Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 4:42:44 AM EDT
[b]THE TRUTH ABOUT JOHN GALT[/b]
In her novel Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand rhetorically asks, "Who is John Galt?" The question cannot be answered and is a symbol of objectivism. Among other things, it implies extreme individualism and distrust of government.

John Galt
Novelist(Scotland)
1779-1839  

Galt was born in Irvine on 2nd May 1779. His family moved to Greenock when he was ten and he stayed there for the next ten years. He moved to London in 1804 and tried to establish himself in business with little success. From 1809 to 1811 he toured the countries of the Mediterranean and became acquainted with Lord Byron, of whom he wrote the first biography. He wrote plays, poetry and biography before discovering his real métier as a novelist. From 1827 to 1829 he acted as manager of a company engaged in the settlement of a large part of Ontario.

As for the verbosity, I cannot say.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Strange, no comments.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
John Galt founded the city of Guelph...

Where I am sitting now...

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Double[s]Trouble[/s]Feed should be along any minute....
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
What exactly sort of response do you expect?  Did you bother to read Atlas or are you just confused?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I started reading [i][u]Atlas Shrugged[/i][/u] a couple of weeks ago.

Normally, I'm a very quick reader.

Jebus, Ayn Rand is a [i]lousy[/i] fiction writer.  Her essays are heavy (read [i]The Comprachicos[/i] some time), but that novel just. plain. SUCKS.

All of her principal characters aren't people, they're walking two-dimensional psychoses.  The world she constructed has all the subtle, intricate detail of a 3 year-old's Leggo construction.  With the BIG blocks.

But less color.  It's all blacks & whites & Reds.  

And she has a [i]REAL[/i] problem with sex.

Something is very wrong with her Objectivist philosophy if the only people who can practice it properly are mentally disturbed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What exactly sort of response do you expect?  Did you bother to read Atlas or are you just confused?
View Quote

Humor, I trust you are not humor deprived.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would John Galt ask, "Who is John Galt?"

That is an unanswerable question - that has an answer.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I kind of thought that might have been what you were attempting.  Emphasis on [b]attempting[/b]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I kind of thought that might have been what you were attempting.  Emphasis on [b]attempting[/b]
View Quote

Now, be nice![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top