Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2003 12:33:23 PM EDT
And it's ABOUT DAMN TIME! I'm completely against most government intervention in our lives, but this one is way overdue...

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030603/ap_on_go_ot/drivers_cell_phones_2[/url]

All I can say is that during my extensive daily commute (120 miles a day), nearly 100% of the time, the worst offending dumbass drivers are yacking on the phone while weaving in and out of traffic at 80mph.

I can't wait until they have a blanket ban on driving while using handheld phones.

Speaker phones? Fine.

Ear plugs with mic? Not great but much better.

Cradling your Nokia under your chin with one hand while trying to stuff your face with a Fillet of Fish in the other? I have fantasies about blowing your brains out by the side of the road.

Okay, that's a bit extreme, but I am really serious about my passionate hatred for these idiot drivers.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed.
They are dumbasses.
I have always believed that talking on a cell phone while driving should be a special endorsement on your license, like 18 Wheeler's or hand operated foot pedals.

The requirement would be taking a written test over the phone while taking a road test.
If you pass, you can talk on the phone while driving.
If not, you can't, and if you get caught talking without a license, you are shot on sight.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadAvatar.asp?sAccountUnq=14553[/img]

Merril
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Repression is an ugly thing... Tell us how you REALLY feel
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If cellphones are outlawed, only outlaws will have cellphones.

Kar(posting this from a T-Mobile PocketPC Phone while driving)98
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Merril_B, would you like the full-sized original picture? I know you're such a fan. I'll even pull it into Photoshop and cobb up an autograph for you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you could, please, I would be honored.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with regulation in this matter.

When we're on the road, your life is in MY hands, and my life is in YOUR hands.  We have to interact as a SOCIETY on the roads probably more than ANYWHERE else in our daily lives.  There need to be RULES and REGULATIONS to keep YOU and ME safe.  Just like the rules of a game.

Some people can talk on the phone and drive just fine, but so many cannot.  I saw a guy blaze into an intersection right next to me while I was stopped, because the light was red.  He glanced off of the front of a pickup, and luckily didn't hit anyone else.  If he were .5 seconds behind where he was, he would have broadsided that truck at about 45MPH.  Yapping on his phone, too damn busy to notice the red light.

My feelings go beyond just cell phones.  If something is distracting you from your task of driving safely, you need to either stop that activity, or stop driving.  

I saw a guy pull over on the shoulder talking on his phone once.  I wanted to stop and applaud that man.  One smart one in the lot.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, studies have shown that it doesn't matter how you talk, it just matters that you're talking.  It's the distraction of having your mind somewhere else other than on your driving.
Know what the #1 cause of auto accidents is?  Passengers.  For the exact same reason, people get gabbing and aren't watching.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually, studies have shown that it doesn't matter how you talk, it just matters that you're talking.  It's the distraction of having your mind somewhere else other than on your driving.
Know what the #1 cause of auto accidents is?  Passengers.  For the exact same reason, people get gabbing and aren't watching.
View Quote

probably very true, no doubt.  Everyone will be at least SOMEWHAT distracted by either a cellphone or a passenger.  

However, the problem with the phone which would make it more distracting (to most people) is that they have to concentrate not only on speaking to someone, but hearing someone, and keeping the handset to their ear so they can hear the person.  This is lessened with the headsets and hands free kit, but at best, it would be the same as having a passenger.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I also agree 100% with BD.
Not one life is worth whatever reason someone has for screwing a cellphone into thier ear while they're driving!
I work my ass off the way it is to keep alive while on my motorcycle - cell phone drivers have just made my job a lot harder...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
And no eating in your car, either. No drinking soda. No smoking. No changing radio stations. No talking to passengers next to you. No children in the back unless they are properly restrained and muzzled. No reading maps while driving. And absolutely no farding!

I love positions based on anecdotal evidence and personal opinion. Now how about some studies. You know, real evidence. The kind of thing we demand when debating gun rights.

