Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 11:44:00 PM EDT
I am looking to build a gun safe.  It doesn't have to be very fancy.  I have welding experience in arc, gas, MIG, TIG and also some machining experience.  Is it worth it to build one or is it just better to buy one($250 or less).  The two main reasons I'm getting a safe is:

1.  To put my roommates parents at ease(they are extremelly opposed to guns)

2.  And to have a secure place to store my firearms.

The hieght can be as tall as 60"-70"
but the depth can only be 22"

Thanks for any help
Fidel
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
See if you can get a piece of 20or 24 inch pipe at the salvage yard and weld a top and bottom to it. Burn a door in the side the size you like, weld on a full length hinge, add a covered hasp and carpeting your done.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My vote is: DO IT.

Take pics, post 'em here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Some manufacturers use drywall as a form of fire resistant insulation (NOTHING is fire proof, just resistant!) that might be something you want to consider as well.

Also, I don't know what type of locking mechanism you plan to use but you may want to use hinges which are not exposed.

Most safes use multiple bolts around the parameter of the door which makes removing the hinge(s) useless to a thief but if you are going to use a lock with only one or two bolts having hidden hinges would be an added security feature.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Sentry makes a very nice gun safe just the size you want. 17" deep, 21" wide, 60" high. Carpet lined with a shelf in the top, dial combination, hidden hinges and heavy locking lugs.

All that for $300.00. Model #R3920

Don't mean to highjack your thread, but it's in your price range and it's a pretty nice safe.

[url]http://www.sentrysafe.com/guns.cfm?[/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently got an industrial oven for the cost of hauling it away.I see these things all the time in used machinery flyers for not much money.It occured to me that they would make a nice safe.Put a padlock on and it would be reasonably secure.I`m using my oven for my business,its just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I am looking for the lockworks to build a gun safe too. I have looked all over the internet and have yet to find what I think I need. Anybody have a web site for me to go to?

My plan is for an inner box made of 1/8" plate with ties to an outer box of 1/4" plate. I will have about 2 inches between these boxes and the ties between them will keep them from deforming when I pour the void full of sand or concrete. I haven't decided yet on the filler. Sand would be lighter but concrete might keep more heat away. Still researching that part. The seal between the door and box is another question. All that can be engineered into the safe easily if I can find the door guts. I dont think I want a glass beam lockworks because the chances of a thief getting in is minimal anyway and if the safe is tampered with but not breached why should I have to call a locksmith out?

Any help will much appreciated. I'll share my info and take pictures when I get to this project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top