Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2003 11:29:48 AM EDT
I have full CAD Design and CNC machining capabilities. Anyone ever have an idea for a component or accessory that doesn't seem to exist? Things like sight mounts, light mounts, rings, risers, rails, adapters, muzzle breaks, even internal components? Nothing that would be illegal just trick components no one has made yet. Maybe something one piece that you now use 3 pieces to complete? Remember the shortest distance from point A to point B is a straight line. Typically the only reason for multiple pieces is adjustability. I'm just fishing for some ideas here. I can design and/or make ANYTHING. A lot of the fancy and pricy aftermarket items I've seen are simple machined parts. –RR
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like me...always looking for something new to fill open time in the cnc vmc's and wire edm's.

i think reed knight cornered the high end stuff. i do some design and build work for a couple of firearm aftermarket companies. you might consider contacting a few to see what new products they have up their sleeve and need sourcing for.

i will warn you, there's so much open machine time for the cnc lathes, mills, htc's, vmc's, etc. that pricing is very, very competitive.

i couldn't agree more with your assessment. many of today's high priced 'gizmo's' are brain dead machine tool work. good luck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW? Is the above campybob the same as the one that had the massive (infamous) flame wars with Zen?

Sorry to hijack...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
sounds like me...always looking for something new to fill open time in the cnc vmc's and wire edm's.

i think reed knight cornered the high end stuff. i do some design and build work for a couple of firearm aftermarket companies. you might consider contacting a few to see what new products they have up their sleeve and need sourcing for.

i will warn you, there's so much open machine time for the cnc lathes, mills, htc's, vmc's, etc. that pricing is very, very competitive.

i couldn't agree more with your assessment. many of today's high priced 'gizmo's' are brain dead machine tool work. good luck!
View Quote

Yeah, everyone's slow in my area too. A lot of the small job shops have been calling me begging for work. Actually, I'm not looking to create a business or big profits.... maybe just some ideas for trick components even if it's only for the rifle I put together. --RR
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
A phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a new, and totally scary bayonet for CQB.
Not just a thrusting point, but a large object with painful sharp things all over it.
One that hurts you from the side, top and bottom, as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
How about a bayonet that attaches to the light rail of a Glock?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
An sl8 mag release button with a slight extention so i can use the factory mag release with my g-36 clone.

ar mag would then need a slight notch cut in to them.

I have the cadd skills to draw it could send u a cadd file in a week or two, but i get 1 free.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
how about making bolt together AR lowers?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
-a small weaver rail that could attach to the bottom 1911 frame so you could attach a tack light or a utl-2, would require you t drill 2 small holes in the frame to screw down in to the rail.

-a small weaver rail that would attach (some how) to the top of the g-36 single optics bar so you could mount a eotec like the germans do.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a idea that I have had for awhile with no way to bring it to fruitation.

How about a knuckle guard for the bayonet.  It could be designed where you only have to remove one side of the grips.  Your designs are endless.  Lots of room to play here.

It would consist of a half-grip with a knuckle guard.

All there is left is to devise a way and/or supply the necessary mounting hardware and you would have a instant seller.  DIY knuckleguard kit.

I saw a US bayonet with this type setup sell on Ebay for $250+

Here is a picture:

[img]http://home.midsouth.rr.com/tduncan1/m72.jpg[/img]

The one in the picture is a cast but who needs cast when you have CNC =)

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
... I do!

... Gimme an estimate on 100 of the following please.

Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
Tolerance: +/-0.005" except for features of size (possible deviations allowed by prior approval only)
Finish: 63 RMS
Plating: None
Format: IGES, UG, CATIA or AutoCAD

... Use the mount in the photo on the bottom as a scale for estimating size, but I believe the envelope is 1.7" X 0.5" X 1.0" roughly.

[img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/AC2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/AC1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/Winston_Photos/ACOG_Surefire1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'VE GOT IT!

Design a [red][b]BEER CAN HOLDER[/b][/red] that mounts on the picatinny rail!

What could possibly be better?

CJ
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, I think a bayonet that its on a weaver rail or bipod mount would be a great insult to the anti-gun lobby.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what cha cookin winston, looks like a cool toy?
View Quote

... It's a mount for mounting a [b]Docter Optic[/b] to an [b]ACOG TA01-NSN[/b] site to a  backup CQB set-up.