[b]Distracted drivers pose safety hazard, according to new UNC Highway Safety Research Center study[/b]

The study found that drivers were most often distracted by something outside their vehicle (29.4 percent) followed by adjusting a radio or CD player (11.4 percent). Other distractions included talking with other occupants (10.9 percent), adjusting vehicle or climate controls (2.8 percent), eating or drinking (1.7 percent), [b]cell-phone use (1.5 percent)[/b] and smoking (0.9 percent).

In other words: Cell phone use: The 'Assault Weapons' equivalent in the world of distracted driving.

[url]http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/pressrelease/distraction.htm[/url]

[b]Cell Phones: Hands-Free Not Risk-Free[/b]

Study says use of phones while driving cuts attention, response time.

[url]http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=511476[/url]

[b]Lost in Thought[/b]

[url]http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=507661[/url]

[b]Study: All cell phones distract drivers[/b]

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/08/16/cell.phone.driving/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you could, please, I would be honored.
View Quote

[img]http://www.vibeplanet.com/images/ar15/BenD.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The AAA Foundation of Traffic Safety has released the results of a new study in which the group analyzed 26,000 traffic accidents to determine what factors contributed to those accidents. Among the top causes were:

outside objects, persons, or events (19.7% of accidents surveyed)
eating and drinking in the car (18.8%)
adjusting the radio, cassette, or CD player (11.4%)
distractions caused by other occupants in the vehicle (9.4%).
moving objects in the vehicle (3.2 %)
[b]using or dialing on a cell phone (1.5%)[/b]
using other devices in vehicle (1.4%)
adjusting climate controls (1.2%)
and smoking-related distractions (1.2%).

[rolleyes]

edited - bastiat beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So my Nokia will soon be considered a Preban?? Yeaaa...

[chainsawkill] [slap]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I like this.  I hope the police will still be able to respond to their radios without stopping on the side of the road.  CB's goin' too?  "officer, I was just makin'g a 911 call."

I see darker window tints getting even more popular.

Don't see how they will ever control hands-free phones.  Just because your lips are movin' don't mean you're talkin' on the phone.

Nope, feel good about it if you want but it's JUST LIKE any other nanny state law.....bad law.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Bastiat,  You're right.  Anything that distracts you is bad.  Subject to regulation?  Maybe not.  Should you get a citation for driving dangerously or causing a collision as a result of any of those distractions? YES.

When you're driving, your number 1 task is DRIVING.  

When I drive in traffic, if I look around, I'll see MANY more people talking on cellphones, than people eating, or reading something.  Don't get me wrong, I've seen all of that, and it's ALL bad.  Of course, I do see lots of people talking to passengers.  I've almost been clobbered by Mrs SoccorMom yapping with her friend, Mrs SoccorMommie in the passenger seat.  The level of distraction will widely vary from person to person.

Also consider the length of the distraction.  Changing a radio station or clicking to the next track on the CD player?  .5 seconds.  Conversation on the cellphone?  I've seen people yap on the phone for 30 minutes going up a freeway before.  Talking to a passenger could take most of the duration of the current travel, true, but the level of the converstation could affect it.  

There are many variables, but do you want to gamble with your life?  Someone elses?

It is a sticky subject, but like I mentioned, it's where we interact as a society the most.  Like it or not, it needs rules for the sake of everyone's safety.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I am just ranting about my own personal experience, which for the most part has corobborated the statistics. People who fly down the highway while yacking on a handheld are dangerous. Period. Changing lanes without looking. Accelerating or slamming on their brakes for no good reason. Swerving the wheel as they adjust their neck hold.

They are a menace.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]
NEWS FLASH.....

THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENTS IS...

DRIVING.  

Ban driving...for the children.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadAvatar.asp?sAccountUnq=14553[/img]

I dont like your mug either. It taints your posts to where I dont even read them. Just thought you might like to know.

oh yea..cell phones and driving is bad
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am just ranting about my own personal experience, which for the most part has corobborated the statistics. People who fly down the highway while yacking on a handheld are dangerous. Period. Changing lanes without looking. Accelerating or slamming on their brakes for no good reason. Swerving the wheel as they adjust their neck hold.

