Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 9:11:19 PM EDT
It's 1am and I'm wide awake.  I just got done painting some trim in my house hoping I would get tired doing it.  I have to get up in 4 1/2 hours.  When I try to get out of bed I'm too tired to wake up.  I get up at the last minute and get to work by 7:00.  Around 8:30 I'll be so tired I need caffine or I will fall asleep.  Around 1:30 the same thing happens.  I'll get home around 5:00pm and be so tired that I have to take a nap.  I'll sleep until exactly 6:06pm when by body wakes me up.  But I'll still be tired and won't get up until 6:30pm.  I'll go to the gym around 9pm and yawn through my entire workout.  Then around 11pm when I should go to bed, I'm wide awake again.

How do I get myself back on a normal schedual?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, "need SLEEP", I glanced at it and thought it said, "need SHEEP".

Thought it going to be, well you know, sort of interesting!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank God I didn't type that.  There's already a Goatboy, we don't need a Sheepboy.

I'm going to try to get some sleep.  It's around 76 degrees right now and 100% humidity making it very uncomfortable.  It's rained everyday or every other day for the last 2 months.  I don't have my AC put in yet, I still have flannel sheets on the bed, and my bedroom window is painted shut.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Your Circadian Rhythm is off.  Try not to take any "sleeps aids".  When did this start?  Anything unusual, good or bad, happen that day?  My Circadian Rhythm got screwed up when I was 14.  It was severely messed up at 17. Have been on "sleep aids" ever since.  Try changing the nap time to workout time and vice-versa.  Working out that late will wake you up just like you had taken a few No-Doze.

TS
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You probably worked yourself into a frenzy with the painting... No Kidding, same thing happened last weekend. I painted the living room and ceiling and BOTH NIGHTS I didnt get to sleep until 3 AM... I was useless when Monday morning came-a-knocking
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The woman in your avatar has made you afraid to fall asleep. Change your avatar and your regular sleep patterns will return.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on how long it goes, but you'll become phase delayed if not careful.  If so, the best way to overcome it is to go to bed later every night until you can stop where you need to be on schedule.  It is difficult to do, however it capitalizes on the natural tendencies rather than fighting it by trying to phase advance, which is the opposite effect.  Also, bright light in the morning and darker at night, even melatonin has proven successful, however, as with all supplements, they're not regulated for safety or quality/contamination issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
WELCOME TO THE NIGHT CREW! [wave]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You probably worked yourself into a frenzy with the painting... No Kidding, same thing happened last weekend. I painted the living room and ceiling and BOTH NIGHTS I didnt get to sleep until 3 AM... I was useless when Monday morning came-a-knocking
View Quote

This has been going on for about 3 weeks now.  Last night at 11pm and 12am I was feeling wide awake, the best and most alert I had felt all day.  After 1am I finally started to get tired.

With my job I get every other Friday off, so at least a long weekend is coming and I will have 3 days where I won't have to worry about falling asleep at work.

I'm almost finished with the remodeling in my first house.  I also submitted an app to refinance.  This might have something to do with it.  Plus I have a lot of things on my mind right now.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The woman in your avatar has made you afraid to fall asleep. Change your avatar and your regular sleep patterns will return.
View Quote

My avatar is to remind those having women problems that they are actually lucky because they aren't stuck with her.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
... My weekly sleep pattern would make anyones mother cry, but everyone is different.

... I too, try to take a nap each day but not for more than 20 minutes. If I get into REM in nap time I'm screwed until I can get some real sleep time.

... Saving grace for me is that once a week I can sleep in late and that seems to reset my clock for another seven day cycle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to do what Orlaam says.  I work at night, so it is very easy and tempting for me to stay up during the day which will throw my sleep schedule off.  

