Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2016 9:34:52 PM EDT
Ok so I am going to Kill Devil Hills 6/20-6/24. I will have my 2 yr old daughter and female companion with me...I'll be beating the beach up. What else to do? Where to eat? Beer to drink. Rather take advice from you guys then travel advisor.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The Wright Brothers Memorial as a really good water fountain down by the visitors center, although it can be lukewarm in warmer temps. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok...I'll be at the memorial then...what else people?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure to hit Frank's for some hot dogs at lunch. Kind of an old staple with lots of celebrity photos who have frequented. There's a good brewery, as well, but I can't recall the name. Sorry... I'm not much help
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been to Corolla several times.  Where you will be is more commercialized.  Lots of stores and attractions  

I can't speak to the restaurants but I know there are a bunch and a few brew houses.  You are close to the Wright Brothers Monument and also a Hugh sand dune (can't recall name).  

The beaches are great.  You can travel north, past Corolla, and see the horses if you have a 4wd.  Otherwise you can do an excursion.  

All the times I have been there it was pretty much beach, swimming, lighthouses and 4wd to see horses and explore.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
LOVE OBX.  Wright bros is sweet.  There is a good nature preserve but I can't remember the name of it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Tortugas Lie is a great eatery/bar.  Take a day and see some lighthouses like Cape Hatteras, Carrituck, bodie.  The beach is rough there so watch out with the 2 year old, rip tides are common.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Owens seafood restaurant in south Nags Head, on Route 12.

Another vote for Captain Frank's hot dogs.

ETA: you absolutely must try Duck Donuts (multiple locations)
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The lost colony play
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The Aquarium in Manteo is great well worth a trip with the kid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok thank you to all...I will be saving this thread for sure to check some of these spots and ideas out..
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Any surf fishing techniques...i was thinking of just throwing bucktails for some fluke..or whatever else bites. Im an avid fisherman just not from the surf. Should i chunk with something else?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Stack 'em High for pancakes!

Kittyhawk Kites, get yourself a bitchin' 2 line stunt kite, Ora single l8 e for you and the kid to do together.

Wright Memorial. If you're ever there Dec 16, you can attend the annual meeting of the Man Will Never Fly Society. There's always a tongue in cheek keynote address. No shock since their motto is "Birds fly. Men drink."
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Jockeys ridge is a sight to see, but the sand will melt your flip flops if you don't go in the morning time.  My son loves the hang gliders there
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Jockeys ridge sand dunes. Go after 7pm it gets hot.
Look for a 6 pack of weeping radish. The brewery used to
be in manteo.
Yeah that one
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jockeys ridge is a sight to see, but the sand will melt your flip flops if you don't go in the morning time.  https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11400989_1048003528561298_8791995174496088230_n.jpg?oh=a17ca49a0d7ac78c435eefae27b1fafb&oe=57C10341
View Quote

Copy that
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tortugas Lie is a great eatery/bar.  Take a day and see some lighthouses like Cape Hatteras, Carrituck, bodie.  The beach is rough there so watch out with the 2 year old, rip tides are common.
View Quote

Thanks for the info..she'll have bubbles on her arms then
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Any surf fishing techniques...i was thinking of just throwing bucktails for some fluke..or whatever else bites. Im an avid fisherman just not from the surf. Should i chunk with something else?
View Quote

Talk to the guys at any bait shop, they are usually more than happy to give you suggestions for what is in season. Make sure you get a tide chart. I also usually get the 10 day fishing license instead of the 3 day.

That aquarium, that was already suggested is wonderful, especially for kids. Make sure to go get a kite from Kitty Hawk Kites, OBX is known for their wind. When we go, we usually get a new kite shortly after arriving, get it flying and tie it to our walk way. It usually stays up the whole time we are there.

There are go cart tracks/water parks, fishing charters, para sailing, anything you can think of really. Some of it is a bit of a hike, but worth it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

By chunking I meant any other techniques as well..not just setting and forgetting bait.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Talk to the guys at any bait shop, they are usually more than happy to give you suggestions for what is in season. Make sure you get a tide chart. I also usually get the 10 day fishing license instead of the 3 day.

That aquarium, that was already suggested is wonderful, especially for kids. Make sure to go get a kite from Kitty Hawk Kites, OBX is known for their wind. When we go, we usually get a new kite shortly after arriving, get it flying and tie it to our walk way. It usually stays up the whole time we are there.

There are go cart tracks/water parks, fishing charters, para sailing, anything you can think of really. Some of it is a bit of a hike, but worth it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok so I am going to Kill Devil Hills 6/20-6/24. I will have my 2 yr old daughter and female companion with me...I'll be beating the beach up. What else to do? Where to eat? Beer to drink. Rather take advice from you guys then travel advisor.
View Quote

Currituck Light (near Corolla) and a Spanish mustang tour. The tour for the horses will take you on the part of NC 12 that is on the beach. Kinda cool seeing mile markers and highway signs in the sand mere yards from the surf...

