Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 5:28:51 AM EDT
Is it just me or is this the root of all evil?
The general populace's willingness to just accept all sorts of bullshit without question is baffling to me.
Other examples of this are "people are only human", "people make mistakes", "he tried his best", "it's not his fault".
In the era where personal responsiblity is non-existant, doesn't it fall to the rest of us to MAKE others take responsibility for themselves?
If someone steps on your toe, I would argue that you not only have the RIGHT to get pissed off, but the RESPONSIBILITY.  It's the "that's ok" attitude that leads people to not care that they stepped on yout toe, and to continue running around being an inconsiderate ass and stomping on other's toes.  In fact, they will very likely continue to stomp on YOUR toe because you told them it's ok.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's actually much worse than that.  Society is teaching everyone to become a bunch of wussies.  For example it's not "he tried his best" it's "everyone tried so everyone get's first place".  WTF is that.  You can try and fail miserably and still get first place.  Is that teaching people to try harder, improve, or even be responsible for there actions?  Absolutely not.  It's teaching everyone that it doesn't matter what you someone (ie. the government) will make everything right.

BTW, I like to use "Get over it" as in "You lost, stop your whining and get over it.  Do better if you don't like to be a loser".
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
BTW, I like to use "Get over it" as in "You lost, stop your whining and get over it.  Do better if you don't like to be a loser".
View Quote

I meant it more in the context of "yes, I'm a piece of shit that milks the system and takes advantage of immoral loopholes, get over it".

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I meant it more in the context of "yes, I'm a piece of shit that milks the system and takes advantage of immoral loopholes, get over it".

View Quote

Like the loopholes that let us buy AR's and high cap magazines?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Like the loopholes that let us buy AR's and high cap magazines?
View Quote

You're looking for loopholes in unconstitutional laws.  What I'm talking about it exploiting immoral laws like affirmative action.  Are you saying that "loopholes" in the assault weapons ban are immoral?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear 'get over it' a lot from the Baby Boomer generation whenever I criticize something about them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The general populace's willingness to just accept all sorts of bullshit without question is baffling to me.
Other examples of this are "people are only human", "people make mistakes", "he tried his best", "it's not his fault".
In the era where personal responsiblity is non-existant, doesn't it fall to the rest of us to MAKE others take responsibility for themselves?
If someone steps on your toe, I would argue that you not only have the RIGHT to get pissed off, but the RESPONSIBILITY.  It's the "that's ok" attitude that leads people to not care that they stepped on yout toe, and to continue running around being an inconsiderate ass and stomping on other's toes.  In fact, they will very likely continue to stomp on YOUR toe because you told them it's ok.
View Quote

My dad lives like this. He is angry most of the time. Why? Because there is nothing you can do about it. You can either tolerate it or hate everybody. BeerSlayer said it best.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because there is nothing you can do about it.  
View Quote

Add this to my list of quotes from the original post.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why?
View Quote

Because it's the exact same attitude that I'm talking about.  It's defeatist and shows that you've already given up and given in.
As long as you think there's nothing you can do about it, then there is nothing you can do about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why?
View Quote

Because it's the exact same attitude that I'm talking about.  It's defeatist and shows that you've already given up and given in.
As long as you think there's nothing you can do about it, then there is nothing you can do about it.
View Quote

What can be done about it Norman? I agree that "can't never could". But what can be done to reverse the trend you speak of?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, you have to decide for yourself what you want to do about it.
Personally I don't let people slide, and I don't expect them to let me slide.  If I fuck up I want to hear about it, and if you fuck up you can damn well expect me to tell you about it.  If you tell me "hey, no problem" or "that's ok", then I'm going to assume that you meant it and it really IS ok.

Remember that kid here that was crying because the range worker chewed his ass for bringing his gun into the range in what appeared to be a loaded condition?  I will guaran-damn-tee you that kid won't do that again.  If the range guy had just said "hey, no problem", I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the crybaby would have done it again and again until someone finally did yell at him, or shot him, one or the other.