They are a menace.
View Quote

I can't tell how many times those morons have ticked me off, too.  I've never gotten behind someone doing 40mph in a 60mph zone because they were smoking/changing radio stations/talking to passengers/etc - maybe because they were REALLY old - but that's another thread.  For some reason SOME people can't talk on a phone and drive - they don't notice they're doing AT LEAST 20mph less than everyone else - which is just as dangerous as speeding in some cases.  They do unexpected manuevers - like stopping way early (like approaching a line of cars at a red light - they brake hard enough to stop 30 ft behind the car in front of them).  Or slamming on their brakes to make a turn without using their blinker on a major hwy (blinker hand was holding the cellphone).  Just about everytime I'm thinking WTH is this person's problem, I notice the cellphone glued to it's head!
Recently I got behind someone that I suspected was on a phone - I was actually wrong - the idiot was reading the newpaper (55mph zone).
[/rant]
CR
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I drive in traffic, if I look around, I'll see MANY more people talking on cellphones, than people eating, or reading something.
View Quote

Shouldn't you be paying attention to your driving instead of checking what other people are doing?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am just ranting about my own personal experience, which for the most part has corobborated the statistics.
View Quote

Quoted:
The AAA Foundation of Traffic Safety has released the results of a new study in which the group analyzed 26,000 traffic accidents to determine what factors contributed to those accidents. Among the top causes were:

outside objects, persons, or events (19.7% of accidents surveyed)
eating and drinking in the car (18.8%)
adjusting the radio, cassette, or CD player (11.4%)
distractions caused by other occupants in the vehicle (9.4%).
moving objects in the vehicle (3.2 %)
[b]using or dialing on a cell phone (1.5%)[/b]
View Quote

Exactly how do you consider 1.5% of auto accidents corroborating evidence?

I like Bastiat's quote:
In other words: Cell phone use: The 'Assault Weapons' equivalent in the world of distracted driving.
View Quote

It's more about 'feeling' than anything.  Just like banning AWs beacause they scare some people.  Instead of punishing those that allowed themselves to be distracted to the point they cause an accident, let's punish those that 'might' have a disposition to causing an accident this way we're all 'safer.'
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't care either way, because I'll still do it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can't tell how many times those morons have ticked me off, too.  I've never gotten behind someone doing 40mph in a 60mph zone because they were smoking/changing radio stations/talking to passengers/etc - maybe because they were REALLY old - but that's another thread.  For some reason SOME people can't talk on a phone and drive - they don't notice they're doing AT LEAST 20mph less than everyone else - which is just as dangerous as speeding in some cases.  They do unexpected manuevers - like stopping way early (like approaching a line of cars at a red light - they brake hard enough to stop 30 ft behind the car in front of them).  Or slamming on their brakes to make a turn without using their blinker on a major hwy (blinker hand was holding the cellphone).  Just about everytime I'm thinking WTH is this person's problem, I notice the cellphone glued to it's head!
Recently I got behind someone that I suspected was on a phone - I was actually wrong - the idiot was reading the newpaper (55mph zone).
[/rant]
CR
View Quote

I don't usually have a problem with phone users speeding, but rather driving too slow.  I figure there is a connection from their hand to their right foot such that when they raise their hand to talk on the phone, it pulls their foot off the accelerator.  And women are generally the worst.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Just another example of the "nannyfication" of America.  

Why don't you guys in favor of this just push your nuts between your legs, zip up your skirt, and slide into those 3" pumps.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
If I have a really important phone call I will get in the right lane and slow down.  This is because I want to focus on the phone call more and being in the right lane following someone is a lot easier.  If it's not that important I'm usually in the left lane doing 10 over.  If I'm not on the phone I'm usually doing about 20 over.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Cell Phone Ban = Dark Window Tint
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadAvatar.asp?sAccountUnq=14553[/url]

I dont like your mug either. It taints your posts to where I dont even read them. Just thought you might like to know.

oh yea..cell phones and driving is bad
View Quote

Which is why.... you read my post?