I second the trip to Hatteras Light. On the way, stop at the Pea Island visitor center. There are usually some waterfowl around there. Not likely to keep the attention of a 2yo, but your female companion may enjoy it. There are parts of NC 12 going down that way where you are yards away from the Atlantic on one side and the Sound on the other.

The Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area has plenty of min-golf and other family activities, but again, not sure how entertaining they'll be for the younger one.

If you go to the aquarium, take a short stroll to the observation deck of the airport to see the banner tow planes at work. They also offer biplane rides there.

Beer: Look for Corolla Gold lager. Pretty good local brew (and it takes a good beer for this whisky drinker to partake) at the Weeping Radish on the landward side of the sound (a few miles before crossing over).
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll consign on the aquarium.

Ocracoke island is nice too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Currituck Light (near Corolla) and a Spanish mustang tour. The tour for the horses will take you on the part of NC 12 that is on the beach. Kinda cool seeing mile markers and highway signs in the sand mere yards from the surf...

I second the trip to Hatteras Light. On the way, stop at the Pea Island visitor center. There are usually some waterfowl around there. Not likely to keep the attention of a 2yo, but your female companion may enjoy it. There are parts of NC 12 going down that way where you are yards away from the Atlantic on one side and the Sound on the other.

The Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area has plenty of min-golf and other family activities, but again, not sure how entertaining they'll be for the younger one.

If you go to the aquarium, take a short stroll to the observation deck of the airport to see the banner tow planes at work. They also offer biplane rides there.

Beer: Look for Corolla Gold lager. Pretty good local brew (and it takes a good beer for this whisky drinker to partake) at the Weeping Radish on the landward side of the sound (a few miles before crossing over).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try and partake my whiskey drinking friend...for myself I need to stay away from the hard stuff
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]
There are a few breweries down there. One is in Manteo, the other is on RT-168 close to the end near Powell's Point. For food you have Pigman's BBQ, Food Dude's Kitchen, Stack 'em High for breakfast, and Tortugas.

For entertainment you have Jocky's Ridge, the Wright Memorial, the Cape Hatteras lighthouse, the aquarium in Manteo, and the Lost Colony also in Manteo.

I wouldn't bother going surf fishing if you don't already have a license. There are a few fishing piers down there you could try one of them.

I'm going down there the last week of June. I went in on a cottage down there with one of my friends, I live in SE VA so I'm pretty close to down there but it's still nice to visit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Is surf fishing not worth the hassle there?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Haven't been in 20 years but a place for seafood in Nag's Head is Sam & Ommies, on the beach road. Been there since around 1947 I think. They also have a bar ...  It's getting a little late for bluefish running but when they are you can catch them on anything shiny you toss out there. If you do catch any, be sure to cut their tails off immediately and let them flop around and sling the blood out, takes a lot of the gamey taste out. Bodie Island lighthouse used to be fun to check out, they had a hunting boat from the early 1900's with a "punt" gun in it - for commercially hunting ducks and geese. This "shotgun" was huge and pointed off the bow, you moved the boat to aim it. They loaded shot, nails, rocks etc. in it ... It's fun to watch the fishing fleet come into Oregon Inlet every day, can watch them offload and sell their catches at the docks. Some mighty beautiful fishing boats.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Hatteras lighthouse
Wright brothers memorial
Kitty Hawk Kites (the one in Nag's Head/Kitty Hawk)
Jockey's Ridge
The Lost Colony
Aquarium in Manteo
4WD beach on Corolla (you can rent Jeeps in Kill Devil Hills - or you could a couple years ago) - go look for some wild horses, fins a secluded spot near the VA border and enjoy!
Sunset Slush
Frank's hot dogs
Shopping at Scarborough Fair in Duck if the lady is into it
Blue Point Restaurant in Duck (pricey)
There's terrific BBQ joint in Corolla near the horse preservation joint. I think it's Corolla Village BBQ. It's fun watching the chickens run around your feet while you eat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a house in Nags Head.

My three top local restaurants are :
1) Blue Moon
2) Tortugas Lie
3) Bad Bean

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

It can be frustrating, but I certainly think it is worth it. Some years I get skunked, other years are glorious.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hatteras lighthouse
Wright brothers memorial
Jockey's Ridge
The Lost Colony
Aquarium in Manteo
4WD beach on Corolla (you can rent Jeeps in Kill Devil Hills - or you could a couple years ago)
Sunset Slush
Frank's hot dogs

View Quote

Yeah. The lady likes to shop to say the least so thank you..maybe I'll send her there and go fish and drink on the beach
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It can be frustrating, but I certainly think it is worth it. Some years I get skunked, other years are glorious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any tips? Tactics?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah. The lady likes to shop to say the least so thank you..maybe I'll send her there and go fish and drink on the beach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hatteras lighthouse
Wright brothers memorial
Jockey's Ridge
The Lost Colony
Aquarium in Manteo
4WD beach on Corolla (you can rent Jeeps in Kill Devil Hills - or you could a couple years ago)
Sunset Slush
Frank's hot dogs

There's a really nice pier in Nag's Head. You can walk over to it while waiting for your seat at Sam and Omie's.

