Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 4:27:24 PM EDT
I have posted about this in the past.....

I am buying a couple of coehorn mortars and hardware kits from Hern Iron Works in Coeur d'Alene, ID.  One for my father for Christmas, one for me.  I certainly can't let him have all the fun.  

Incidentally, I spoke with Jack Weigman as listed on the site who is quite possibly one of the nicest people I have ever spoken to.

[url]http://www.hernironworks.com[/url]

In any case, the mortars some unvented, that is, no hole to put the wick.  Therefore, technically, they are not yet a firearm.

If I were to do something so silly as to vent the mortars, *poof*...its a firearm.  People have posted on this site regarding the legalites of manufacturing a firearm for oneself....I am looking for a refresher course.  This is a blackpowder muzzleloader...so it is in a different class than cartridge arms.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It's legal to have a wick hole for a black powder mortar/cannon.  What makes you think it isn't?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe we can trade? I happen to have a stack of mortar and cannon fuse holes in my shop right now!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, TECHNICALLY is not a cannon when I get it.  Its a cast iron canister.  I drill a hole...and poof...its a mortar...and I have suddenly made a firearm....or in this case...artillery.

I have seen threads about making ones own firearms....and remember certain details about it being okay as long as you dont sell it.  Wasnt sure if BP arms fell into this category.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
They sell them w/o the hole so they can LEGALLY say that they did not sell a working cannon to you.

If you drill the hole, all of the responsibility is in your hands.....But as you might guess, with todays "laws" they could easily be found liable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can fire this without rupturing it, just don't tell everyone that you have made artillery, or else the government will investigate it, and ban them, and then I can't make my potato canons, I mean, plumbing fixtures.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Black powder cannons as far as I know are legal to have everywhere (local laws may vary).
They are, however, NOT a firearm in ANY aspect of the word, just as a black powder pistol is not a firearm regulated by the ATF.

Exactly what use is a cannon without a way of fireing it anyway?

As DevilsAdvocate pointed out its a legal thing.  If you or they don't know what they are doing and you pack too much black powder into it and it becomes a large grenade and not a cannon they they can be held liable.

All in all you are totaly legal in drilling a hole in the thing.

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top