Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 12:03:17 PM EDT
For two weeks I've been trying to come up with a name that fits me. (That Ringo thing didn't work out like I'd planned.) Last night at work I had a close call, and it hit me. I had just finished replacing a 345kv switch support insulator, turned in the clearance, and re-energized 500 foot of buss. When the breaker closed, about 75 other buss insulators started raising hell from the humidity and contamination!! (Sometimes these things blow like a huge grenade, throwing sharp porcelain glass hundreds feet in all directions.) In a transmission substation with that voltage, this is a very bad thing!! For a few seconds, I thought..."Man, I'm gonna' be an ugly corpse". I couldn't run, I was surrounded. Thank God after about 5 or 6 seconds, it all calmed down. I still had the adrenaline rush for the year, but I got to come home and see my family!!
After that, I thought, why did I pick this job!! That's when it hit me, I like it. It's what I do, and I'm basically a PowerSlave. My wife doesn’t care for my choice of careers, but she tolerates the long hours, and gets to spend my paycheck!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I guess if it had happened, you could have said I went out with a BANG!!!

[grenade]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
And here I thought you were an Iron Maiden fan [;)]

[url]http://www.ironmaiden.com/ironmaiden/discography/powerslave/index.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And here I thought you were an Iron Maiden fan [;)]

[url]http://www.ironmaiden.com/ironmaiden/discography/powerslave/index.asp[/url]
View Quote

You beat me to it.  I thought someone was trading the Beatles for Iron Maiden!  Good trade.

DrMark
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
RINGO:  I.E. POWERSLAVE:

if you kill yourself before the bbq tomorrow im gonna be pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a similar incident at work unloading a transport into our storage tanks (10,000 gallons of propane)  we had a guy out there painting them, me and the driver were at the back talking, this MORON walked up with a cigarette and had the balls to ask if propane was as flammable as paint thinner.

we dispersed and had to wonder just how much paint thinner that bastard had sniffed throughout his painting career
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Its nice to like your job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
SDavid,
I happen to love Iron Maiden!! The name is just a plus. I saw the somewhere in time tour, and they had to stop the show. Bruce Dickenson caught Eddie on fire a little too early. They picked up where they left off after it was under control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top