Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 9:22:36 AM EDT
Just acquired a new Land Rover Discovery...

and wasted no time seeing what it can do...we headed to a park with lots of sand, mud, muck, rocks, water and whatever else...

this is one hell of an off-road vehicle -

handled everything with ease...

got into water that came up over the hood to the windshield...

and it could care less!!

anyone out there have one of these??  

and for those of you in Florida, where are some good spots to go 4-wheelin'??
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

anyone out there have one of these??  

View Quote

[img]http://www.ops-se.com/posted/Brad-Rover.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#2]
bout the only place to go is up at CROOM in brooksfield. also ya wanna goto a good site, goto FLORIDA4X4. com sum true rednecks that can give and take. they have runs on occasion, and they dont care what ya drive, but they will make fun unless ya got 44" tires, but thats okay, i have a stock Jeep CHerokee, it holds its own.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't that a wee bit expensive to go thrashing about in...or is it used?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
not used - it's new...

but this was MADE to get out there and do its thing!!!

it's equipped with traction control, hill descent, full-time 4 wheel drive, you can operate it in manual mode for more control, and the list goes on...

yes, it is not a cheap vehicle by any means, but hell, i'm gonna enjoy it - it is perfect for my business as a vet, got looks and function for that...

and i get to have shitloads of fun in the mud on the weekends!!!

tell me, what more could a girl ask for??

oohh, i know - getting to load up the back with our rifles and go shooting AND 4-wheeling on the weekend!! WOOHOO!!!

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
no offense that is a nice vehicle, but traction control is the worst thing for off roading, in sum situations ya need to spin the wheels to keep momentum goin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
2003 DiscoII SE here.  

Do yourself a favor and visit [url]www.discoweb.org[/url]

I've had mine almost a year and like it better every day and will be mounting mud tires on black steel wheels this fall since nobody makes a decent offroad tire for 18" wheels.  That way you can have smooth riding highway tires and really aggressive mud tires for playing.  The stock Wrangler HP's suck in the mud.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The traction control system on the landrovers is incredible.  I have seen Discoveries tackle some pretty tough stuff.  My friend has one with an 2" OME lift with OME shocks on it and it goes up against comporably quipped Wranglers without a problem.  As far as scratches go, you need them it's a must have for any 4X4.  Have fun with it and get some basic off road gear, tow strap, first aid kit, spare gas can stuff like that.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
no offense that is a nice vehicle, but traction control is the worst thing for off roading, in sum situations ya need to spin the wheels to keep momentum goin.
View Quote

The LR system actually works off road.  I've never had a problem overriding the system with plenty of throttle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]
shotar "Land rover accounts for the fact that their Trucks will be used in both civilized and uncivilized conditions."

exactly...

glock31- been to the website - very cool

got the tow strap, the FA kit, and a long list of other things for the new toy...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I only drive my Range Rover for short trips and hauling stuff now, the E320, my commute car, is much more comfortable and gets 25mpg, vs. 15mpg.  The Series II seems much better than the first generation, I was thinking about getting one but having one truck is enough [:)]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a nice pic of disco. They seem to be willig to get int this postiton rather easy.  If you plan to hit the rocks, I'd defintiely look at the OME coils and shocks and a set of QD sway bar links.

[img]http://home.sunlitsurf.com/~e-zoozoo/IMAG0241.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't mind me asking, what is the price range for the Discovery?

ED
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ED
View Quote

Starting from $34,995.*
*MSRP: Does not include taxes and license fees.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had mine since 1998 and love it, despite its eccentricities and typically shoddy British constrtuction quality.

Pros:  
-Great off road.
-Good on road (except acceleration)
-Great visibility.
-No problems with essential equipment.
-Nice, comfortable leather interior.
-Looks good covered with mud.
-Great for areas prone to serious flooding.

Cons:
-Poor acceleration
-Piss-poor gas mileage.
-Windshield is a rock magnet.  I've had to replace it 3 times in 5 years.
-Too many problems with non-essential items (clock light burns out regularly, too many sunroof problems, sun visor clamps prone to breaking, etc.).
-Ergonomically counterintuitive.
-I hate electric seats.

