BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 6:20:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them take a package of mine from one side of the US and back again, so maybe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a knock off jersey from China.  It got into Fed Ex's hands in New York, then sent to Seattle, then back to China.  About 3 months after I got the shipping notice, I finally got the jersey.  Anything is possible with Fed Ex.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Your package is getting a world tour it looks like. All that for no extra charge. You're welcome
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
International shipments are strange with FedEx.

It never went to Anchorage, that was a scan of the documentation. Those scans are basically emails, but they show up as a scan at that location. Clearing customs ahead of the shipment actually arriving, basically.

Believe me, FedEx is not sending packages back and forth across the Pacific just for shits and giggles.

20 years with Express, I've learned a little.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The problem is I really have no way to verify if any of these scans were legit. I can almost believe where it was scanned both in and out, but Alaska and Taiwan both seem completely full of fuck. Also, the round trip to the Philippines before it went anywhere else seems a bit odd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your package is getting a world tour it looks like. All that for no extra charge. You're welcome

The problem is I really have no way to verify if any of these scans were legit. I can almost believe where it was scanned both in and out, but Alaska and Taiwan both seem completely full of fuck. Also, the round trip to the Philippines before it went anywhere else seems a bit odd.

Anchorage, Alaska is an international fuel stop for FedEx. The routing you're seeing there is normal, except for the Taiwan scans. There isn't enough aircraft on the planet to fly everybody's shipment on a nonstop, custom route, so the packages flow through distribution centers, just as you would see a domestic ground package do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, Anchorage is indeed the clearance hub for many Asian shipments but it showing a scan there doesn't necessarily mean that the package was ever actually in Anchorage.

It all has to do with customs and the documentation being cleared by customs. The clearance scans may be applied in Anchorage but the shipment never needs to be there.

Just understand that we are not flying any package back and forth between Asia and CONUS. It doesn't happen except in rare instances. Ain't no one got time or space for that expense.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent something to TX from KY last year via USPS.  It made a stop in AK along the way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update: Now it's showing as scanned in at Memphis, TN.

Apparently they just gave up on Taiwan.
View Quote

THAT'S actually the error.

It's Memphis, Taiwan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, what did you buy?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Reading isn't your thing, huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, what did you buy?

Reading isn't your thing, huh?

Nope.

I can't read
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:58:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Philippines to China, OK cool
China back to Philippines - WTF? There wasn't an arrival or departure scan here, so this may have been an error.
??? to Anchorage - Ok, Cool. Getting closer. I see an arrival, and a departure.
Anchorage to Taiwan - WTF? Again, no arrival or departure, so I'm not really buying it.
??? to Memphis - Arrival scan I can believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anchorage, Alaska is an international fuel stop for FedEx. The routing you're seeing there is normal, except for the Taiwan scans. There isn't enough aircraft on the planet to fly everybody's shipment on a nonstop, custom route, so the packages flow through distribution centers, just as you would see a domestic ground package do.

China back to Philippines - WTF? There wasn't an arrival or departure scan here, so this may have been an error.
Anchorage to Taiwan - WTF? Again, no arrival or departure, so I'm not really buying it.

As Leatherface said, the actual package isn't being shipped back and forth like that. It's actually not even possible for it to move back and forth that quickly because the flight schedule isn't set up that way.

I'm an aircraft mechanic for the company, I can't explain the intricacies or errors of the scans, but I'm very familiar with flight scheduling/ routing. That's a normal route for an international shipment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Package itself wasn't actually physically traveling to those places. It's customs scans between the locations / countries. Something may have been incorrect, missing.

Understand that anything not correct on an international shipment is by law considered to be smuggling. The paperwork has to be right, no matter what it is.

You are seeing "scans" on a tracking number that may have needed some minor correction or another. They show up as "scans" even though the package has not been to that location.

It's stupid and fucked up but FedEx has learned to comply with every dotted I and crossed T on these things. The fines for not doing so are considerable. And FedEx is assessed those fine, not the customer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:17:31 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're inclined to provide a tracking number, I can check with our customs agent in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I sent something to TX from KY last year via USPS.  It made a stop in AK along the way.
View Quote
We are a main Hub for both UPS and Fedex, not unusual

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...or did these idiots actually route my package to Alaska, then back across the Pacific again?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/tracking_zpssyxkcpve.png

The GF is sending me her best drawings so I can start selling prints.

This is not going entirely according to plan
View Quote

I've seen a package get to AK then go to Texas then to PA, WA and finally back up here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Some Chinese guy is going to love her prints.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Apparently they just gave up on Taiwan.
View Quote

Can't blame 'em on that one
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top