I guess what I'm saying is that I do it two ways, I let people know when they fuck up, and if I fuck up and you don't tell me, then I'm going to continue to fuck up just to prove the point.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention.
View Quote

notice here the similarities of our attitudes, and the commonality of our siglines.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hear 'get over it' a lot from the Baby Boomer generation whenever I criticize something about them.
View Quote

get over it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

[:D] I hear old age can make you cranky. It's been my contention since I was about 13 or 14 that we have the BB's to thank for the society we have today. Their past "free love" "women's lib" flower power bullshit of the 60's is the root of affirmative action, NOW, and a whole shitload of other Social(ist) Programs that our tax dollars now pay for. Rememberm you can tell us to "get over it" all you want be WE pick your retirement homes. [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad lives like this. He is angry most of the time. Why? Because there is nothing you can do about it. You can either tolerate it or hate everybody. BeerSlayer said it best.
View Quote

Absolutely NOT true.

I am constantly annoyed by this crap, but you CAN do something about it.

While I may not be able to effect changes in legislation or social standards, I can be just as annoying to the people who annoy me.

If I don't approve of "their" lifestyle, it's a safe bet they don't approve of "mine." When they flaunt their values, I flaunt mine. When they piss me off, I piss them off.

And rather than be "angry most of the time" I'm usually in a good mood. Pissing off liberals, hippies and assholes will do that for you.

You want to be happy? I have a 12 step program for you.

1. Decide what is important to YOU.
2. Make sure YOUR values are just and correct.
3. Make sure YOUR values do not limit the constitutional freedoms of others.
4. Start living your life according to YOUR values.
5. Accept only those people who live by YOUR values.
6. Reject and avoid those who don't accept YOUR values.
7. Criticize and expose those who threaten YOUR values.
8. Remember they are allowed to have "their" values and beliefs but NOTHING says you have to accept them.
9. Defend and protect YOUR values from those who threaten them.
10. Stop caring if people don't aprove of YOUR values. You can be damn sure they don't give a crap if you don't like theirs.
11. Stop seeking "permission" from others to live according to YOUR values.
12. Realize that living in accordance to your values is the ONLY thing you can really control.

You cannot change the world, but you can change YOUR world.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why?
View Quote

View Quote

What can be done about it Norman? I agree that "can't never could". But what can be done to reverse the trend you speak of?
View Quote

You can change the world you live in.

Start with changing your own defeatest attitude. There is something you can do about it.

1. Don't accept it from yourself.
2. Don't accept it from others.
3. Don't vote for people with that attitude.
4. Don't hire people with that attitude.

Get the picture. No you can't be responsible for everybody else on the planet, but that doesn't mean you have to be like them.

If everybody was jumping off the Empire State Building...................
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Good post, norman.

My philosophy is not to sweat the small stuff. The only thing you should be concerned about is anything that you have control over. You can't control other people and what they do. You can only control you. If you dont worry about ANYTHING you'll be a lazy-assed bum. If you worry about everything you'll be stressed out 24/7/365
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I am not a jellyfish. I have morals and standards that I live by. I raise my kids the same way. I accept and agree with all the things SA and BVM posted. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1. Don't accept it from yourself.
View Quote

This is the key, but let me twist it a little.
Go out of your way not to stomp on other people's toes.  Don't be that obnoxious prick that you always see.
Some common "prick like" behaviors that are relatively small:
1) Leaving your buggy in the middle of the grocery isle
2) Changing lanes violently and without turn signals
3) Letting a door slam closed in someone else's face
4) Running to get in line before someone else
5) Stealing a parking space someone else is obviously waiting for
and on, and on
Don't do this shit, and don't accept it from others.  These are basic, almost inconsequential things that are indicative of the attitude of the perpetrator; they can't be bothered enough to be considerate of others.
The way that I choose to handle things like this is what keeps me sane.  I will (in order) ram your buggy out of the way, run you off the road, smack you with the door, push you out of line, and put dents in your car with you watching.  No passive aggressive bullshit, no waiting for the person to leave their car and key it, no muttering under my breath.  Again, if you fuck up I will tell you that you fucked up.  This is what keeps me sane.  What makes me crazy is when I'm expected to bottle it up.  Letting it out and letting it out on the offender is what keeps my head from exploding.
I have the presence of mind and the common respect for everyone around me to not do those things, and I therefore have the luxury of criticising those that do.  Remember the "let he who is without sin" thing?  Well, I don't "sin", so I'm going to start chucking rocks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought you guys were talking about the Eagles song of that name...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I been right with you up until you said you don't sin Norm. Everybody sins at one time or other; whether intentional or accidental. We do something assnine or step on somebody's toes by accident cuz we get too wrapped up in our own lives to see whats goin on around us, even for just that one second it takes to ruin somebody elses day. Just walking up and saying, "scuze me, you were very rude just now. Did you not see there were 10 of us waiting in this line that you just hopped in the front of?" Saved me an assault charge, and won me the applause of the 10 peole I was waiting in line with at the bookstore. He honestly was so wrapped up in his own little world he didn't register that there was a line. Not wanting to ever utter the words "no your honor" ever again I went the high road and punked him none the less. Then I cut somebody off in traffic on the way home and didn't even realize it til I'm wonderin why this chick is fipping me off in my rear view. Careful with them rocks bro, sometimes they bounce back at ya.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
You're looking for loopholes in unconstitutional laws. What I'm talking about it exploiting immoral laws like affirmative action. Are you saying that "loopholes" in the assault weapons ban are immoral?
View Quote