Oregon Inlet is worth the trip when the fishing boats are coming in. Well, it was when I was a kid and we were broke.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That depends. Do you already have all of the gear? Do you have a license? do you want to drag all of that stuff down the beach?

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Any tips? Tactics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any tips? Tactics?

Listen to the guys at the bait shop. Cast your line as far out as you can, preferably past the wave break. Keep at it, don't get discouraged. Go out early in the morning after low tide is at it's lowest, for your best chances.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Just went a few weeks ago.

Did the hang gliding off of the dunes at Jockey's Ridge. Lots of fun if you've never tried that.

Lighthouses, Hatteras is the big one. Bodie is closer, but they have recent structure issues with the stairs and are limiting the tours to like 8 people every half hour. Early morning should get you in if you want to climb.

Horses north of Corolla: if you have a 4WD, do this. It was awesome. We saw something like 15 horses. I'll put up a pic when photobucket works again (seems broked right now).

Wright Brothers memorial obviously.

Kayaking in a few spots, the Alligator River being my favorite. Probably not for the younger one though.

Hiking in the Nags Head Woods Preserve, some nice trails through coastal woods and swamps.

For food, Tortuga's Lie is good, and the Black Pelican was the favorite nicer dinner.

ETA: Went to the Manteo aquarium a few years back last time we were there, it was nice, but closed this time due to renovations. Don't know if its open again yet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh yeah, Coquina Beach is a very nice beach away from the houses, but not too far south.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Listen to the guys at the bait shop. Cast your line as far out as you can, preferably past the wave break. Keep at it, don't get discouraged. Go out early in the morning after low tide is at it's lowest, for your best chances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any tips? Tactics?

Ok will do...to the other guys..I do have gear.. rugs and bait I'll have to buy accordingly
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Rigs not rugs...
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
We're headed to Duck in mid July w/ my 5 year old and 7 year old daughters.  Tag for later.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I live here...or there I mean.

JK,s steakhouse is a must dinner night.
Weeping Radish brewery in Grandy for a good beer and food
Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills, good beer and food

Talk to the guys at the bait shops for what's what a d where and when...TW,s in Kitty Hawk.

For a good cold Sammich Stop and Shop at Colington, Rd on the beach...also bait and tackle, flip flops and sunglasses shop.

Our beaches are about eroded away...when and if I do go to the beach I go to Carova 4wd area.

Don't drink and drive...we have come on vacation leave on probation problem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Pretty much everything has been covered but I'll throw in my endorsements.

Seeing the wild horses in Carova
Duck donuts (the one actually in Duck)
Black Pelican (it was on Diners drivins and dives I think, I love it)
Obviously Wright Bros and the sand dunes are fun
There use to be an awesome kite shop across of jockeys Ridge, I use to always get a kite there and fly it with my nieces/nephews.

That pretty much sums it up for the duck/corolla area.

I also highly, highly recommend Ocracoke Island if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Duck Donuts, the real one, in Duck.
It's across from the Scarborough Fair shopping area, score the worlds best donuts while the woman is checking out the boring shops there.

Someone help me- which was the brewery with the windmill? It's been a few years.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#42]
If you or your kids are into monster trucks, the Grave Digger headquarters isn't too far away.  They have a lot of the old trucks and of course, a gift shop.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#43]
OBX activity list:
Go to beach
Get drunk
Go to souvenir shop
Eat greasy food
Get drunk
Pass out
Repeat
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That depends. Do you already have all of the gear? Do you have a license? do you want to drag all of that stuff down the beach?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isnt, obx surf fishing is not like NJ NY RI MASS surf fishing

I wouldn't bother

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish I could remember the breakfast place that my wife and I hit one morning there.  It was a kitschy place on the seaboard side of the main road.  When we walked in there were all sorts of little world peace/love/hippie sayings painted on the interior walls, but the food was good.  Also while you're there, spend the money, and take your lady friend to the Black Pelican.  I think their scale is off for the meat though.  I had their "Captain's Prime Rib" which was supposed to be 16 oz.  The cut of meat on my plate was closer to double that.  My wife absolutely loved her seafood dish (don't ask me I don't remember what she had).
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Dude..the Outer Banks is/are dead.  The Federal Park Service killed it years ago.  There are much better beaches out there that are a lot more fun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Drive on the beach up in Duck/Corrola.

Go to the deli and tell hot vacationers the joys of entenmanns.........You'll get laid.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Duck Donuts, the real one, in Duck.

It's across from the Scarborough Fair shopping area, score the worlds best donuts while the woman is checking out the boring shops there.

Someone help me- which was the brewery with the windmill? It's been a few years.
View Quote

That's Outer Banks Brewing Station.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Basnight's Lone Cedar  Cafe in Nags  Head  just before you cross bridge into Manteo was recommended   to me years ago by a local for seafood and it's very  nice, with nice views of the sound. Manteo has some garden tours that are really nice, but not sure if kids would stay interested . Another vote for Duck Donuts, especially the maple icing and bacon.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I grew up there the jolly Rodger and Carolina seafood are a must
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top