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
This is why we are screwed as a country. If you want to see why our freedoms are being eroded, look no further than this thread.

We have people here who will protest any gun control. We know 'assault weapons' are an insignificant factor in crime. The statistics back that up. They stand up for them because it's something they like.

But when it comes to something that's a pet peeve or that they 'feel' is bad, they'll revert to the same nanny line that it's just too dangerous. Screw freedom. Screw facts. Screw individual responsibility. Bring in the government, someone is doing something I don't like.

I posted stats and links that show cell phone use is less of a factor in accidents than assault weapons are in crime. But does that stop anyone? Nope, truth be damned, I don't like people using cell phones, because they're bad, because, well, I said they are!

People who used to have a lot of my respect have turned into nothing more than hypocrites when it's something they don't like. Ingore the truth, I'm on a friggin' crusade!

Maybe we do deserve all this government interference in our lives. Not because we can't handle our own freedom, but because we can't handle other people being free. Our lack of freedom today is nothing more than poetic justice, because people are always willing to defend the their own freedom while taking away the freedoms of others based on their own whims. One big daisy chain of tyranny.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are sounding like the Brady Bunch!!!!

Freedom comes with responsibility.  If drivers cannot talk and drive at the same time then they should stop it immediately or suffer the consequences of their actions, if anything does happen....
the same goes for eating, drinking, singing, talking to passengers, smoking, reading, changing the radio, rubbernecking, applying makeup, picking nose, daydreaming, [b]sex[/b], etc
As you can see it is ridiculous to make any law like this....leave it up to the person.  If a cop witnesses a person talking on a cell-phone and that person causes an accident, it is still that person's fault.  This kind of law is like the anti-gun laws.  It is a feel-good measure.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#32]
And just to draw more parallels to gun control...

Just like we say instead of banning guns, they should ban murder, there are already laws to cover this. It's called inattentive driving. Meaning if they can't talk and drive properly at the same time, they get a ticket. If they can, they should be allowed to drive. But that would mean we'd have to abandon our biases and apply our principles equally. Wouldn't that suck!

More 'do as I say, not as I do' activity...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#33]
i'd support a ban on government
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
[rant]Morons!  Ya look around in traffic, cry about "everybody" talking on cell phones, find out they cause fewer accidents than drinking a soda, and ya wanna ban 'em!! Ban KIDS! They cause more wrecks!!

JUST BECAUSE Y'ALL CAN'T WALK AND CHEW GUM AT THE SAME TIME, DON'T MEAN THE REST OF US CAN'T!!

ROAD NAZIS!  [;D]

AND, stay the hell outta the left lane! Some of us got places to go!! [snoopy]

[/rant]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Wouldn't it just be nice if people came to the sensible conclusion that driving a car is an intrinsically hazardous task which requires a certain amount of dedicated concentration, and is best done with minimal distractions, for the safety of themselves and of others?

I guess that's too much to ask, of SOME people, anyway.

Ever noticed that it wasn't until fairly recently that Japanese cars didn't come with cup holders in them?    Ever wondered why that was?   That's because the Japanese DRIVE when it's time to drive, and don't consider the car to be another game room or kitchen.   They're pretty focused on the task at hand, which is to safely navigate between .75 and 2 tons of rapidly moving metal, glass, and plastic safely across the land, while managing not to cause it to collide with any other object.

Here in America,  what distractions are available to the driver?   Let me count the ways...

