Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 6:22:56 PM EDT
Why is it that Local and State LEO's can enforce Federal Gun Laws, but not Federal Immigration Laws?

This is not ment as a slam I truely would like to know. I have asked the Local Leo's and none of them could really explain it.

AdTechArms
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why is it that Local and State LEO's can enforce Federal Gun Laws, but not Federal Immigration Laws?

This is not ment as a slam I truely would like to know. I have asked the Local Leo's and none of them could really explain it.

AdTechArms
View Quote

I'm a little confused here,  what federal firearms laws are you talking about?  I know of no authority to enforce ANY kind of Federal gun law given to the local level.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is an example,

Cop sees you at a range with a Machine Gun, he arrests you. He is enforceing federal law.

Cop pulls over an Illegal alien, alien says I"I am illegal" cop can't do anything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Illegals are special people who deserve special protection and support.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is an example,

Cop sees you at a range with a Machine Gun, he arrests you. He is enforceing federal law.

Cop pulls over an Illegal alien, alien says I"I am illegal" cop can't do anything.
View Quote

A local cop will not be arresting you at the range for possessing a machine gun unless it violates a state law. Local police do not have the authoirity to enforce Federal law.

That applies to ANY federal law.  Immigration,  gun laws, enviromental laws, etc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Who says local police cannot enforce immigration laws?

The house-worker of one of my very close freinds was stopped at a road-block in chicago (on vacation, she wasnt the one driving), and got arrested because she was an illegal (We only found both out when she called). That was something like a month and a half ago, she was put in an immigation jail, and should be in Ukraine by now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is an example,

View Quote

A local cop will not be arresting you at the range for possessing a machine gun unless it violates a state law. Local police do not have the authoirity to enforce Federal law.

That applies to ANY federal law.  Immigration,  gun laws, enviromental laws, etc.
View Quote

You can bet your ass the local guy will be calling the feds to make the arrest for the MG but more than likely they wont be calling INS for the illegal. Thats his point and its fucked up that cops have selective enforcement when presented with a clear violation. Not cool enough violation for them maybe?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the USC gives sworn state and local officers the authority to enforce many federal laws, including most of the criminal laws.

Most local LE agencies have policies in place against using immigration laws as the sole basis for detention, arrest or investigation. This is a matter of political pressure and is wrong in some respects. It is also changing rapidly in the wake of 9-11. The feds are also getting smarter about how they do it. For example, while local policies may forbid arresting somebody for immigration violations, the feds have started getting warrants for immigration violators and entering them into the computer. Local officers are usually bound by state law to serve warrants, so it gives them a convenient "out" and a way to enforce the law without running afoul of the political aspects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top