Edited to add:  Mine's set up like the dark colored one in zutrooper's pic--with the adverture rack and ladder.  The rack adds lots of road noise at freeway speeds.

One of these days I'm going to get the Safarigard bumper and winch.  Those are soo cool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Light Fighter - That's awesome! What do you have for tires and suspension?

Here is mine - three days old and bone stock. It was kind of funny watching a lifted Jeep Wrangler 4x4 try to follow us through this little puddle, only to stall and have to be completely dried out.

[img]http://www.jessvet.com/images/JLR 2.jpg[/img]

Any suggestions about what to do next? Oh... this was one of the smaller puddles. The larger puddles were flowing onto the windshield.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Starting from $34,995.*
View Quote

Thanks

ED
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Water up tio the windshield?  YIKES thats dang close to a hydolock.  If you plan to hit the water, you best look for a snorkle.  Other than that, you really need to loosen the suspension on the discso.  They come way to tight from the factory.  This pic posted above shows how little articulation they have when sways are connected.  Tire wise, i'd recommend the 265/75s in a good MT.  Most of the rover guys are into Dunlops, but any good MT will do you right.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Before it left the the lot it got a 4" Trailmaster lift, Tera-flex control arms, OME shocks, Wrangler Sahara wheels, and BFG's. One of these days when I figure how to post pics here I'll show it to you guys. It is a rather impressive ride. I love it! The main reason for purchase was it was the last year for the Cherokee. I traded in my 99' for this one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#21]
hey man, that is the exact reason i bought my cherokee, the last year of a good vehicle, i have yet see a Liberty off road. lol. since we brought this up, anyone know where i can get gas/water carriers for back of jeep, i looked all over web and only found a couple places, i was kinda surprised.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience, the best vehicles to go serious off-roading with are the small Jap pickups.

I've seen too many other makes and models get in trouble while the little Japs keep on motoring.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
We've had two Disco's, a 98, and the 2002 we have now. Well, I say we, but really the wife is the one who drives them. I drive a truck due to my profession.

Both have been awesome. They are built like tanks.

My wife hit a deer doing 75 head on one night in the 98 (hence why we don't have it anymore).

She said she barely felt the impact, and the only reason she stopped was because she heard something dragging underneath.

She was suprised when she got out to see how badly damaged it was. Front was completely smashed up, and the driver door was dented in pretty bad.

Damn thing just wanted to keep on driving though.

And it's amazing how well they handle, including curves. It's the closest thing to driving a sports car you'll find in an SUV.

Congrats on the new purchase, glad you've already had some fun with it!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been seriously considering a used Discovery.

What year/years should I be on the look-out for in terms of mechanical problems? I have heard anecdotal ramblings from Biff the yuppie, but really don't consider that as solid evidence of their fragility;electrical and gaskets I hear.

I have also noticed they do not hold up value very well compared to Toyota 4-Runners.

I understand the Discovery is an entirely different beast, but how does it compare to a Toyota or Nissan in reliabilty?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What year/years should I be on the look-out for in terms of mechanical problems? I have heard anecdotal ramblings from Biff the yuppie, but really don't consider that as solid evidence of their fragility;electrical and gaskets I hear.

I have also noticed they do not hold up value very well compared to Toyota 4-Runners.

I understand the Discovery is an entirely different beast, but how does it compare to a Toyota or Nissan in reliabilty?
View Quote

