BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 2:53:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a long barreled Remington Targetmaster rifle with a scope.  I use CB Caps and they don't make any more noise than a pellet rifle.

Squirrels get my tomatoes out of my garden.  I will not share tomatoes with squirrels.

Sniper country at Old_Painless's place.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
CB Caps work good, will not cause to much collateral damage.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Run your stereo speakers into the space the rodents are in and crank up the heavy metal, leave it on, and on.....  Watch the hole from the outside and when they leave, go up and cover it up.  Worked for me with raccoons.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
rat traps have worked for me in the past.

I just bought a new house last fall, a few weeks ago I heard them up there.
I hit one in the ass with a .177 pellet and set some rat traps.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait until the lawn gnomes get in.  They will take care of your squirrel problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Will a pellet gun give a clean kill on a squirrel?  Had one zap himself when he knawed on my power line the other day.  What a mess...

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the Have-a-Heart live traps baited with peanut butter.

The little bastards almost fight each other to get in and get at the chunky peanut butter.  

It's better to get the trap one size too big rather than too small.  They seem to be less afraid of the larger openings.  Unfortunately, I found this out the hard way.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Will a pellet gun give a clean kill on a squirrel?  Had one zap himself when he knawed on my power line the other day.  What a mess...

GunLvr
View Quote

Yes indeedy. I'm sure most pellet guns are more potent than a .22 loaded with Aguila Colbri rounds.

A .22 CB pushes a 20 grain bullet at 375 fps, works out to about 6 foot/pounds of energy that easily kills squirrels. Pellet guns push pellets at least as heavy, probably much faster.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, the have-a-heart traps would probably work okay.  or you could just set a few snare or conibears out and kill em real good.

Of course, CB's would probaly be the simplest solution.  And quiet too!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Have-A-Heart traps, with peanut butter spread on crackers, wired to the trip plate inside. Squirrels go in, doors drop FAST when they touch the cracker. They can't get out or get at you with their teeth or claws.

Then, put dowels or sticks in each end, so that the hinged doors on each end don't swing open when you drop the trap, complete with squirrel, end down in a large garbage can filled with water, all the way into the can. Wait two minutes. Remove one dowel on bottom end. Drowned, dead squirrel drops out onto whatever or wherever you want. Put trap back in place and reset it.

Works like clockwork, and the local squirrel population soon notices that your yard and house are a deathtrap for them, esp. when you notice females dying in the traps, who are leaving nests untended. (Good- hope the little b@$&@*#$ back at the nest all die, very slowly...) Next customer?..... [:D]

I used to use BB guns against them, but our whiny antigun liberal tree hugger neighbors[noclue] complained- besides, BB guns are useless against squirrels- I've pumped shot after shot into them at close range, and the BBs either bounce off or are ignored. Squirrels are tough, clever adversaries. I hate them.

So, a phone call to the local Environmental Police (Yes, I do live in Stalinist MA...) gave me the above tip- and dispose of the little &%$$#@# properly...

I believe being cruel to animals is wrong, but I have no compunction about eradicating any squirrel that gets in my path. They are truly evil animals.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
One of those hot little pellet rifles that push a .177 pellet at 1000 FPS really should do the trick!

Or the .22 pellet rifle that hits 800 FPS...maybe even better!

I'd not hesitate to use CB caps in the attic, using my very trusty Marlin Golden 39A lever action.  That's almost silent with ORDINARY ammo.  With CB's, it should be nearly noiseless.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have-A-Heart traps, with peanut butter spread on crackers, wired to the trip plate inside. Squirrels go in, doors drop FAST when they touch the cracker. They can't get out or get at you with their teeth or claws.