Cell phone
Car stereo
Remote for car stereo
Controls for the trick hydraulics system
Extra gauges, levers, and knobs for various
racing applications, including a NO2 bottle
in some cases
One or more two way radios of any type
food
drink
visor-mounted TV set, and DVD or video tape player for same
Books, magazines, newspapers
Laptop computers
Palm pilots, etc.
Notepaper and pen
Other occupants of the vehicle, engaged in any of a broad variety of activities

The two worst things I've seen other drivers doing yet while driving:

Reading a book (Not a newspaper or a map, a NOVEL!)
Driving normally, but while wearing an oxygen mask!  (Speaking for my own opinion only, those who are dependent upon supplemental oxygen while driving should not be driving, period.)

I'm not sure that I like the idea of the DOT (or anybody) telling us we can't use cell phones while driving.   But I think that it wouldn't be too objectionable for the DOT to mandate that hands free kits be used if the phone is to be used while driving.

And then again, if the people driving were just smart enough to keep their driving distractions down to a manageable level, and know that when entering a busy traffic area it's time to put the phone down,   then that alone would be sufficient.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#37]
For those of you who pay attention to other drivers and whether or not they are on the phone- pay attention to the road!!!!
You are being distracted by looking into other cars, etc!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Bastiat just reaffirmed his position on my "Who could I trust to cover my 6" list.  Several more of you guys made it to the "Closet liberal" list.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Let's see now.  I burn over 6000 minutes a month on my T-Mobile PCS phone.  I have had bills upwards of 8000 minutes.  Most of my time is spent on the road.  In the 5.5 years that I have been on this job I have had exactly 0 accidents.  I have logged over 200,000 miles, most with phone calls up, for my present employer in that time.  I have had more close calls due to pure idiotic driving on the other guys' faults than because of my cell phone use.  

And for the record, I work for T-Mobile and spend a lot of time driving with calls up to test the system so that it stays working or so we can identify where we need to add/make changes to the system.  If I can't drive with a call up, system integrity will go down, and then customers will gripe about lousy service.  Just can't win, can I?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]
[b]Quoted:[/b]

[img]http://www.vibeplanet.com/images/ar15/BenD.jpg[/img]

Well, I guess since you showed me yours, i'll show you an autographed pic of me...

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/145384/blastweek1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I
B
T
L

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And for the record, I work for T-Mobile and spend a lot of time driving with calls up to test the system so that it stays working or so we can identify where we need to add/make changes to the system.
View Quote

I would appreciate some extra towers right here in East Texas, if it's not too much of a bother ;) It's really inconvenient to climb up to the widow's walk to make a phonecall.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I drive in traffic, if I look around, I'll see MANY more people talking on cellphones, than people eating, or reading something.
View Quote

Shouldn't you be paying attention to your driving instead of checking what other people are doing?
View Quote

Shouldn't you keep an eye on the traffic around you as part of good driving, or do you suggest drivers should ignore the other vehicles near them while they drive? [;D]

In the Australian state where I live it's a fineable offence to use a handheld phone while driving (hands free are ok), and an advertising campaign has been going about higher levels of distraction while using a phone and driving. There have been claims that using a phone (even hands free) has similar affects on people's concentration as DUI, but I can't locate any reliable studies to support that claim at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Shouldn't you keep an eye on the traffic around you as part of good driving,  [;D]
View Quote

I am, and I'm the first to drop the phone should I suddenly need two hands for driving.

Frankly, you people scare me. There's all this whining about how the evil liberals want to ban all those harmless cuddly guns, but cellphones are a MENACE! A danger to public safety! Ban cellphones! It's for the fucking children. More government regulations, yay!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Driving is near and dear to my heart (note my user name) and take it very seriously.  As a hobby and as a part-time profession.

I am tired of seeing drivers who (IMHO) should not even look at pictures of cars, let alone, operate one.

We afre turning into a nanny state where any behavior will get you cited.  I forget which state, I want to say NJ, to make it a crime for other activities in the car illegal.  These would be applying makeup, shaving, eating, drinking, etc.  What gets me about these laws is how redundant they are.  Most, if not all, states have in their Motor Vehicle Code prohibitions on "Inattention to Driving" and is a citeable offence.  Why is this law so infrequently cited and new, redundant laws inacted?  Feel good legislation.

