Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/18/2016 12:14:20 PM EDT

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/10/18/156234/americans-work-25-more-than-europeans-study-finds

Americans Work 25% More Than Europeans, Study Finds

Americans are addicted to their jobs. U.S. workers not only put in more hours than workers do almost anywhere else. They're also increasingly retiring later and taking fewer vacation days, reports Bloomberg. From the article:

A new study tries to measure precisely how much more Americans work than Europeans do overall. The answer: The average person in Europe works 19 percent less than the average person in the U.S. That's about 258 fewer hours per year, or about an hour less each weekday. Another way to look at it: U.S. workers put in almost 25 percent more hours than Europeans. Hours worked vary a lot by country, according to the unpublished working paper by economists Alexander Bick of Arizona State University, Bettina Bruggemann of McMaster University in Ontario, and Nicola Fuchs-Schundeln of Goethe University Frankfurt. Swiss work habits are most similar to Americans', while Italians are the least likely to be at work, putting in 29 percent fewer hours per year than Americans do.

--> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-18/americans-work-25-more-than-europeans-study-finds

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As bad as things are getting here, we're in a hell of lot better shape than Europe.

Europe is the US, except with Marxism a few decades further along and illegal immigrants that want to kill people.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wait until they start taking the entire month of Ramadan off. That gap is sure to widen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
We have to work 25% more than Europe so our tax dollars can go to support European defense so they can pay for their lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish we had 20 days minimum of vacation here. :(
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My cousin married an Australian. She told me he was upset because when he started his new job he only gets 6 weeks vacation after his first year...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
9:30 p.m. in Europe but I'm in before any Euro members?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Eurofags are lazy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
In before people brag about how they work the most hours.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have to work 25% more than Europe so our tax dollars can go to support European defense so they can pay for their lifestyle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
We work 20% longer days without the myriad of Bank Holidays as our UK counterparts. If I have headcount available I always look at the US to open against before the UK. We simply work more over here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I still think that commercial is stupid. The dumpy looking electric Cadillac was a letdown. Should have been a Ferrari or something sitting there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Irish friends always gloat about how fewer hours they work other the course of the year.

Yet bitch at us Americans because of the 'lavish lifestyle' we live in comparison to them and the rest of the world.

Eat it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We work 20% longer days without the myriad of Bank Holidays as our UK counterparts. If I have headcount available I always look at the US to open against before the UK. We simply work more over here.
View Quote

We also produce more.  Way more, including the military force that allows Europe (and lots of Asia) to keep fucking around.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, maybe 45% of Americans work 25% more than Europeans.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
We're also a hell of a lot more than 25% more productive too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the price I pay for living in a house, owning guns and driving a car, as opposed to a micro apartment with a roommate, and taking a bus.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Not me.  Not today.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I work 25% more hours than the Americans who work 25% more hours than Europeans.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually work 40-50 hours a week as salary.  Pretty sweet gig if you ask me
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
You know what that means don't you?

Yup. We're a bunch of suckers!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

exactly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Just another category we win at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
50% more for me
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Globalism...

Fuck.That.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, maybe 45% of Americans work 25% more than Europeans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#27]
How many Europian nations have 4 day or less work weeks?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]
There are elements of the European lifestyle that are easy to like once enjoyed. I don't mind being productive. I do mind that I see so comparatively little of my productivity.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't take much vacation.

I don't want my boss to find out that the company runs fine with or without me.  I tend to the the most days off around Thanksgiving and Christmas when we're at our slowest.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]
This is not something to be proud of people..

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

exactly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

nailed it. . . . but that gravy train could be over if we have another global financial crisis and/or new leadership
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

When a US employee visits our branches in Germany, they get a hell of a surprise.  Assuming it isn't summer (when they have off for six weeks), everyone is gone by 4pm.  

