Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 8:55:06 PM EDT
I don't think so.  I reread the Book of Revelations the other day and I don't think we are anywhere near the end of that thing.  I think it will take thousands of more years to play out.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Who gives a rat ass.  Either way I will die.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It already did.  Where were you?  We had a keg and everything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
With the number of stupid people I meet and see on TV each day, it would certainly seem possible. Large numbers of these people certainly could go a long way in speeding up the process.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
only as we know it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The planet will be here for another few billion years, give or take, until the sun expands into a red giant and consumes it.
Whether there is life on it for an appreciable percentage of that time is dependant on too many conditions to comment.
There is also the possibility that humans will have spread through the stars long before this cosmic event.
As for any religious beliefs concerning the "end of the world," I hold none such.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
No, the world will be here for a long time. Human beings time may end on this planet, but it will still be here, circling the sun, until the sun dies.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think so.  I reread the Book of Revelations the other day and I don't think we are anywhere near the end of that thing.  I think it will take thousands of more years to play out.  What do you think?
View Quote

You reread a fiction book. Do you think Jack Ryan will be president?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If we use Califorina as a model... We are all doomed!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry wrong answer ThelluRider.  

You didn’t answer the question.

Me rereading Revelations had nothing to do with the question.  I merely offered it as a catalyst as to why I asked that question today of all days.

If you are going to be answering my posts in the future please try to get your reading comprehension up to at least a third grade level.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing we have less than 10 years before the "s" really hits the fan.

Biblically speaking, I'm surprised that we are still here. There are a few of the faithfull left, but Islam (which is the most evil of all religions, no matter what YOU think) is GAINING in popularity.

You must not have read Revelation early enough or as many times as you should have. The few  things that had always been missing in order for Armegeddon to occur were high-speed communications (TV, internet, satellites), nuclear weaponry and an army that was capable of taking on "any" other army.

We have [red]that army[/red] and any "regime change" of this army would mean a destruction beyond any scale ever imagined.

I will only skip across the topics of homosexual priests, homosexual weddings, MTV, welfare, abortion-on-demand, Earth worship, and pretty much everything else that the media likes to promote...and public television.

Shit, I suppose I could also mention actual Revelation prophesy that has already been fulfilled a hundred times over.[:(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Short answer yes with an "if", long answer no with a "but".
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#12]
DevilsAdvocate

What about the mark of the beast and the antichrist?  I think there are to many faithful on the earth right now for it to be the end.  I think Islam will grow and grow over the next hundred years then maybe it will be closer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
DevilsAdvocate

What about the mark of the beast and the antichrist?
View Quote

Bush.

[?]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't give a crap when it happens, I just don't wanna end up in Hell.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
You know, I think the book of Revalation is probably one of the greatest evils ever done to the human race.

It would be ever so nice if the sky pointing god apes could get this basic Good vs Evil thing knocked out. We've gone from flint tools to atomic bombs and the human genome, but still have not figured out the most basic difference in what is bad for us and what is good for us.

The Idea that the human race must destroy itself is EVIL. If the devil ever had a hand in writing any book of the bible, it would most surely be Revalations.

God gave me a brain, so I tend to use it. now me personaly, I think god would much rather we build spacecraft and then go out into the cosmos and find him.

If we are all gods children, would a father rather see his children grow or would he rather see them shoot them selves in the head.

The idea that our religion has a built in self destruct mechanism for all of mankind is about the most evil thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the book of "Revelation", does NOT describe, "The End of the World".......

(And, it's playing out now...)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DevilsAdvocate

What about the mark of the beast and the antichrist?  I think [red]there are too many faithful on the earth right now for it to be the end[/red].  I think Islam will grow and grow over the next hundred years then maybe it will be closer.
View Quote

I'm confused, could you please elucidate on the statement in red? Ya lost me! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#19]
It seems to me that in Revelations, for some of the stuff to happen, like the world worshiping an antichrist and people taking the mark of the beast, Christianity would have to have almost died out.  