Too many laws and too little enforcement.  Sure, cite the guy on his cell phone, but give the guy reading the newspaper a pass, because there is no law against reading behind the wheel.  Yeah, that's what we need.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I am about as hard-core libertarian as you can get and even *I* like cell phone bans in cars.

You're driving a CAR, not a phone booth!!!

And that AAA Traffic Safety study done by the AAA was just junk science.  IIRC, the way they came up with those statistics is by asking people after the accident why they were in the accident.  If the person fessed up and said to the nice police officer, "Well, gee, sir, I was just talking on my cell phone and got distracted," then that's what the AAA considered.

Other studies have been done where the researchers actually investigated traffic accidents and correlated the time the accident happened with the computer/billing records from the cell phone company.  Turns out the correlation for having an accident while driving is right up there around driving around with a .10% BAC.

Tom and Ray from Car Talk are anti-cell phone crusaders.  If you want to see some scientific study and not junk science from the AAA check out [url]http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Drive-Now/scientific-evidence.html[/url].

I don't want people driving drunk, nor do I want them driving with cell phones.  You may call it big-brotherish, but if you're on the road, you have the potential to endanger many more people than just yourself.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#47]
The most common problems I see with people talking on cell phones is that they don't notice other vehicles on the road.  Usually they will tailgate you, even if you're flying in the left lane, or are backed up right behind a line of cars.  Or they will sit in the left lane going 10 mph slower than others.

And probably the most dangerous, particularly for motorcyclists, is that cell phone users seem to have a hard time checking their blind spots when changing lanes.  It's just too much work to turn your head and shoulders AND keep the phone pressed to your ear to legitimately check your blind spot, so they don't do it.

A few times I have talked on a cell phone while driving and I notice my attention going away.  I've ALMOST made some dumb mistakes because I was distracted on the phone, and now if the phone rings and I have to answer it (usually iI let it go to voice mail), I'll pick it up and immediately tell the person to wait while I pull the car over to talk to them.

No conversation is worth my life, or the life of some innocent person on the road that I creamed because I just had to take a phone call.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't specifically endorse blanket banning the use of phones while driving, and I agree completely that there are pleanty of other things people do which cause them to have accidents, not just phones. I do endorse penalties for hand held phones, having to fuddle about with them while driving only adds to the distration. Hands free car kits are available for hand held phones if people need to take calls while driving and reduce the need to fiddle about with the phone.

I do endorse a blanket ban for everyone on learner and probationary licences, because these people have the least driving experience (I'm sure that people can name exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions, not the standard) and are liklely to be the most easily distracted. Combine distraction with a lack of experience and the problem only gets worse, never better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't want the government in my life anymore than minimally necessary. I'm not a closet liberal in the slightest.

However, just as you cannot legislate morality, you cannot legislate intelligence. This means that we have to plan for and accept the lowest possible common denominator - meaning, incredibly uncoordinated, stupid people will talk on cell phones, become distracted, drive in a more unsafe manner, and subsequently create more hazards to property and life on the roadways. Even if I am never hit by a cellphone idiot, my insurance rates are still affected overall.

I don't know where the line should be.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't think it should require a separate law...

Just

1) Nail a weaving-yacker for inattentive driving... At least in WI, thats a SERIOUSLY HUGE ($250-300) ticket, and half-way to a license suspension (6 points. If you pick up 12 points in a year, bye-bye drivers license).

2) Treat DWY (Driving While Yapping) as an 'automatic 100% at-fault' (kind of like a rear end collision) with regard to liability...

That should be enough to get most people to STFU and watch the road...

It's that whole enforce-the-laws-we-have (but then again, they never ticket the morons who drive 40mph on a 65mph freeway, either)... I don't care how old they are, if they can't drive with traffic, they don't belong on the freeway...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top