All you have to do is drive one to see there is no comparison.They also come with complimentary maintenance up to 45,000 miles.
You may get more problem free miles out of a Toyota in the long run but there is nothing like a Rover. In the winter when nobody else can get around in the worst weather it's like any other 70 degree day in my Discovery!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one for sale if anyone interested.  
That is kinda deep for a Disco without a snorkle.  I sunk my first one in the river making a crossing.  It lost air and died.  Then the current rolled it on the side.  We had to swim out in 30 degree water. The wreckers couldn't get to it.  We tried for two days to get it out, but the sand had completly covered it!!It's still there.  Insurance covered it, but my rates went through the roof. The newer ones '99 and up series 2 are a lot better made than the series one's.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I forgot to say that I'm glad DoctorJess has taken her Disco where it belongs-off road.  Too many yuppie soccer moms around here drive them and never fully understand what's so great about them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
hey man, that is the exact reason i bought my cherokee, the last year of a good vehicle, i have yet see a Liberty off road. lol. since we brought this up, anyone know where i can get gas/water carriers for back of jeep, i looked all over web and only found a couple places, i was kinda surprised.
View Quote

If you go deep enough off road, you will run into the Liberty gang....

[img]http://gpn.rockcrawler.com/images/image3.jpg[/img]

More pics [url=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407307]here...[/url]

As for jeep stuff, try [url]www.jeepsunlimited.com[/url] [;)]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats Dr Jess on a sweet ride!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I worked at a Cadillac/Range Rover dealer from 1990-2001. Personally, I don't care for any vehicle made in England, they haven't learned how to build vehicles yet. The early full size Rover  County's were OK by Range Rover standards. The early Discovery's were very problematic, very poor quality, factory sent a "team" over to inspect every Discovery on our lot in 2000 due to quality problems. Stay away from the early 4.0 models, they were absolutely junk. All Rovers are expensive to maintain and if you don't follow the maintenance schedule to the letter the warranty can be void. I can't speak for the 2002 and up models, I'm in a different career now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
i bought a discovery new in 99 and sold it last year. the #1 problem i have with it is power. it was a small 4.0 V8 that only made 160hp and it got 15mpg. my dads tahoe has a 300hp vortec and gets 21mpg. thats inexcusable. on the other hand its about the best vehicle ive ever owned and land rovers service department is the finest in the industry....and my disco was there ALOT. my recomendation is to buy one certified pre-owed. they are one of the fastest depreciating vehicles there is and if you can get a lease turn in with warranty you will make out. buy it brand new like i did and youre screwing yourself. let someone else take that 20% depreciation the day they drive it off the lot

ymmv
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]
The new 2003 Land Rover Discovery has a whole new powerplant. Actually, it is the same 4.6 liter engine that used to reside in the Range Rover. It puts out a lot more horsepower and much more torque. In fact, it is rated to tow more weight than any other SUV in its class and at 3650 pounds, has a higher cargo load capacity that any other SUV out there except the the Range Rover and the Hummer H1.

All that aside, there aren't many stock SUV's that will go where a stock Land Rover will go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know why computers aren't made in England?

They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil!!!!!

hahahahahaha

TXL
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#35]
What!? We don't need no steenkin' Land Rovers. We got ourselves a Jeep![^] Yesiree, Bob, Americun made, kidney-punchin', rough-ridin', sonumabichen JEEP! When ya gotta get there...there's only one JEEP! [hail2]

[img]http://www.m715zone.com/galleries/miscpics/4/stockwithtrailer2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you go deep enough off road, you will run into the Liberty gang....
View Quote

Phhhhhh! [ROFL2] "If you go deep enough off road...." How far is that? A mile off of pavement on a grade one forest road? Those roads shown in your pictures are supposed to impress someone on the capabilities of a Liberty?

The Liberty will NEVER have the following that Cherokees had! The Jeep Liberty was made for soccer moms to get around town when there wasn't more than a foot of snow on the ground.

As far as I'm concerned, Jeep screwed up royally when they stopped making the Cherokee. I have a love affair with Jeeps. I had four of them, two cherokees, one M38, and my prize is one of these....

[img]http://www.m715zone.com/galleries/miscpics/4/stockwithtrailer2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Light Fighter - That's awesome! What do you have for tires and suspension?

Here is mine - three days old and bone stock. It was kind of funny watching a lifted Jeep Wrangler 4x4 try to follow us through this little puddle, only to stall and have to be completely dried out.