... PS, did I ever thank you for the Beretta 92FS?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, I think a bayonet that its on a weaver rail or bipod mount would be a great insult to the anti-gun lobby.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. It would be legal since there is no bayonet lug. The best setup would be on a four rail gas block, so that it would be in the same position.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Something Ive always thought to make is this:

A vert grip with

a surefire on one side
a thumb shelf with a button with 'press and release' on/off, and 'press and slide forward (or back, or to either side)' to lock on, the surefire
a lazer on the other side
with a trigger/pressure switch for the lazer.
it would have all the batteries for the thing in the base and be set up to 'quick change' them.

It would sorta look like a double barreled phaserthing (it would have to be set up wide enough so that neither the laser nor the light interferes with the use of the bayo) and would connect via rail system.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
One idea I had was a barrel indexing gage/device for M-1 garands and M-1A/M-14 rifles.  Badger ordnance makes one that runs about $70 and is mostly an aluminum block with some machining done to it and some screws on it.  Holy cow!  The gage worked great but was way overpriced IMHO.

Another very expensive gage is the FAL locking shoulder gage that brownells sells.  

Other ideas for a handy machinist would be:

1.  Clip loader for M-1 garands.
2.  M-1 garand timing gage.
3.  M-1 garand gas cylinder gage.
4.  .223 and .30 cal muzzle wear gages.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. It would be legal since there is no bayonet lug. The best setup would be on a four rail gas block, so that it would be in the same position.
View Quote

Well I bet then the BATFE would simply say that the rails/mounts are a bayo lug, and then count as an evil feature.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually, Please make a nice Bayo that fits on a weaver rail.

Its the only hope people in Cali or NJ have of owning a bayo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about a new, and totally scary bayonet for CQB.
Not just a thrusting point, but a large object with painful sharp things all over it.
One that hurts you from the side, top and bottom, as well.
View Quote

Ya mean like an iron maiden?  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How about an AK style slant muzzle break for ARs.
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Rightning Rink!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I need a Picatinny sight rail for a Steyr SSG with 15 to 20 moa built in.  The top of the receiver is round; I'll have to measure the reciever at home.  Then I need an accessory rail with an 11mm dovetail that will install on the Picatinny rail.

Every single SSG owner in the world needs a [u]metal[/u] bottom plate, magazine, trigger assembly - but beware, this is a complicated part and I'm not sure 3-axis machining will work.

The other item that every SSG owner needs is a reasonably priced set of scope rings that will fit the double dovetail rail on the target rifle - Talley rings are $175 and Steyr rings are $280 - that's BS and someone should be able to take this market away from them.  [I believe the Talley rings only fit the SSG P2's with the single dovetail, but I'm not 100% sure.]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
A picatinny "scout" rail for an M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Look at you trying to get patent ideas the easy way [;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rightning Rink!
View Quote

... Ruck off, red  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How about a bayonet that attaches to the light rail of a Glock?
View Quote

LOL- I would buy one if it fit the HK compact- and it had a "Laser" in it.  It should be a switchblade design, so that you don't cut yourself when holstering or doing fancy twirling.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Other than the firing pins for the FNC, there are no readily available parts.

Any parts for the FNC.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is an idea:

How about an AR anti-slamfire/out of battery device. What this device would do is if the regular sear fails, it prevents the hammer from falling until the bolt locks into battery.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd like a stock screw for the 10/22 that mounts on a camera tripod.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Actually, all kidding aside.
I'd pay Big cash, for a quad-rail that would attach to the front end of a USGI M14 stock.
You'd have to also attach it to where the handguard slips on.
It possibly would be a replacement for the handguard.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
How about silencer baffles?  I am currently making ours one at a time on a lathe.  I'm pretty sure it would be legal for you to do them for us if we a signed contract with you.  Maybe a small lot of 100 to start out?

