort of gun it really was.

As far as what the boys were doing is concerned, they failed to act in anything resembling a responsible manner until they actually called 911 for the woman.  

They violated a whole bunch of the basic firearms safety rules.  

As for permits,  MANY states now require some form of permit to purchase and keep ANY type of firearm.  So even if it wasn't a class III rifle, the guy may have needed a permit.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]
[b]Deputies Cory Anderson and Mike Carlson responded. They confiscated the .233-caliber Ruger mini-14. One of the boys' fathers has a permit to own the machine gun, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was notified because of the type of gun used in the accident, Sargent said.[/b]

This actually looks like responsible reporting...ESPECIALLY in mentioning that ATF was notified "because of the type of gun".

Your Form 4 is a permit...A permit with a tax stamp. Period.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I would describe a form 4 (with stamp) as nothing more than a "use Tax" recipt.

Permits on the otherhand are usually state or local in nature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top