Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 6:10:31 AM EDT
We talk about the married couple family unit as being the building block of society, and there's a lot to be said for it.

But how's about people like me that married at about 40 or older and had no kids?

Should couples that marry later in life (as in too old to reproduce) be given the same tax breaks as younger couples.

I mention this because of a previous 'gay thread' regarding gay marriages.

For all intents and purposes, my hetro marriage at 40+ is probably about the same as a gay marriage in the respect that there will be no children to come out of it.

What do people like me contribute to society?

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...be given the same tax breaks as younger couples.
View Quote

What tax breaks are those?  No kids, no deductions.  Married couples currently pay more taxes for the privilege of being married.  Your wife may get your Social Security when you die, I believe.

What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
This has the potential to become very broad in scope.

For all intents and purposes, my hetro marriage at 40+ is probably about the same as a gay marriage in the respect that there will be no children to come out of it.

View Quote

If we live our lives properly we contribute much more than kids.  Heck, there are a lot of people who produce kids that don't contribute to society.

There has been an effort from some corners to trivialize the institution of marriage.  It ranges from the "it's just a piece of paper" crowd to homosexuals saying, "We want to be married too!"  Those who say living together is the same as being married generally don't understand commitment.  As for the concept of "homosexual marriage", I have my opinions based in my system of morality and I think it's as wrong as two boys kissing.  Can I make the case from a purely secular, humanistic perspective?  Probably not, but that's OK with me, because I don't live my life according to secular, humanistic principles.

As for taxes, I guess I'd just have to say I put such value on the institution of marriage that I'm for a break for married couples.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

You contribute peace, stability, and teamwork (that's not the word I want, but it'll do).

What's wrong about that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Your contribution is to serve as an example that a long-term happy marriage is fulfilling and fun.

Otherwise, why bother.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you need a reminder, go ask that Marine recruiter who found out you were a Merchant Marine Officer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Children or not, you provide the means for the education of everyones child through taxes on all levels.  The marriage penalty that was imposed on both spouses working, and paying more in taxes, as opposed to one parent working and paying less in taxes will be corrected.  Being childless should not be punished by any government because you do not bear children. IMHO
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

You mean besides S.E.C. stories?
You show that marriage is a commitment to another person...in this age of disposable everything, I hate to see marriage being thrown into the same category.

When I said my vows, I took them seriously. My wife and I had a difficult period, but we worked through it. We are all the more stronger because of it. Now we have a wonderful son who will be turning a year old in a week and a half.
We could have just thrown in the towel and called it quits, but we wanted to work it out. We love each other very much. And now we are happy, and know what it was that was causing problems for us and we are addressing that issue as much as we can to avoid it from happening again.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing, get a Divorce!!! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
No matter what society says, and with out any moral overtones, Homosexuals are deviants.

Plain and simple.

Heterosexual couples are non-deviants.

Again, plain and simple.

You and your marriage contribute to holding back the tide of deviance in our country.  Be proud of that fact.

As soon as homosexuals are allowed to marry (shudder), whats to stop brothers and sisters?  A farmer and his beloved sheep? Or any number of other "consensual" deviant behaivor?

You all realize that the only good thing to come out of the SC ruling is the basis for overturning *all* laws against prostitution.

I also can't see laws against polygamy standing for very long now either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]
The world has enough people already. Having kids adds a burden to society, need more schools, more roads, more land cleared for houses, more polution ...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The world has enough people already. Having kids adds a burden to society, need more schools, more roads, more land cleared for houses, more polution ...
View Quote

Save the planet, kill yourself!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top