Then, put dowels or sticks in each end, so that the hinged doors on each end don't swing open when you drop the trap, complete with squirrel, end down in a large garbage can filled with water, all the way into the can. Wait two minutes. Remove one dowel on bottom end. Drowned, dead squirrel drops out onto whatever or wherever you want. Put trap back in place and reset it.
View Quote

Think you're missing the meaning of the "Have-A-Heart" name of the trap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Think you're missing the meaning of the "Have-A-Heart" name of the trap.
View Quote

Unfortunately, it is a serious crime to move wildlife from one spot to another, such as away from your property, in MA. The local animal control officer and the Environmental Police said they don't deal with squirrels and to use the method I described. It's quick, and that is about as "Have-A-Heart" as I feel like being toward these little vermin who trash my gardens and attic repeatedly, even with repairs and proper fencing....
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Blowgun...silent and deadly hehehe.  Plus, it's a little more sport.  I got one of those 48" ones...it'll put a dart completely through and empty beer can...I used to demonstrate the power by shooting a dart into the paneling in the basement, and then handing a pair of plyers to my buddies to let them see how hard it was to pull back out. They were quite impressed hehehe.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A CCI 22 CB is listed on the 100 rnd pack as 26 grain bullet,and is what coon hunters use to knock coons out of the top of trees at 3:30 in the morning without waking up farmer john!

If you don't believe how quiet it is shoot one into a phone book,it won't cycle an auto so use a lever action or single shot!

It will toast a squirrel,and after they are gone use wire screen mesh to seal there hole up!
They can chew through another spot but they won't mess with the wire.

You can get a spiraling wire trap like used to catch crawdads or fish in,put corncob in and squirrel can squeeze in to get corn but can't get out!

Happy Hunting!    Bob [:D]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool! Have-A-Heart traps, where do you buy them? HOme Depot?
----
OT
Quoted:
View Quote

I have buddy whose son tried to feed some squirrels with his hand, the animal bit off the end of finger, and had to be surgically re-attached. The teeth on those critters are razor-sharp, and he had to go thru a new type of rabies treatment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cool! Have-A-Heart traps, where do you buy them? HOme Depot?
View Quote

Good question- I think I bought them at Spag's, a famed local dry goods store, but I don't know if they still carry them- I got them years ago. Try Wally World, or, preferably, a local sporting goods or hardware store?

I also got a chipmunk trap of the same type, but never managed to catch any chipmunks. The squirrel traps do, however, attract small skunks! [shock] Good thing about the small traps is that there is no room for the skunks to move around in to lift up their tails! We would just wait for them to get sleepy, then hit the latch with a long pole. The skunks would just waddle back into the forest....
----
OT
Quoted:
Have-A-Heart traps, with peanut butter spread on crackers, (snip)
I have buddy whose son tried to feed some squirrels with his hand, the animal bit off the end of finger, and had to be surgically re-attached. The teeth on those critters are razor-sharp, and he had to go thru a new type of rabies treatment.
View Quote

Squirrels...... Cockroaches with fur. Tree rats. They are not cute, they are bad news.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
The co-ops around Turdville here sell poison peanuts. Check around your area. If you can keep the little fuckers out for a few days your problem will be solved untill the next bunch move in. What you need is a couple of meanassed little kids with BB guns to take up the mission of terminating those tree rats. Pay the little savages $5 apiece bounty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Along with the mean-assed little kids you also need a female siamese cat.  She'll bring you the tails.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot one in the backyard with my old .22lr and only managed to hit it in the ass, and while it was jumping around on the branch, I went for the overkil with another shot, fell like a squirrel. And then, of course, my dog tried to eat the thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My hatred for squirrels knows no bounds.   I've killed them with cars, with knives, (thrown), with BB guns, and I'll kill them with firearms if it's legal to do so. (Not in my city limits, though.)

Those squirrels in the car insurance ad would be DEAD if they pulled that stunt in front of me, because it would never occur to me to swerve to AVOID a squirrel.   Instead,  I make a serious effort to run them over if I can do so without having to drive like an ass.   This means driving straight, because they'll change their minds as they run across the road, and when they change direction they run right under your tires.  Crunch. Point!

Once I nailed one with my big old Cadillac, and got it at the head only.  As I drove away, I observed in the rear view mirror that its head was stuck to the pavement and the back legs were spasming, throwing the entire back of the body up into the air, over and over.  But the front end was well stuck to the pavement,  and this was just a spasmodic reaction and the little shitbag was unquestionably dead already.    And this one was one that I hadn't even intended to hit.  It ran out and got under my tires when I was looking to the other side of the vehicle, so I didn't know it was there until I felt the bump.

