Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2001 7:12:58 PM EDT
I have my ar bush but also thinking of buying a mini14 was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this gun ....any good ..thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
i think you would be dropping in quality significantly. Use the money to buy stuff for the ar
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If your looking for a plinker they are good .They are really picky about the mag selection as only afew will work.Factory or precision mags work in mine with no jams whatsoever.Thermold and mitchell work good also.as far as accuracy they are ok but dont expect moa more like 3-6 inches at 100.I got tired of trying to get good accuracy out of mine and just bought an ar but still enjoy shooting the mini for plinking and have nothing bad to say about it there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It is what it is, a good ranch gun.  However, from [url]http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite&naventryid=156[/url]

[b][red]Q.Ok so American support is important, then why not select a Ruger Mini-14? It’s got the same effective 5.56mm caliber, its lightweight and about half the price!"[/b][/red] [size=3]

First reason is the availability of spare parts. I can get any part I want for an AR at any time. The factory must fit many of the Mini-14 parts and they will not sell them to you for your installation or spares (important parts like extractors, firing pins, and barrels fit into this category). The Mini is also notoriously inaccurate (did you ever see one win a competition - practical or KD?), and the sights are poor when compared with the AR-15s (even the A1 style sights are better than the Ruger’s). The Mini’s ergonomics are not as good as the AR’s, especially when changing the magazine. Speaking of magazines, try to find some good hi-capacity magazines for a Mini-14 (only good ones are Ruger & PMI). They run two to four times the cost of a USGI AR-15 magazine. Even decent 10 round magazines can’t be found (you are left with factory 5 round magazines). By the time you bought a rifle and 10 hi-cap magazines you could have bought a Bushmaster AR-15, 10 USGI magazines, and between 500 to 1000 rounds. Also, with the AR you can change calibers and select the rifle twist of your choice for 5.56; Mini-14s have different twist rates depending on when they were produced (older Mini-14s cannot shoot the 62gr M855 round for example). Besides the lack of cost effectiveness of the Mini-14s, it’s accuracy problems, and non-availability of parts; this was the company that supported the ban on high capacity magazines to the public - enough said.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold my Mini, just didn't use it much anymore. I think the AK would be a much better choice for a second gun.
1) Cheap, plentiful, ammo.
2) Cheap, tough, plentiful mags.
3) Cheap, plentiful, accesories
The AK has it all over the Mini in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Shovelhead,

I own both.  IMO you are throwing your money away.  Why?  because the AR is superior for ANYTHING including plinking.  The only reason I can think of shooting my Minis is I have some steel case ammo I bought (before I knew better) and can use it up.  Except the last time I tried that I broke the firing pin in the Mini, which, required sending back to Ruger for repair.

If you want something else to plink with get a Ruger 10/22.  Yes, I said a 22.  These are fun, cheap, accurate (for training), and you can shoot one all day for pennies.  Add to that they have almost the same amount of after market goodies as an AR and can be modified by you like an AR.  Mine is a 10/22T (target, bull barrel) that I have installed a match trigger in and installed a Tasco World Class scope on.  Shoots great.

If I haven't talked you out of it and you live in AZ then, want to buy one of MY Mini 14s????

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My mini-14 is used for plinking. It is a blast and will use any type of ammo. I would never use Wolf in my AR, only with my Mini-14. With the money I save on ammo, i can easily buy another mini-14 if the Wolf ammo screws it up. Very reliable and inexpensive. Why do you think many prisons still have them. (saw that piece of info on the Discovery channel)
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I haven't talked you out of it and you live in AZ then, want to buy one of MY Mini 14s????

James
View Quote

If he's not interested, jimmybcool, I may be. I'd like to get another mini-14 as a spare. I'll be an AZ resident soon, so if you'll let it go for cheap, I might pick it up from you.
[:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Can anyone pinpoint what makes a mini-14 so inaccurate?  If it only shoots 3-6 moa, I don't even think I'd get one for plinking.

[red][size=4]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine shoots great, functions flawlessly with USA mags, no less. I would buy another AR,AK,FAL first, however. Just my 2 cents. If you really want a Mini-14 then buy one. I don't really think you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my mini for $320 and it is a great rifle.  It is a accurate as I need it to be and it is reliable.  It is a good plinker.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like shooting my Mini 14, in fact it will be one of the guns i take to the range when i go this week.

