Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 4:13:21 PM EDT
flipping through the channels and i se this is on in a couple of minutes on OLN. just an FYI, cause it might be something worth watching
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
8:00 eastern time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn Canucks.........

A big HOOAH to those National Guardsmen...

Pretty good performance so far.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just started getting OLN the other day when a new cable provider took over my town.

Great pro-gun channel-  I loved the American Shooter piece on the guy that owns Dillon reloading.  I couldn't believe the scenes with him using a Quad 50 and shooting down aerial drones.   That, and the machine gun equipped plane he owns, always thought that was illegal for civilians, but apparently not.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
hardly anyone is following through on their shots. they are jerking their heads up as soon as the pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it really matter at that point?

What I mean would this effect the POI in any way or just bad shooting form?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Army guys  too home the win with the Canadians right behind them.

Those Guardsmen did a great job barely losing to the USMC guys. The Army National Guard guys tore them up in shooting ability but they lost it on the last 3 mile run and distance estimation.

Great performance by all except.....

Those brits.... now could the ammo be that different that they could blame it on that? If it was how did the Canadians do so well? BS if you ask me I thought we had NATO standard ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Also! I swear one of those rifles that one of the spotters was using was stainless, I think some of those spotters were shooting their own stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear that thing was stainless.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the spotter from the 172nd (Team Alaska) had an AR-10T.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the spotter from the 172nd (Team Alaska) had an AR-10T.
View Quote

Awesome, it looked like an AR-10 to me too. What's up with this? I thought our guys shot standardized weapons and ammo? Maybe the sniper teams get a lot more slack.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Does it really matter at that point?

What I mean would this effect the POI in any way or just bad shooting form?
View Quote

bad follow through can throw your shot off. next time you are at the range try shooting, then pulling your head up right away.

looked like a stainless barrel to me.

a couple hours at the range the day before the competition started would have allowed the brits to zero their rifles for the new ammo. i think they just had a bad week, and were looking for something to blame it on. the canadians had their own ammo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you hit the nail on the head, sniper teams are given more leeway when choosing their weapons and gear. Thier units probably have more discretionary funds to play with also. It makes sense for a sniper team spotter to carry an AR-10T in 7.62mm because the sniper is also using 7.62mm in his weapon. Consolidate the ammo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking the same thing Kooter, I think the Brits were looking for something to blame.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing Kooter, I think the Brits were looking for something to blame.
View Quote

Actually snipers tend to stick with the same ammo consistently. Log books even note discrepancies between lot numbers. Switching to new ammo is easily enough to throw your entire game off at these distances.

A week of prep time is good enough for regular shooting, but not this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, what SA said.. I too found it weird that someone was shooting an AR-10... Which, AFAIK, is not in our TOE. The SR-25's, SPRs, ect, yes. I also thought some of the Remington 700's looked to be personal and not M-24's, but that may be a "different service" thing.
I loved how the 5th Grp guy shot with his can on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
i agree that different ammo is going to screw them up some. but they hosed it pretty bad. didn't they shoot poorly on the pistol parts of the competition. i don't think the ammo would have made a difference there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The AR10 may not be in the inventory, but the Knights Armament SR-25 was adopted by the Navy as the Mk11 Mod 0.

[img]http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/sr25/sr25-5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahhh that's probably what it was ^^^^^^

That one mag I noticed stuck out from the bottom of the mag well about 1-2 cms.

Nice info guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i agree that different ammo is going to screw them up some. but they hosed it pretty bad. didn't they shoot poorly on the pistol parts of the competition. i don't think the ammo would have made a difference there.
View Quote

Given the reputation of UK/SAS snipers I'd be inclined to believe they'd have performed much better under more familiar circumstances and ammo.

But I think being away from the "home field" combined with new foreign ammo was just enough to fuck everything along the domino chain including positive mental outlook.

I don't think they'd have won, but they definitely were pretty fucked from the start. It would probably be enough to throw most shooters game way off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't catch the shw, but hopefully they will re-run it later.  Consolidation of ammo or sticking to 7.62x51 isn't really a factor when dealing with snipers.  Their ammo comes through a different supply channel than the average soldier.  Some teams shoot 300 magnum or 338 Lapua magnum.  In 7.62x51, they use a heavier weight match round (173-175 grain?) instead of the standard 147 grain fodder.  Along with this change in supply channels, all the ammo they bring them would very likely come from the same lot.  This also builds confidence because the shooter knows the ammo he is using is consistent, and each round should perform the same as the other.  The difference between one production run varies, and it is recommended to re-zero when switching to another lot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Did anybody tape it?

The AR10T is in use with SF, at least in a limited sense.  I talked with some 20th Group guys at Camp Atterbury a few weeks ago who had two of the AR10Ts with them.  They were bought on open purchase, not through the supply system.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#21]
It was good but I didn't got to see all of it.  I hope they show it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top