Squirrels in attics should definitely be trapped, and then the idea of throwing the trap into a trash can full of water is a good one.  I'll make use of that idea if I ever need to.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#27]
What the crap!!!  You want to be the nice guy(with squirels) or the guy that beat the rat faced squirels?

Be a man step up and reclaim your home!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#30]
[img]http://users.htcomp.net/weis/sqtarget.jpg[/img]

[url=http://users.htcomp.net/weis/sayyourprayers.wav]Say your prayers critter[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I detest those rats with furry tails.  After they got into my mom's bird feeders, she declared war and so on the weekends (before I moved) I just sat outside with my .22 and pegged em. If you're gonna kill em, just shoot em, dont drown the little rats.  Drowning is truly one of the shittiest ways to go.
Quick and painless should be the order of the day!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I detest those rats with furry tails.  After they got into my mom's bird feeders, she declared war and so on the weekends (before I moved) I just sat outside with my .22 and pegged em. If you're gonna kill em, just shoot em, dont drown the little rats.  Drowning is truly one of the shittiest ways to go.
Quick and painless should be the order of the day!
View Quote

"Quick and painless" it is not, when I write out the mortgage, exterminator and carpentry checks on a house damaged by squirrels.... drowning the little buggers is, however, quick and clean. Squirrel removal-just add water![X]

NOTE: I have already tried the BB gun method- it takes up MANY HOURS of one's time. In MA, unsupervised kids with BB guns in a suburban environment (at least east of Worcester, going towd's Boston) is a big legal no-no, so I wouldn't hand a BB gun off to my kids for them to deal with the little &^$$#@$, for that reason alone.

As I said to the nutty liberal neighbor next door (who are straight out of the [URL=www.leftersons.com]Leftersons[/url][@:D][8P]), who looked utterly mortified when she saw me dumping out a sodden dead tree rat, "Tastes like chicken!" [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#34]
My neighbor upstate used a pellet gun from wal mart to good effect. They had one of those crossman revolver type pistols and one of the break action single shot rifles that push a pellet about 600-700 fps. They found that they needed the wadcutter type pellets since those actually stopped and killed the squirrels, while the pointed ones went straight through and the squirrels would just get away.

I think he went to using a .22 on them, and I plan on getting a few shorts or CBs for use on some of the pests we've had around.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Several years ago I had dozens of squirrels tearing up my yard. I call my state Dept of Wildlife and they suggested to get a live trap and drown the bastards in a garbage can of water. I rented a trap and got 12 in the first 2 days. Ended up buying a live trap at The Sportsmans Guide (I've seen the same trap at Lowe's). It took several years and around 80 kills to lower the population (1or 2 are ok). To maintain this level only requires doing in about 6 or so every spring.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#36]
If they are in the attic, and they are not all out...Try smoke...They hate it.

Smoke it up and wait outside. Also add TJ's one way door. Should help you finish this problem.

Squirrels, the other good meat!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#37]
2 words to remember...moth balls

They'll keep squirrels and bats out of your attic and cats off your vehicle. My grandmother had an old house and they put moth flakes in the attic to run the bats out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Those little suckers are driving me crazy too.  I'm trying to keep them out of a bird feeder.  In the last two weeks I've killed 12 of them and they just keep coming.  Weapon of choice is my daughters old youth model Marlin bolt gun with CCI CB's. I'd forgotten how tough they are.  Shot one this morning thru the lungs/heart and it ran quite a ways before giving it up. I've missed a few head shots so center of mass it is since I'm not meat hunting.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The little bastards almost fight each other to get in and get at the chunky peanut butter.  

It's better to get the trap one size too big rather than too small.  They seem to be less afraid of the larger openings.  Unfortunately, I found this out the hard way.
View Quote

So how exactly do these "live traps" kill the squirls? I don't get it.

-Killingmachine123
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So how exactly do these "live traps" kill the squirls? I don't get it.

-Killingmachine123
View Quote

You drop the trap in a garbage can of water and drown the bastards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#42]
[url=]www.cabelas.com[/url] 1-800-237-4444 or use the Cabela's Club number if you are a cardholder.

Havahart Humane Animal Trap 2

Item#: CD-22-0456

$32.99 + $6.95 S&H.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top