Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
However, just as you cannot legislate morality, you cannot legislate intelligence. This means that we have to plan for and accept the lowest possible common denominator
View Quote

Like they do with gun laws, right?  Reasonable restrictions are reasonable, afterall.  Those laws aren't on the books for people like us.  They are there to protect society from the stupid people.

Reckless driving is already a crime.  Negligence is too.  Legislating an action because the outcome has a minimal chance of being bad is bullshit liberalism.  Creating (or endorsing) more redundant laws is more of the same.

You really need to change your sig line.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Driver: Hello officer, was I doing something wrong?

PO: Sir, I saw that you were talking on a cell phone.

Driver: I wasn't.

PO: Are you sure?

Driver: Yes, I'm sure, I don't even own a cell phone.

PO: Hmm...Mind if I search your car?

[red][b]ITS JUST ANOTHER (CONVENIENT) REASON TO PULL PEOPLE OVER AND GET THEM INTO THE SYSTEM IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER w/o MAKING AN ILLEGAL STOP![/b][/red]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
This is an easy question, to ban or not to ban.  NO BAN!!!  Why make repetitive laws??  It costs more money, time, and gives cops one more reason to pull us over and try to search our vehicles (as stated above).  This is just another nanny law that is complete and utter [BS2]  It's the same reasons that the liberals use to ban guns.   I can't believe so many people on this board are for it!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I hear the argument that a handheld phone is more dangerous than a hands free.  Tell me why.  Is it because both hands are NOT on the wheel?
THIS IS BULLSHIT.
I always drive with ONE hand on the wheel, and the other on the shifter or resting on the console.
The real problem here is that people who get distracted should avoid distracting situations or be fined for wreckless driving.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya, I see assclowns every damm day doing stupid shit.  And of course there are those idiots doing stupid shit who aren't even on the phone!

These fckos forget what the hell they're doing, talking or driving.

The penalty for crashing and talking should be license gone for 1yr.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually, studies have shown that it doesn't matter how you talk, it just matters that you're talking.  It's the distraction of having your mind somewhere else other than on your driving.
Know what the #1 cause of auto accidents is?  Passengers.  For the exact same reason, people get gabbing and aren't watching.
View Quote

I totally agree; it is very obvious to me when I drive.  My GF has learned (and understands) that I may just stop talking at all when traffic gets heavy.  My driving is much sloppier when I'm trying to carry on a conversation, and I will stop the conversation if I feel that I cannot continue safely.

I don't like the idea of regulating the use of cell phones.  I think the problem is the driver, not the phone.  If they weren't gabbing on the phone, they would be putting on makeup, reading a book, taking a nap, etc.  They are, by nature, bad drivers, and the cell phone is just one easy way for that to manifest itself.  I think the consequences for causing an accident should be stricter, not just an increase in your insurance premium.

It's obvious that so many drivers out there aren't really afraid of having an accident.  They should be.  Let them lose their license if they cause a wreck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I do alot of driving.  I will say that although earlier in this thread I voiced support for cell phone bans, if police officers were willing to enforce "distracted driving" laws already on the books, there would be no need for cell phone bans.

Plus, I will admit, that living in New York State, which bans handheld phone while driving, no one pays attention to the law and I don't think it was very effective.  When the law first went into effect, very few people were still talking on cell phones, but now it seems the effect of the law has warn off and now people just ignore it.

Personally, I'd like to see traffic law enforcement changed.  I think 70-80% of traffic cops should be in unmarked cars and they should drive around looking for dangerous driving.  I don't think it's speeding that kills people, but innattention--weaving in your lane, cutting people off, etc..  I see this kind of crap all the time, but people don't worry about careless driving, just so long as they stay within speed limits, they have nothing to fear from the cops until they smash up their car.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm tired of nanny laws.  And that is what this will be, period.

You cannot keep passing laws because of the LCD in society.  If that keeps up everyone will be in a padded cell with a straight jacket just so they won't hurt anyone or themselves.  Or be a burden to healthcare, it takes money to deal with any type of accidents.

I have used a cell phone while driving.  One hand on the wheel, the other on the phone.  I know the exact location for each button and do not have to take my eyes off the road in order to dial or pick up.  I put the person on hold and drop the phone on the seat any time I need to make a sharp turn, even business contacts.

I personally know of three people who almost died and killed others while fiddling with their car radios, maybe we should ban those next.  Also, no air condition or heat controls, you should already be dressed for the weather.  No sunroofs or moonroofs, too much potential for a distraction.  Same with convertibles.

BTW, the speedlimit is around 70 so we should put a governor in every vehicle for 75 mph (my car has one, set at 105.5 mph by Ford).  A four door sedan and a pick up should be the only thing that people ever need, everything else will just endanger people or create too much pollution.

"You got that right. You see, according to Cockteau's plan, I'm the enemy because I like to think. I like to read, I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

I'm the kind of guy that could sit in a greasy spoon and wonder gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs or the side order of gravy fries. I want high cholesterol. I would eat bacon and butter and buckets of cheese. OK.

I want to smoke Cuban cigars the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-O all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why, because I might suddenly feel the need to. OK?

Pal, I've seen the future. Know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his pajamas, sipping a banana-broccoli shake, singing 'I'm the Oscar Meyer wiener'. You live up top, you live how he wants. Your other choice: come down here and maybe starve to death."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top