I'll get with my boss and check out the legalities.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
In addition to the prevously mentioned M1 timing blocks, gas cylinder gages, etc, How about a combnation muzzel wear AND throat erosion gage, in .30 cal and.22 cal? orion 7 has these type of gages in .30 cal, but, they're always sold out, have been for months, if you can make these,and sell them for a little less than they are, and have them in stock, you could sell all you want. Check out some of the m1 boards alot of people(myself included) would like to have a combo type gage, but supply is very short,price is kinda high, ($50.00) If you could make them for,say, $40.00 and they're accurate gages you won't have any problems getting rid of them...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I would really like to see a high strength aluminum trigger for the HK USP, especially the USP .45 pistol.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Dayummm.... didn't expect so much response and ideas. Give me a bit to digest all this. I'll comment to all as time permits.
--RR
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Forearm rail system (1913) with an Aimpoint/EOTech gooseneck for the MP5SD (might have to bolt together). Nobody is making a multi-rail system for SDs that I have seen yet, and the current mounting options for lights and sights really suck. Knight's failed to make these, and there would be a pretty good niche market for LE agencies who have SDs if the price weren't too expensive ($200-400 per unit). I am still trying to figure out how to get a PAQ or PEQ onto an SD in a fairly stable manner...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How about silencer baffles?  I am currently making ours one at a time on a lathe.  I'm pretty sure it would be legal for you to do them for us if we a signed contract with you.  Maybe a small lot of 100 to start out?

I'll get with my boss and check out the legalities.

Balming
View Quote

Dude, if your making THAT many baffles, you might as will buy your own CNC machine. My school just got three of em. You can buy one from a place like MSC ([url]www.mscdirect.com[/url]).
I just figure it would be cheaper for you if you make baffles like that than buying em by the thousands, and more efficient than doing em all manually.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
... I do!

... Gimme an estimate on 100 of the following please.

Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
Tolerance: +/-0.005" except for features of size (possible deviations allowed by prior approval only)
Finish: 63 RMS
Plating: None
Format: IGES, UG, CATIA or AutoCAD

... Use the mount in the photo on the bottom as a scale for estimating size, but I believe the envelope is 1.7" X 0.5" X 1.0" roughly.

[url]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/AC2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/AC1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/Winston_Photos/ACOG_Surefire1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

okay, this would be a prime candidate for a casting or as 2 pieces (ring and flange that fasten together). It can be done as a "hogout" though. Is the flange flat? Is the 3D rendering distorted or does the face of the flange have a slight radius? Also Let me know if it's possible to email the IGES file. I have Solid Edge or 2D autocad. --RR

[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How about an AR anti-slamfire/out of battery device. What this device would do is if the regular sear fails, it prevents the hammer from falling until the bolt locks into battery.
View Quote

I skimmed over this at first, Imbro.  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#44]
a sturdy five gallon gas can holder that will bolt on the side of a 4x4, the ones for sale currently are flimsy garbage. Made out of alum plate and such.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
How about scope covers that open like an iris.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]
[b]WOW? Is the above campybob the same as the one that had the massive (infamous) flame wars with Zen?[/b]

no fearless...that wasn't me. zen was a cool dude.

now, dthor (bowhunt) and hdr...that was me! lol!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Time for new glasses.  I read [b]...erotic[/b] machined components.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

... okay, this would be a prime candidate for a casting or as 2 pieces (ring and flange that fasten together). It can be done as a "hogout" though. Is the flange flat? Is the 3D rendering distorted or does the face of the flange have a slight radius? Also Let me know if it's possible to email the IGES file. I have Solid Edge or 2D autocad. --RR

View Quote

... I prefer a hogout. Keep in mind it's size is roughly only 1.7" x 1" x 0.5" thick.
I see you're in AZ, when I get home I can mail you a full scaled stereo-lithography nylon prototype.

... The upper surface is in fact flat. That pin is for re-zeroing.

... The "rendering" has the perspective feature off so its a true iso-view, and yes the leading edge does have a slight radius to match the footprint of the Doctor Optic perfectly. Most edges are all radiused. (something the specwargear.com guys couldn't achieve)

... Yes, I can export into an IGES file and e-mail the 3D para-solids file to you. No 2D here but I could make a drawing if you don't plan to write a cutterpath code to the solids model.

... Shouldn't be too big of a job for a CNC machining center. If you want gimme a quote for not only 100 but for 10 & 1000 as well. I really don't know what size of project you want to undertake.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rightning Rink!
View Quote

... Ruck off, red  [:D]
View Quote

ROR [lol]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

... I can design and/or make ANYTHING... –RR

View Quote

... Did you make any head way with your post here?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top