If the world woke up tomorrow faced with taking a tattoo or a microchip in their hand or head or not being able to eat, I think a good majority would not take it, because the Bible is so fresh in their heads.  Years down the road, maybe no one will be Christians, maybe Islams maybe something else.   That is why I don’t think we are close to anything of significance.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It seems to me that in Revelations, for some of the stuff to happen, like the world worshiping an antichrist and people taking the mark of the beast, Christianity would have to have almost died out.
View Quote

Not died out, just largely apostate, and ineffective. We see today, in our country, the effects of that very thing happening. Today, for the first time in human history, we really do have the capability to track every financial transaction.

If the world woke up tomorrow faced with taking a tattoo or a microchip in their hand or head or not being able to eat, I think a good majority would not take it, because the Bible is so fresh in their heads.
View Quote

How can you say the Bible is "fresh" in any ones heads, and at the same time, look upon our Country???  We left our Christian heritage, as a nation, long ago.

Years down the road, maybe no one will be Christians, maybe Islams maybe something else.   That is why I don’t think we are close to anything of significance.
View Quote

No, years down the road, ALL will be Christians...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Remember the book of Revelations was written by a superstitious author about events happening in his time (persecution of Christians by Nero "the beast" Ceasar). Don't get carried away reading anything into it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Post from THellURider -
You reread a fiction book. Do you think Jack Ryan will be president?
View Quote

What part is fiction?

Or is it fiction in its entirety?

I believe that there is [u]no[/u] fiction whatsoever in the Book.

That, however, is just [u]my[/u] belief.

And the belief of about 1,000,000,000 others.

The chances that someone such as the Historical [b]Jesus[/b] could have arisen at the time and place that ancient writings had foretold, lived and died precisely as had been prophesied, had such an impact on Mankind as had also been foretold, and that about a Billion Folks here on earth believe it NOW, are, simply put, astronomical!

What are the chances that the Algonquin Indians can gather together today and retake the entire state of New York, and their ancient homelands?

Pretty damn slim, I would suppose. And they have only been gone from the historical scene for less than three hundred years!

[b]The Jews did it after TWO THOUSAND YEARS![/b]

Eric The(JustToPrepareTheWayForTheLordAgain!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember the book of Revelations was written by a superstitious author about events happening in his time (persecution of Christians by Nero "the beast" Ceasar). Don't get carried away reading anything into it.
View Quote

That is certainly [u]one[/u] interpretation of the Book of Revelations.

There are others, of course.

My own denomination believes that the events that were described by St. John were for the Christians of that day, not ours.

Luckily, our denomination does not require a 'creed' of beliefs for membership in the Body of Christ!

Eric The(TrueBeliever)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#24]
"The more a man is imbued with the ordered regularity of all events, the firmer becomes his conviction that there is no room left by the side of this ordered regularity for causes of a different nature. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exist as an independent cause of natural events. To be sure, the doctrine of a personal God interfering with natural events could never be refuted, in the real sense, by science, for this doctrine can always take refuge in those domains in which scientific knowledge has not yet been able to set foot. But I am persuaded that such behavior on the part of the representatives of religion would not only be unworthy but also fatal. For a doctrine which is able to maintain itself not in clear light, but only in the dark, will of necessity lose its effect on mankind, with incalculable harm to human progress. In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast powers in the hands of priests. In their labors they will have to avail themselves of those forces which are capable of cultivating the Good, the True, and the Beautiful in humanity itself. This is, to be sure, a more difficult but an incomparably more worthy task."

Albert Einstein
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry wrong answer ThelluRider.  

You didn’t answer the question.

Me rereading Revelations had nothing to do with the question.  I merely offered it as a catalyst as to why I asked that question today of all days.

If you are going to be answering my posts in the future please try to get your reading comprehension up to at least a third grade level.  Thanks.
View Quote

Actually I did answer the question. You see that thing at the top of the thread? Thats a poll. I clicked in my choice. Next time you don't understand sarcasm when you see it, pull your head out of your ass.

