Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 8:01:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Warn 9.5si winch.
Rated cap: 9500 lbs, Plenty of power for an Amigo.
Hand held remote.
Holds 125 feet of 5/16 cable.
Unit weighs about 90 lbs.
This thing will almost snatch your Amigo vertical.

Goodrich Mud Terrains.
The Goodrich are some of the best tires I have ever bought.
Aggressive tread, but good wear on the street.
They don't tend to get mucked up and loose traction, and work well on rock also.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#2]
A winch isn't going to get you unstuck if you're in the middle of a muddy field by yourself.

Is your tow rope really a rope? I'd suggest replacing it with a tow strap. I will never ever tow/snatch someone with anything that has metal hooks on the end.

If you do get a winch, you'll likely wind up with an electric one. Hydraulic winches are quite expensive. (Electric one are too - plan on spending at least $750)

I'd buy better tires. BF Goodrich MT's wear very well, and are realtively quiet on the road considering their excellent offroad capabilities. I have them on my jeep that I drive to work every day - about 30 miles RT.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
For areas where you have no trees you can get a Winch Anchor to winch to. Also you want a winch thats rated at 2 to 3 times your vehicle weight to pull you out of mud holes.

Tires: Mud tires aren't particularly good on ice and light snow and such. BFG A/T's are good at ice and ok in the mud.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to do the 2 sets if wheels thing this fall myself.  I'll probably get a very mild tread pattern for the street and will be mounting Goodyear Wrangler MT-R's on a set of black steel wheels for off road use.  The only reason i'll be mounting the mud tires on seperate wheels is I drive 2000 miles per month on pavement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Super swampers are the best MUD tire, bare none.
A 9500lb. winch is overkill for an Amigo, unless you plan on mudding in really deep stuff.
Warn winches are the best, then Ramsey.
Also get a pull-pal, you'll need it when you go off by yourself and get stuck. Also, get the snatch block for the winch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
On a budget try on of these www.accessconnect.com/hilift
Every 4x4 (that goes off road) needs a HILIFT jack
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A winch is an excellent idea. Even if you don't go to the woods there are plenty of opportunities to to pull yourself or others free during the winter. I've used my winch to pull others out much more then I've used it for myself. I have a 6000lb Warn and it is plenty for what I do. I agree with the BF Goodrich MT guys. They are probably the most popular off road tires you'll see at the OHV areas.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
if you get a winch make it removable. mount trailer type recievers in the front and rear of your truck. then you can "plug" the winch into the front or the back.

i have a beautiful picture of what happens to the rear glass of your vehicle if you use a tow strap with a metal hook on the end of it. went right through the window when the strap broke. almost hit me in the back of the head. use looped ends instead.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Get ProComp tires, they are much better than BFG, and BFG is owned by the French.

I also agree with the removable winch.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/

They usually have a buy 3, get one free deal on tires/wheels.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Go for BFG A/Ts for light mud/on road snow tires, and M/Ts for heavy duty muddin'.  Pro Comp's customer service SUCKS BIG TIME.  I had to run a claim against them for shipping the wrong lift kit, and ended up having to handle it thru the credit card company.  I would drive in mud with baldies before I spend a NICKEL with Pro Comp.  
 A 9500lb wihc will lift the Amigo straight up.  And part-time 4x4 is FAR superior to AWD in anything slick.  Just get used to understeer when on the power. Have fun, half the idea of a 4x4 is to go places where sane people don't.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The front & BACK receivers come in veeery handy when you need to pull yourself back uphill, no?

The pull-pal is also a great thing for tree-less areas.  Would it even help to a lesser degree in snow or mud?

Nobody mentioned a high-lift jack.  When I get another 4-wheeler, I will buy one.

Also, a shovel comes in very handy.  I used mine a lot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
snow or mud?

Nobody mentioned a high-lift jack.
View Quote

Uhm, check again:

[b]RAMMUNITION wrote at 6/15/2003 2:55:56 PM:[/b]
[i]
On a budget try on of these [url]www.accessconnect.com/hilift[/url]
Every 4x4 (that goes off road) needs a HILIFT jack [/i]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top