Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 11:05:56 AM EDT
This is a classic I'm sure many here have read.  Fantastic tales of hunters in Africa, SA and India.  Incredible courage and survival stories.  Hunting Leopards with spears, surviving a lion attack and killing it with a knife.  At 258 pages it's a quick read and has a little war history to go with it.  Author Peter Capstick almost kills a Cape Buffalo with a spear in the final story.  Too much brandy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
As I stated in another thread, Capstick is one of my favorite authors.  I've read everything he's written.

His early death was a great loss.  I wish he was still writing.

He was the true example of a writer that is actually so good you can't put the book down.  And I actually laugh out loud at some of his stories.

He, of course, advises that only sure way to stop a cape buffalo from charging.

Cut up his credit card.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
how did he die?  what of?

i just turned around one day and he was gone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Died of a heart attack at a fairly young age after retiring to Florida.

No doubt smoking those coffin nails didn't help much.

On a sad note, a few years before his death, some scumbags broke into his home in Florida and stole (among other things) his side-by-side .470 Nitro Express that he had carried all his career.

My favorite picture of him was the one on the jacket of "Death in the Long Grass" which showed him, covered in mud, sitting in the jungle, worn-out, with his rifle over his knees.  It was captioned, "Author, after a hard day at the office."
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
YEA, as soon as you said that i instantly remembered the picture.  

i remember him talking about stalking and being so tired when he sat down for lunch he was half way thru a sandwich before he realized he was holding two rounds of ammo between the index and middle fingers of his left hand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Since we're hijacking the heck out of nightstalker's thread....

The other night I was watching "Out of Africa" and saw that part where Robert Redford is shooting the lion. He was holding two rounds of ammo in his [u]right[/u] hand.  It galled me.

Capstick held them in his left hand so that when the rifle was broken open, he could load them with his left hand.

Just like Hollywood to [u]almost[/u] get it right.  But to be to lazy to actually ask someone that would know what they were talking about.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Capstick is great!  I've got a several of his books and after reading them I wanted to go to Africa and hunt the Big 5. Until I saw how much it would cost, DOH!  

I will hunt in Africa one day with my sons, I will...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
>>>>>    >>>>>>    >>>>>> (Signalling a turn)

What did you think of the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness"?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
>>>>>    >>>>>>    >>>>>> (Signalling a turn)

What did you think of the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness"?  
View Quote

Another case of "If I hadn't read Capstick's book about it first, it would have been okay."

But after the excellent book, the movie sucked.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top