Apparently, the US has a reputation since when they do visit, the germans dump work on them because they know "the Americans will do it."
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Those who work less take more subsidies from those who work more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When a US employee visits our branches in Germany, they get a hell of a surprise.  Assuming it isn't summer (when they have off for six weeks), everyone is gone by 4pm.  

Apparently, the US has a reputation since when they do visit, the germans dump work on them because they know "the Americans will do it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that work we do and wages have been stagnant for the middle class for the last 2 decades..  

It simply isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Article should read "US should stop working as hard so that Europeans don't look so lazy."

ETA So what is the golden standard as to how many hours a person should work?  Who defines it?  Why is it automatically assumed that Europe "gets it" while Americans are being overworked?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wish we had 20 days minimum of vacation here. :(
View Quote

In France employees are hired in with 25 days of vacation by law.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#38]
My ex lives in Amsterdam now.  Her job is making her take 4 weeks of paid vacation
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, we know.  Didn't need a study.  Just ask any US manufacturer who's operation relies on Euro manufactured equipment.

Oh, you need a part for that Belgian LVD Strippit brake press?  Sorry we're on vacation until next month.

You need a part for that Italian Salvignini punch press?  Haha not in August sucker.

The DMG-Mori machining center you just bought that has more errors in it's firmware than a randomly accelerating Toyota?  You get one change to the code to try per day, since by time you try the one you got yesterday, ze Germans are going home for the afternoon.  You need a physical part?  6 weeks if you're lucky.

The million and a quarter dollar Okuma MCV you just installed?  Just don't even bother.  Japan has to think about it for a while.  They'll let you know if they think of a solution.

Holy fucking hell am I tired of dealing with those people.  It's accurate that the Swiss are most like us.  I love our Bystronic equipment, and their service is prompt as I can expect.  Toyoda is smart enough to handle everything domestically, including part inventory.  Other than that, that shiny piece of Eurotrash might seem like a good deal at IMTS/FabTech, but you're better off buying the American version, if there is one.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

We shouldn't be proud of working harder and being more productive?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the middle class that does this work has seen its income and investments value stagnant for two decades.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no one has ever made it to their death bed and laid there thinking, "damn, I wished I had spent more time at work instead of with my family."

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Which Europeans ? Germans are well known for hard working, we - Bulgarians are somewhere in the middle-bottom ,Greeks are masters of lazyness , I really admire them
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

Is it not chic to write "lol" in caselowere to the bourgeoisie américain

YES, YES! JACQUES!  BUT IT IS THE NOTHINGNESS OF EXISTENCE!

I am curious

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#45]
The government needs to fix this problem
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when work hours and productivity have been going up for decades while inflation-adjusted buying power of your wages has stayed the same or gone down in that time.

Americans don't work to get ahead, they work to survive and keep their jobs. Not an enviable position.

There is no carrot at the end of the stick for most.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Two different scenarios I can relate.
In the early 2000's while on a motorcycle trip out west I was approached by a German tourist who struck up a conversation about my BMW motorcycle.
Later he asked how much vacation time I received.
At that time it was three weeks but another guy,also a motorcyclist from North Carolina, only received two weeks.
At first the German was somewhat shocked we got so little and then in Teutonic fashion he exhorted smugly that we Americans work entirely too much of our lives away and all Germans as well as most Europeans get a minimum of six weeks vacation time.

Scenario number two.
My brother works for a plastics manufacturing company that was bought by a large French concern.
The top dog frogs were there walking through the plant and were conversing in a language that is similar to one spitting slush when they came upon the American plant manager and one of the top frogs exhorted in English in direct earshot of my brother that you can't get French citizens to work like this.
In other words everyone was busy and working their ass off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

no one has ever made it to their death bed and laid there thinking, "damn, I wished I had spent more time at work instead of with my family."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greeks would make the same argument.  Should we adopt their work ethic?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not when work hours and productivity have been going up for decades while inflation-adjusted buying power of your wages has stayed the same or gone down in that time.

Americans don't work to get ahead, they work to survive and keep their jobs. Not an enviable position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT is a fact.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top