Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 6:50:43 AM EDT
Okay some of you know that I had a job near DC that didn't work out a few months ago. We signed a lease for the apartment for 6 months, paid all the deposits etc. Less than 24 hours aftersigning the lease I resigned from the company and unassed the AO. The two ladies at the rental office were very polite and apologized for me having a rough time of it etc. When it came down to the nitty gritty  Iwased what the deal was going to be wit hthe lease since I was obligated to give them 60 days written notice to vacate or have to pay them the 60 days rent any way ($2600). Since less than a day had passed the on site manager said that she would just charge me the $43 (one days rent) and they would send me a check in the mail for the rest. (Unfortunately, I did not get this in writing). Well I called back after 30 days and it seems the manager has moved on to another job and the other lady says that they got "audited" by corporate and that they couldn't give me my $ back. Not wanting to cause a problem in the future I remained polite and we finnished the conversation. She also told me that 1. "She lost $1000 too" which is BS---> 2. They IMMEDIATELY rented out the same apartment to someone else. which means she's full of shit AND lied to me. They didn't loose shit because someone else plunked down a grand for deposit/rent within a day or two! In hte end she said that they were going ot mail me a check for $43 (the cost on the rent on the ONE NIGHT I spent there). This whole situation is
fu(ked, so my question is what are my possible recourses? BTW they still haven't given me my security deposit back.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT from page 3. Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Pony-

I have a good friend that is a Landlord/Tenant attorney in NoVa. He might be able to help you. IM if interested. BTW - what management co/owner was it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#3]
IM sent, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Every state has different laws on this stuff, and often the cities do, too.

You may need an attorney familiar with leases in the area where the apatment is.  Also a careful reading of the lease will be helpful.

Don't give up on this - sounds like your positioon is pretty strong, except for the oral promise from the gal who isn't there any more.

If you can get someone else to politely ask  how to contact her or have them call her and have her phone you back, then maybe you have a witness.  Of course if she's somewhere else and the apartment people think it's about your issue, they may not have a mind to put the twoi of you in touch.

If she's gone it may be not all bad, she may have left questionning their ways of doing business.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top