Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 7:21:16 AM EDT
I am dickering with the notion of buying a used pickup for hauling crap...stuff for yardwork, furniture, etc.  Plus, it would be nice to have a second vehicle "just in case."

I am a bit wary of having optional 4wd due to the added complexity and thus detriment to reliability.  However, I think it might be handy to have in the wintertime with bad roads.

So, are my concerns unfounded?  Are trucks with optional 4wd more prone to problems?  If it does go out, I have a good feeling I'm in for some big bucks on repair...especially in relationship to what I want to pay for the truck...$2500-3500.  I am pretty sure I'll go with either a Toyota or Nissan.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's going to be difficult to find a reliable truck in that price range, even if you were looking at 2wds.  Anything down in that range, has major issues, and or the owner expects them shortly.

4wds are indeed prone to more failures, but are not doomed to have them.  It adds a whole mechanical system, and possible problems that accompany any mechanical system.  Consider the 4wd system like a transmission, it will last a long time with good service if properly maintained and not abused, if neglected or abused, all bets are off.  If what you are looking at has CV shafts, keep in mind that they are long wearing consumables.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
For what you described, I would HIGHLY recommend a 1980-1984 Toyota 4x4. I see them all thge time in that price range, may not look too good, but they work fine and the 4wd components are very tough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It's going to be difficult to find a reliable truck in that price range, even if you were looking at 2wds. Anything down in that range, has major issues, and or the owner expects them shortly.
View Quote

in western kentucky reliable older 2wd trucks can be bought all day long for half that amount. with a little bit of looking you should be able to find one that fits what you are looking for in that price range.

if possible get a truck that was owned by an older gentleman. they are usually the best taken care of, as opposed to one owned by a teenager. that in mind, stay away from a farm truck owned by an old guy, them farmers work their trucks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I suspect that you may have a different definition of reliable than I have.  I don't live in a high cost of living area, but still, any <$3,000 vehicle around here will still require an owner that knows how to and is willing to "turn a wrench".  The older I get, the less willing I am to spend time monkeying with my cars.

You know your local market conditions better than I do though...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
go with a Toyota 2 wheel drive.

simplicity is my watchword.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned nothing but 4x4s since 1984, never had any trouble out of any of them & I do some 4 wheeling.

As you said, get a Toyota or Nissan & you should be ok. Be sure to get one that hasn't either been lifted or had some big assed tires on it.

Synthetic gear oil would be a good bet too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Toyota or Nissan, like everyone says.  I am looking for a good reliable pick up truck too.  And I've been told time and time again, Toyota or Nissan.  Mostly Toyota, though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Toyo's and Nissan's are reliable but If it's a second auto I would look for a older full size p/up (GM,Ford,Dodge) Parts are cheap, available all over and usually easy to replace. Strong ass axles, T-cases and Tranny's. Plenty of roomm under the hood etc. No stronger drivetrains out there, then pre 90's American 4x4,s...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want toughness and reliability definately get the Toyota 4x4.  They have a somewhat weak but great 4cyl also, the 22r usually lasts forever.

I have a 4x4 Ranger.  No complaints, but if you get one w/ automatic hubs, you might as well switch to Warn hubs ($120) before you get stuck because your 4x4 hubs went out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd go for the Toyota.  

I've had my 88' Toyota 4 x 4 since 1988 when I got in new and never had any problems with it.  

If I ever get another vehicle I will probably get another toyota pickup.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
My 4x4 Ford Ranger is 10 years old, runs like a champ.
My Nissan was wonderful for 180,000 miles.
Toyota's are legendary
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I had 89 toyota 4x4 pickup drove it hard it had over 200,000 miles on it when i sold did not take very good care of it and never had a problem with the four wheel drive
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top