Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 5:17:53 PM EDT
Rent it. Good movie.

Best movie regarding the holocaust I've seen yet (Schindler's List being next in line). I liked it because it was attempted as a accurate protrayal of true evernts (unlike say Pearl Harbor or the Holocaust TV series).

Correctly showed the good and bad on all sides and much like "Saving Private Ryan" had a "You are here" feel to it. It is nice that the hero's and villain's did not have to be manufactured but were based upon the actual events of real individuals.

Of interests is the contrast between those who literally laid down to be shot and those who particpated in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. And the depiction of the uprising was far more accurate than the TV miniseries of the same topic.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I wondered about the pianist himself, how he was so dependent and seemed to desire only to be playing piano again on the radio.  He mostly reflected the horror and not the anger.  I'm not judging so much as realizing people act and survive for different reasons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second Steyr's recommendation - excellent movie.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
wasn't someone in that movie (actor) charged with child molesting?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, do check it out.

I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Adrian Brody (The main protagonist) and he is one of the best and non-elitist major motion picture actor/actresses I have ever had conversations with.

he is a stand up guy and really was great knowing him while on the set of Liberty Heights.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
wasn't someone in that movie (actor) charged with child molesting?
View Quote

Yes, Roman Polanski the director. In 1977 he was charged with drugging and raping a 13 year-old girl (the rape happen at Jack Nicholson's house), he plead guilty to unlawful intercourse with a minor. He then jumped bail and has not been back in the country, he now lives in France where this type of behavior is acceptable. France will not extradite him.

Roman Polanski was also married to Sharon Tate who was murdered by Manson gang in 1969.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=4]This is a must see movie.[/size=4]
Even though a child raper directed it, please see it.  Movies about important Historical occurrances made today are horribly inaccurate.  The Pianist is a rare exception.  Towards the end, when you see what the city of Warsaw, and the Ghetto in particular look like, rememeber that that is precisely how they appeared.  

Saving Private Ryan and The Pianist are like bookends to WWII.  See them both.  Then see them again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
After reading this I called the wife and had her pick it up.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought it was boring.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
At no point did the charcter do anything to directly challenge the opfor. The 3 chances he had to fight he did not...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rent it. Good movie.

Best movie regarding the holocaust I've seen yet (Schindler's List being next in line). I liked it because it was attempted as a accurate protrayal of true evernts (unlike say Pearl Harbor or the Holocaust TV series).

Correctly showed the good and bad on all sides and much like "Saving Private Ryan" had a "You are here" feel to it. It is nice that the hero's and villain's did not have to be manufactured but were based upon the actual events of real individuals.

Of interests is the contrast between those who literally laid down to be shot and those who particpated in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. And the depiction of the uprising was far more accurate than the TV miniseries of the same topic.

View Quote

Bubba, if you've got Schindler's List next in line then you're putting a miserable, lie filled, POS movie high on "Steyr's List". Spielberg so distorted the truth in that film that the book's author, who had been hired to co write the screenplay, pulled out and sued to have his name removed from any connection with the production.

G--Damned Sprilberg just had to play the game that so many Hollywood Jewish Liberals indulge in; making the Jews totally helpless victims.

Remember the scene at the end of the film, when the Jewish workers are crowded down on the floor of the factory, the SS guards  are up on the catwalks, on the  verge of shooting the Jews, and Schindler talks them out of it? You know why they REALLY laid down their rifles and left?  Because Schindler knew who he was dealing with, and had armed the Jews with G41 rifles, which were all being pointed at those Nazis.  The whole damned film is loaded with shit like that.

Someday somebody is going to make a Holocaust film about the Jews who fought, and not just in Warsaw. The three Beilsky brothers headed a Partisan group that drove the Krauts crazy for two years, and ultimately held off a German armored battalion that went to the forest to try and root them out. Dr. Nethaniel Atlas headed up another gtoup in Poland.

The man who wrote the anthem of the Jewish Partisans, Hirsch Glik, escaped three times from Nazi concentration camps, and was killed just days before the Russians liberated his part of Lithuania; but he died with a rifle in his hands, facing his enemies.

When the Jews who make films start telling the stories of these people, I'll accept them as my brothers. Till then, I consider them no better than traitors to the people they spring from.

Am Yisroel Chai (The People of Israel Live)

D'ahm Yisroel Noke'am (The Blood of Israel will be Avenged)
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but the thing I've always wondered about was why was Schindler the good guy for having Jews work in his factory, when on the other hand Jewish survivors or the descendants of dead Jews sued the beejeezus out of German companies who employed Jews.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rent it. Good movie.

View Quote

Bubba, if you've got Schindler's List next in line then you're putting a miserable, lie filled, POS movie high on "Steyr's List". Spielberg so distorted the truth in that film that the book's author, who had been hired to co write the screenplay, pulled out and sued to have his name removed from any connection with the production.

G--Damned Sprilberg just had to play the game that so many Hollywood Jewish Liberals indulge in; making the Jews totally helpless victims.

Remember the scene at the end of the film, when the Jewish workers are crowded down on the floor of the factory, the SS guards  are up on the catwalks, on the  verge of shooting the Jews, and Schindler talks them out of it? You know why they REALLY laid down their rifles and left?  Because Schindler knew who he was dealing with, and had armed the Jews with G41 rifles, which were all being pointed at those Nazis.  The whole damned film is loaded with shit like that.

Someday somebody is going to make a Holocaust film about the Jews who fought, and not just in Warsaw. The three Beilsky brothers headed a Partisan group that drove the Krauts crazy for two years, and ultimately held off a German armored battalion that went to the forest to try and root them out. Dr. Nethaniel Atlas headed up another gtoup in Poland.

The man who wrote the anthem of the Jewish Partisans, Hirsch Glik, escaped three times from Nazi concentration camps, and was killed just days before the Russians liberated his part of Lithuania; but he died with a rifle in his hands, facing his enemies.

When the Jews who make films start telling the stories of these people, I'll accept them as my brothers. Till then, I consider them no better than traitors to the people they spring from.

Am Yisroel Chai (The People of Israel Live)

D'ahm Yisroel Noke'am (The Blood of Israel will be Avenged)
View Quote

Schindlers List is next in line because the vast majority of films on this subject are mostly bullshit propoganda. At least Schindler's List got most of the uniforms right.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At no point did the charcter do anything to directly challenge the opfor. The 3 chances he had to fight he did not...
View Quote

Funny how true stories are often like that. When faced with situations most people DO NOT whip out a red cape and kick ass. Most people are simply fortunate if they happen to survive these situations.

If you want "action heros", watch the tv miniseries Holocaust. It is full of fictional jews who almost singlehandedly won the war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top