I have Ruger, PMI, & Thermold magazines for mine, in 5,20,& 30 round capacity. all are 100% reliable and they cost me from $16.00 to $25.00 new at Cali gun shows in 1998/99. The Thermolds are my favorite for the Mini.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it only shoots 3-6 moa, I don't even think I'd get one for plinking.

View Quote

That's accurate enought to hit a small paper plate every time at 100 yards. what kind of targets do you use for "plinking"?
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Mini-14's are good rifles.  After all Mr. T and the A Team used them, so they can't be half bad, right?  I find that they aren't as accurate as an AR-15, but are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Why do you think many prisons still have them. (saw that piece of info on the Discovery channel)
View Quote

Trust me.  Law enforcement will mostly get what will work.  The board doesn't think much of quality when it comes down to firearms.  They think, well, if it will work, why pay any more for a different firearm.  This fact has been proven to me along with other items.  Ahhh.. the all mighty dollar.

If I had one rifle to bet my life on, mini-14 would NOT be on my list.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone shut up!  I'm trying to sell someone my Mini-14!
Seriously, don't buy one.  I have a stainless steel Ranch rifle and two 40 rounders.  It shoots about 6" at 100 yards - my AK does better than that and is cheaper, more dependable, has spare parts and pleantiful, GOOD mags.  After shooting an AR you won't be impressed with a Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Walk into gun store today:

Mini 14 w/ rings $580

Bushy 16" A2 $650

sorry not worth the cost difference

get an AR
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]
yea, for what I dont know?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh, apples, soda cans, stuff like that.  Somehow, I would accept a little looser groups from an AK or an FN, but that's out of the question.  I like the 'made in the USA' feature of Ruger, but would like better groups  for the price you'll pay.

Quoted:
Quoted:
If it only shoots 3-6 moa, I don't even think I'd get one for plinking.

View Quote

That's accurate enought to hit a small paper plate every time at 100 yards. what kind of targets do you use for "plinking"?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Last shooting session I did hit a 10" steel plate three out of five time at 300 yard.
It is a S/S Ranch with 3-9X scope. (tasco) Its a low-end setup.
Nice thing is yo can throw it in the back of your truck and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Why would you even think of ever potentially trusting your life to an inferior firearm?!?  ESPECIALLY when a good AR is just a tiny bit more money (see above posting on Bushy's).  Mini-14's are essentially only good for shooting off to make noise at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Walk into gun store today:

Mini 14 w/ rings $580

View Quote

Must be some super rare varient of the Mini-14. The Mini-14 cost about $398.00 and doesnt come with rings.

Perhaps you were looking at a Runger Ranch Rifle? I bought one of those for $469.00.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The Mini 14 is a nice little rifle.  I have two of them and they have been great.  I have a 5.56 AK, and three ARs as well.  I guess some of these guys only pull the trigger at the bench, with their need for 1 MOA.  
If that's what you are after don't buy a Mini.  But a Mini can shoot better than a bunch of shooters can.  

As far as mags go, you can find PMI mags for about $30-35 if you are patient.  Lots of folks are paying that much for NIW GI mags.

I like my ARs, no doubt about it.  But Minis are a good deal for the money, in general.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to have a ss mini-14 ranch rifle, used it as a trade-in on my first AR-15 (preban Colt SP1)and have never been sad about it. I don't miss it at all. The accuracy sucked and good mags were hard to come by. The Ar-15 does everything that a mini-14 does, and does it better. My second AR-15, a bushmaster shorty is my plinking rifle and I can definately out-plink all my mini-14 friends with it. I just picked up a AK-47 which is alot of fun and cheap too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Take it from experience - DON'T buy one. You WILL be disappointed, and you WILL take a loss when you decide to trade it or sell it. The only way I would recommend buying one is if you find somebody who is hard up, has one with a bunch of GOOD mags and is willing to sell it REAL CHEAP.
Ruger has some great guns, but the the Mini is their WORST. It simply is not worth the price.
For $150 more you could buy a Bushmaster. For more than a $100 LESS you could buy a Remington 700 ADL bolt action that will shoot circles around a Mini.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]
No

Saleen
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Take it from experience - DON'T buy one. You WILL be disappointed.....