If I were you, I would just stay up later every night and not try to sleep when I'm wide awake.  Eventually you will stay up until it's time to goto work, then when you get home from work that day you'll be so tired that you'll sleep at least a solid 8 hours, which will leave you refreshed the next day at work.  Then having spent all your energy during the next day by being wide awake, you'll be tired at night.  The most important thing is to keep a good sleep schedule and sleep a solid and continous 8 hours without waking up.  Once you have a good schedule set, avoid taking long naps; if you feel tired during the day take a 30 minute nap at the most and you will feel refreshed.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]Stop doing big fat lines of coke![/b]

[:P]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Remove sugars, caffeine, and other drugs from your diet. Bounced me right back into normal habits after years of staying up late.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Remove sugars, caffeine, and other drugs from your diet. Bounced me right back into normal habits after years of staying up late.
View Quote

So the quart of ice cream I ate last night probably didn't help?  I don't drink caffeine after I get home, so that's not it.  Other drugs aren't an issue with me either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you married? Girlfriend?

Heres what you do:

Tell the wife/GF you want to have sex with her, and right after, you would love to cuddle, and talk.

Once she starts talking, you'll fall right to sleep.

Hey, it works for me[wave]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need to do what Orlaam says.  I work at night, so it is very easy and tempting for me to stay up during the day which will throw my sleep schedule off.  

If I were you, I would just stay up later every night and not try to sleep when I'm wide awake.  Eventually you will stay up until it's time to goto work, then when you get home from work that day you'll be so tired that you'll sleep at least a solid 8 hours, which will leave you refreshed the next day at work.  Then having spent all your energy during the next day by being wide awake, you'll be tired at night.  The most important thing is to keep a good sleep schedule and sleep a solid and continous 8 hours without waking up.  Once you have a good schedule set, avoid taking long naps; if you feel tired during the day take a 30 minute nap at the most and you will feel refreshed.
View Quote

So I need to really miss a night of sleep to get me completely wore out to reset my sleep schedule.  

Question: If let's say I get back on track sleeping from 10:30 to 5:30, 7 hours, but one night a week I stay up 3am-4am.  Could this have caused my current situation and will it throw off my sleep schedule?  How important is waking up at a consistant time regardless of when I go sleep?  I've heard it's supposed to help a lot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you married? Girlfriend?

Heres what you do:

Tell the wife/GF you want to have sex with her, and right after, you would love to cuddle, and talk.

Once she starts talking, you'll fall right to sleep.

Hey, it works for me[wave]
View Quote

Hey, that's what I'm missing.  I've been single since the beginning of March.  I know what you are saying used to work for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Masturbation.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
From my research, it sounds like you definitely have a case of "Punkymox".  Sorry... the outcome will not be nice.  See earlier thread on this awful disease.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Masturbation.
View Quote

... NO!

... Never, you'll be doomed to a life of misery, ridicule, shame and pain. Not only that but you'll suffer eternal damnation in Hell!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Masturbation.
View Quote

... NO!

... Never, you'll be doomed to a life of misery, ridicule, shame and pain. Not only that but you'll suffer eternal damnation in Hell!
View Quote

[:D]

Wow, almost no one must get into Heaven.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
How about the juwana?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't exercise at night.  While you think it will make you tired and able to sleep, the opposite will occur.  Chemicals released in your body when you exercise will only stimulate you.  If possible, exercise after work or in the morning. Also, try to forego the nap.  Go to bed when you first get sleepy, but at a 'normal' time.  There are foods that will help you sleep and foods that will keep you awake, so watch your diet.

Most likely your sleep problems are related to your stress.  You aren't feeling depressed?  Wanting to sleep or the inability to sleep can be caused by depression.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So I need to really miss a night of sleep to get me completely wore out to reset my sleep schedule.  

Question: If let's say I get back on track sleeping from 10:30 to 5:30, 7 hours, but one night a week I stay up 3am-4am.  Could this have caused my current situation and will it throw off my sleep schedule?  How important is waking up at a consistant time regardless of when I go sleep?  I've heard it's supposed to help a lot.
View Quote

One night should not have caused this problem.  Everyone sleeps in once a week, well, almost everyone.  You really need to go to sleep later each night/morning until you reset your sleep-wake cycle, referred to as chronotherapy.  Staying up a whole night will most likely not work.  As far as staying on schedule with your sleeping, it is very important if you have problems, otherwise some latitude won't matter.  As others have remarked, avoid drinking or eating a lot, same goes for exercise or any meds that wake you up at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top