There is no such thing as a "loophole", only the strict definition of a law as it is written.  I hate that term, "loophole", in law, they just don't exist.  You don't want a "loophole", then write the law "better".
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
whether intentional or accidental. We do something assnine or step on somebody's toes by accident cuz we get too wrapped up in our own lives to see whats goin on around us
View Quote

And this is exactly the point.  When people do this stupid shit because they're talking on a cell phone, or reading, or in two of the examples I listed it's often purely malicious shit.
I don't talk on the phone or read in the car, I don't go out of my way to snake someone else's spot.  You struck the nail on the head, people think they're so important that they just walk around with their heads up their asses.
I also live in a pretty crowded area right now, which tends to breed this type of malicious behavior.  People here will speed up to cut you off if you turn on your turn signal.  They're just as guilty as the assholes that don't signal at all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#28]
The real problem is that we tell everyone that it's not ok to be angry...to get pissed off...to hold grudges.

Bullshit!

Anger, agression, and plain old score settling happens to work pretty well in the real world.  

Often times, it's the measure between a winner and a loser.  

Oh, that's right, there are no losers anymore.  It's enough to just "try hard."
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I swear to christ, if I didn't like my current sigline so much, that would become my new one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you will have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon
them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
- Frederick Douglass
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, did you end up getting sued, because of the rear-end crash you were in?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So, did you end up getting sued, because of the rear-end crash you were in?
View Quote

You mean the one where the bitch didn't have any brake lights?  Thanks, you just made my case.
So after she sues me I'm supposed to just walk away and say "that's ok, people are people, so it's alright that you're an opportunistic piece of shit" huh?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You mean the one where the bitch didn't have any brake lights?  Thanks, you just made my case.
So after she sues me I'm supposed to just walk away and say "that's ok, people are people, so it's alright that you're an opportunistic piece of shit" huh?
View Quote

Look I think that was a rip, whether you got sued or not. But you ALSO have responsibility in that incident,

I was just wondering how your personal responsibilty fits into your post.

On a side note, I think revoked, suspended, or no DL people involved in crashes should always be at fault. You say it's not fair? How would they be in a crash if they were home, instead of on the road, where they don't belong?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I swear to christ, if I didn't like my current sigline so much, that would become my new one.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll do it for you.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Look I think that was a rip, whether you got sued or not. But you ALSO have responsibility in that incident,

I was just wondering how your personal responsibilty fits into your post.

On a side note, I think revoked, suspended, or no DL people involved in crashes should always be at fault. You say it's not fair? How would they be in a crash if they were home, instead of on the road, where they don't belong?
View Quote

Honestly, as much as I get tagged with the "asshole" term, I really am the world's biggest optomist.  I expect, no matter how much they prove me wrong, that people will live up to the standards I set for myself and them.  Because of that, I was following her at a distance sufficient to stop should I see brake lights, but evidently not at a distance sufficient to stop should she have no brake lights or turn signals.  So you're right, I bear some responsibility.  How ironic is it that my fault was expecting too much from people?

The only time I don't behave like this is when I'm riding my Harley.  I assume that everyone on the road is trying to kill me when I'm on the bike.  I suppose I could carry that attitude over to the rest of my life and never be dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top