ETH: It is totally MY belief, thank you. [;)]
       Hope all is well with you and the dog.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The chances that someone such as the Historical [b]Jesus[/b] could have arisen at the time and place that ancient writings had foretold, lived and died precisely as had been prophesied, had such an impact on Mankind as had also been foretold, and that about a Billion Folks here on earth believe it NOW, are, simply put, astronomical!
View Quote

That makes the assumption that Jesus didn't actively try to be the fulfillment of as many of the prophecies as he could, and also assumes that many unconfirmable details about his life are accurately portrayed in the Bible.  Neither is certain.

What are the chances that the Algonquin Indians can gather together today and retake the entire state of New York, and their ancient homelands?

Pretty damn slim, I would suppose. And they have only been gone from the historical scene for less than three hundred years!

[b]The Jews did it after TWO THOUSAND YEARS![/b]

Not so slim at all if the Algonquins were a huge part of the religious beliefs of two of the most powerful nations on Earth (the US and Britain) who believed they were helping to advance the cause of their religion by getting them back onto their land.

Eric The(JustToPrepareTheWayForTheLordAgain!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What part is fiction?
View Quote

Nothing much really. Only the short section that starts with "In the beginning..." and ends in "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't think that I will see the end of days, but what are you going to do? It would proabably be a good time. After all I am most likly going to heaven, so who cares.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#30]
There's no chance it will happen in the next 50 years.  The sad part is that the earth may still be here, but with all the dumb f'ing people who grow up hating America, there might not be any more people left!  Obviously that won't happen, but I think that the Earth is here to stay for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Post from RikWriter -
That makes the assumption that Jesus didn't actively try to be the fulfillment of as many of the prophecies as he could, and also assumes that many unconfirmable details about his life are accurately portrayed in the Bible. Neither is certain.
View Quote

[b]Jesus[/b] actually may have tried to live His life in such a manner as to fulfill the ancient prophecies?

How did He arrange with His earthly parents to be born in the City of David?

Oh, that's right, YOU are not certain that He as even born in Bethlehem!

What maneuvers did He have to undertake to goad Pontius Pilate into crucifying Him?

But, then YOU don't even believe that He was crucified, now do you??!!

And then, after His Death, how did He arrange to have the Date of His Birth known throughout the entire present-day world?

Even if you write a check in Hong Kong today, you may use the Chinese date, but it must be followed by '2003'!!

International banking laws, don't you know! [:D]

Now I suppose that this dead Jew Pretender somehow arranged to be the 'Light unto the Gentiles', that 'divided the times' for them, as was foretold, AFTER His death!

Can you think of anyone else in the History of the World that performed so neat a trick as that?

Nope.

The world that you seem to imagine is a world that I would think NEEDS a Savior such as [b]Christ![/b]

I would think that you would hope that [b]Jesus[/b] was the 'real deal.'

I [u]know[/u] that He is THE real deal!

As do about a Billion others who are alive today!

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That makes it one out of 6. Shall we have a vote? :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What part is fiction?
View Quote

Nothing much really. Only the short section that starts with "In the beginning..." and ends in "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."
View Quote

Well, that's certainly what they taught in the schools in Soviet-Occupied East Germany!

So tell me, [b]Brother Kar98[/b], what keeps you thinking so 'Soviet-like' today?

Even the Russians have repented and are moving back to their traditional Orthodox beliefs!

As my German Great Grandmother used to say of such Volks...'So soon old, so late schmart!'

Eric The(Haughty)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't the Mayan calendar predict the end to be in 2012?

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, that's certainly what they taught in the schools in Soviet-Occupied East Germany!
View Quote

So, what does this have to do with anything? They also taught me how to read and write, and, quite unintentionally I suppose, to be able to think for myself and to recognize a cock-and-bull story if I hear one.

Even the Russians have repented and are moving back to their traditional Orthodox beliefs!
View Quote

Russians are opportunistic feeders who pretend to be anything if it serves their purpose. I didn't follow their lead back when they preached communism, and I won't follow them now that they pretend to be christians.