It simply is not worth the price.
For $150 more you could buy a Bushmaster....
View Quote

Many of use own and enjoy Mini 14 rifles. So it is hard to say if he will be "disappointed".

A standard Mini-14 cost $398.00, the cheapest I have ever seen a Bushmaster AR is $599.00.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#30]

For anyone who already owns a Mini (and bought mags when they were cheap)and enjoys shooting it that's great. BUT today for someone who is contemplating spending this much money for one, I still hold my position that there are much better values to be had. Factoring the cost of magazines alone is justification NOT to buy one, the Bushmaster is ultimately the better value. By the time you pay exhorbant prices for 5-6 mags for the Mini you are up to the cost of a Bushmaster. Keep a Mini for 10 years and see how much it depreciates. Keep a Bushmaster, Colt, or Armalite 10 years and then see what it will sell for. It's no contest. Everyone I have ever known that ever had a Mini (except 1 person who has lots of $$$$$ invested in his) has traded it in on something else or sold it outright, and always at a loss, myself included.
My mini with a 9 power scope would not shoot a group smaller than 5-6 inches at 100 yards with PREMIUM ammo or handloads. By the time I had bought magazines, a scope, mounts, sling, etc. I had enough money in the thing to burn a wet mule. Hell my Marlin 336 that I bought years ago at K-Mart for $200 shot WAY better. Oh yeah and my $129.00 SKS too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My mini with a 9 power scope....
View Quote

Why would you scope a Mini 14? a Ruger Ranch Rifle is a much better choice if you intend to use optics.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Bushmaster and a Mini 14, Mini is a great little gun. I bought it from Sears mail order. Yes for serious social work it is the AR. back up and fun the mini is great.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#33]
And the Mini is Kalifornia legal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Mini-14's are sometimes used by law enforcement because they're cheap!  While its the street guys that have to carry them, its the administrative types that buy them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought a Mini simply because I ALWAYS wanted one. It does NOT shoot as well as the AR perhaps, but then again, its NOT an AR!

Mini vs AK is moot to me, as MY AK's all shoot 7.62.

I enjoy my Mini for plinking, I just had it out LAST Saturday...
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#36]
What CavVet said! I enjoy my Mini30 and GB14 just as much as my AR's!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And the Mini is Kalifornia legal.
View Quote

This is a very good point, as I am in CA (only as long as I have to be, for degree purposes), and had to find a better home for my Bushmaster.

I'm considering the Mini-14 for fun and purpose, but what about the Mini-30?  Any obvious reasons to go for one over the other?  My wife loved shooting a friends Ruger PC9 and I'll probably get her one of those or the PC4.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#38]
If you think those guys on the A-Team loved their Mini-14s so much, how come they were NEVER able to hit any of the bad guys with one?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mini-14's are good rifles.  After all Mr. T and the A Team used them, so they can't be half bad, right?  
View Quote

The A-Team also would shoot hundreds of rounds at the bad guys and never hit them. That's not exactly a very good testimonial to the Mini-14's accuracy.

Or for that matter, Mr. T's aim.

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#40]
The Ruger Mini 14 is a great little rifle and purchesed my vary first one way back in 1978 when they were issued the wood forearm. I have only used 20 rd Ruger magazines with this gun and its just perfect. Last month i picked up a the Ranch Rifle and the quality is still there at a price of 420.00 and shoots like a dream with a 3x9 tasco mounted for Mr. wiley Coyotee.  I have my fair share of AR15's, but when i go shooting with the cousins at the wheat ranch the mini 14 prevales as everyone owns one and few of the relitives get a little excited over the"Black Rifles" so i just keep the peace and pack the 14 the consertives in the family. The only bich ai have s that ruger 20 rounders are in the 80.00 plus range in i can find them.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I just bought a stainless Mini-14.  I was just going in to order an AR-180B and walked out with a Mini-14.  It was a decent deal and came with a stock Ruger mag and three 30rnd mags.  

My AR-180B will not be here until Oktober.

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top