Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 11:58:41 PM EDT
Sitting her browseing the board I hear something outside squealing and whining.  I look out the window and in the parking lot behing my truck is a big owl wrestling with a skunk.  He flew away with it still squealing!

We live near a small woodlot and have lots of skunks.  I've heard the owls hooting sometimes but this bird is big as shit!  Now the whole place smells like skunk.  Had to close the window.  

I guess it was Great-Horned owl?  I know that they dine on skunks.  Way cool.  Actually while running last evening I saw that little fucker by the dumpster so I'm glad he got it.  they stink the place to high heaven.  I thought of some tuna cans with some antifreeze added might "control" the overpopulation of skunks around here as an AR is a bit much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't Nature cool?  You should see some of the stuff Bald Eagles can carry off.    
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Last fall I was getting ready to go bow hunting for the evening at my GP's place.  So I'm pissing off the back porch and all these little tweety birds are fluttering around on the tree right off of the porch I was standing on.  I see this bird flying real low across the yard coming from the woods lightning fast!  It swoops up under and grabs a little bird and flies away.  If I would have bliked I would have missed it!  I watched the bird fly off low level down through the woods.  I saw a similar bird chasing a grouse in flight 2 years ago.  From what I could determine they were Goshawks.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is PA?  That used to be home.  Well, it still is.  I just don't live there anymore.  I'm from just south of Gettysburg on the Penn-Mar line.  Saw a Eagle carry off one of the biggest snow shoe hares I have ever seen a few years ago.  

When I go trout fishing the Eagles will sit up in the trees and watch you.  I'll kill one and toss it back in the water just to watch the Eagle come down and take it.  They dive off of the pine trees with wings tucked at first.  They'll spread their wings open and drop the gear at the same time.  Then, Wham..... Hit the trout and back up to the trees.  I've been here for six years and that never gets old.

DG84
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in SE PA but the Goshawks were in Somerset, PA where my family is from.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Come to my place and listen to my wife's snooring.........now that's wild life!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't nature the neatest thing to watch? Really? TV and regular life get old real quick in the world that we live in. But the wilderness never changes, but always does at the same time. You get the chance to see an unadulterated view of the cycle of life by just going out and using your eyes. The best times I have had have been out in the woods and observing what is going on. You truly never know what you will see next. It may be boring or it may be exciting.

I know when I hunt there is so much to see while just sitting there, while doing so little. I know that I can sit and lean against a rock waiting for a deer to walk by, and all sorts of neat stuff happens. It may be small stuff, like observing the habits of a squirrel or watching birds fly around or something, but I still think its cool to observe nature in the wild. I look forward to what I may see every time i go hiking, hunting, or whatever.

My .02
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
when I was a kid, I watched a ptarodactyl carry off my Uncle Ralph.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Nature, they learn and adapt. Everytime I go to the farm and start my tractor to plow, the hawks start circleing. They wait for me to flush out a rabbit or rat, then dive and dine. Also not uncommon for a coyote to follow behind the tractor, at a respectable distance, and hunt. Neat to watch... fullclip

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top