In not so many words, only because a subject was taught in East Germany doesn't make it wrong.

In _really_ short words: Hitler was a vegetarian, do vegetarians all kill jews?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I hope so. I want to watch.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Post from Kar98 -
So, what does this have to do with anything? They also taught me how to read and write, and, quite unintentionally I suppose, to be able to think for myself and to recognize a cock-and-bull story if I hear one.
View Quote

Yes, your 'Soviet' teachers certainly did teach you [u]how[/u] to read and write, all right.

It's painfully obvious!

They probably taught you a great deal more than you will ever realize.

My American teachers probably 'brainwashed' me, as well. They were all good Christians. Pretty much had to be, to keep a job back in those days!

But the 'soap' that they used on my brain was considerably less harmful than the toxic soap the Soviets used on y'all!

[b]The entirety of Western Civilization built upon a 'cock and bull story'??!![/b]

Now, I am certain [u]that[/u] sounded much more convincing in the original Russian! [:D]

Eric The(HonestToGosh)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#38]
[devil]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My American teachers probably 'brainwashed' me, as well.
View Quote

Well, they shouldn't have tumble-dried your brain, it's painfully obvious that it shrunk beyond recognition.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
You would rather have your brain beaten dry against a flat rock as they did in Post-War, Soviet Occupied East Germany?

At least we had clothes dryers! [:D]

Eric The(IThoughtItWasRockedAndRolled)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[b]Jesus[/b] actually may have tried to live His life in such a manner as to fulfill the ancient prophecies?

How did He arrange with His earthly parents to be born in the City of David?
Oh, that's right, YOU are not certain that He as even born in Bethlehem!
View Quote

That's right.  There is no proof of it whatsoever.

What maneuvers did He have to undertake to goad Pontius Pilate into crucifying Him?

But, then YOU don't even believe that He was crucified, now do you??!!
View Quote

I accept the possibility he was crucified.  After reading the prophecies that supposedly predict it, I think whether they actually speak of crucifixion is a matter of debate.

And then, after His Death, how did He arrange to have the Date of His Birth known throughout the entire present-day world?
View Quote

And that is pertinent to this conversation how exactly?  Christianity is a successful religion.  There have been others.

I would think that you would hope that [b]Jesus[/b] was the 'real deal.'

I [u]know[/u] that He is THE real deal!

View Quote

No, sorry Eric but you don't know.  You believe.  You simply don't understand the distinction.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I think great changes will occur during my lifetime, but I don't think it will end.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I never saw an actual weapon in action here, but somehow this thread has been hijacked.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#44]
What was the gun Jesus used when he threw the money-lenders out of the temple?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What was the gun Jesus used when he threw the money-lenders out of the temple?
View Quote

Had to be an Uzi or Galil.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Doesn't the Mayan calendar predict the end to be in 2012?
View Quote

Yes. Dec 23rd of that year to be exact. I think they predicted more of a catastrophe at the hands of our own inventions IIRC.

As for TEOTWAWKI, no one will know it is coming because it will start with us being hit by some large chunks of cosmic debris. People will grasp at anything to survive and this is what will start it all. At least that is my interpretation based on Revelations, science, history and cosmology. Make of it what you will. Good advice is to be prepared--in many ways.

As for Christ, he did do things intentionally to fulfill the prophecies of his arrival. Says so in several places in the Bible.

A point:::Perhaps TEOTWAWKI has already come and gone. Perhaps we are in the hundred year period after the millenium. After all, wasn't Hitler as close to fitting the Antichrist as anyone on earth has ever been. According to Revelations we could be in the second ressurection and would not have knowledge the TEOTWAWKI had ocurred. No way to prove it. Just a thought that has ocurred to me in my limited studies of eskatology.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I have thought of that to.  What if we are living after what some would have called the end of the world as they knew it.  What if we are in a new world and are to blind to see it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#48]
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~gnanagas/TheMatrix.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh why, oh why didn't I take the Blue pill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top