[url]http://www.jessvet.com/images/JLR 2.jpg[/url]

Any suggestions about what to do next? Oh... this was one of the smaller puddles. The larger puddles were flowing onto the windshield.
View Quote
That is what they are made for and I am glad someone besides a soccer mom got at least one of them and is driving it the way they were meant to be driven. See you on a trail someday, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Phhhhhh! [ROFL2] "If you go deep enough off road...." How far is that? A mile off of pavement on a grade one forest road? Those roads shown in your pictures are supposed to impress someone on the capabilities of a Liberty?
View Quote

I am impressed, most of the 4WD community is impressed.

That is no 'grade one forest road' nor a 'mile off of pavement', those pics were taken in the Rock Garden on the Holcomb trail.

The John Bull long with Holcomb Creek and Rock Garden are rated Most Difficult. The trail is a mini Rubicon with boulders and short hills to work the way up.

[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Rock+Garden%2C+Holcomb+trail&btnG=Google+Search] Google Search of Rock Garden & Holcomb trail[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Isn't that a wee bit expensive to go thrashing about in...or is it used?
View Quote

I had my first Isuzu Trooper less than a week when I put scratches from bumper to bumper on each side.  Its going to get scratched if you use it.  Might as well use it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Its going to get scratched if you use it.  Might as well use it.
View Quote

Indeed, but when you buy a new truck, you are paying top dollar for it to be pristine.  One trip through the bushes can do a lot of deflowering.  It would seem smarter to start with something that was already not a virgin.  Seems like an awful expensive couple of days/weeks of immaculate condition.

The only off roading I have done extensively is on the beaches of NC.  It always amused me to see vacationers taking the new grand cherokee into the sand and salt, just for the hell of it.  Who's on vacation, you or the truck?  It is a very corrosive environment, and sand/salt gets into everything.  If the wind is blowing, you will get a nice salt glaze to boot.  If you're not careful, you may not notice that sand has collected in the stripping at the base of your windows.  When you roll it down, you can etch lots of little parallel lines.  You cannot clean it up and pretend it was never on the beach.  Just my opinion, but this sounds like a job for a used truck.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#41]
"It's never over in a Rover!!!"
I love my Disco. I've pulled Jeep Grand Cherokees that were stuck in the snow out in "Monty". Rovers rule!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Toyota LandCruiser that I wouldn't trade for anything.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ED
View Quote

Starting from $34,995.*
View Quote

I wouldn't want to scratch the paint after a cash expenditure like that. [shock]

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
If your chicken to take your new vehicle off road.  Get a rental.  Here's a pic of an isuzu club member's girlfriend driving a rental trooepr down highdive in Moab.  BTW, get the insurance!!

[img]http://www.trailseeker.com/4x4/Crawloween/chris-btr/images/MVC-880F.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#45]
well, just HAD to take her out again today!!!

i mean, how could i resist - it was a beautiful day here in South Florida, no one out on the trails, and way too many untraveled paths of mud and water to be explored...

is it a vehicle that has some dollars behind it?? yeah, sure it does..but shit, if i wanted a car to just drive around in from here to there, i would've gotten something else...

point is, i wanted something i could use for business as well as something i could use off-road..and the Disco has met all my criteria...

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If your chicken to take your new vehicle off road.  Get a rental.  Here's a pic of an isuzu club member's girlfriend driving a rental trooepr down highdive in Moab.  BTW, get the insurance
View Quote

Also, be sure to get a driver that knows to air her tires down a wee bit to increase her vehicle's traction when crawling over rocks....could make all the difference!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If your chicken to take your new vehicle off road.  Get a rental.  Here's a pic of an isuzu club member's girlfriend driving a rental trooepr down highdive in Moab.  BTW, get the insurance!!

[url]http://www.trailseeker.com/4x4/Crawloween/chris-btr/images/MVC-880F.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Moab looks like an awesome place to go.  Hopefully I'll get there one of these years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, the tires were defintiely a hindernace.  they were 29"tire on 16" rims so, they didn't air down to effectively.  I have the same trooper w/ 33s.  They do much better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top