Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 9:12:33 AM EDT
the AW ban likely sunsets next year and should completely change the picture for the used firearm buy/sell industry.

By eliminating the ban, all "pre-ban" configurations come back as new prodcut offerings, thereby eliminating the collector premium currently placed on such set ups.

Today, a well kept pre-ban fetches around $2,500 for a weapon that sells retail for around $1,000. Once the restrictions are lifted, so should the premium be.

As for the likelyhood of this ban sunsetting, it looks pretty good for us.

Consider the Presidents stated position of being "against" lifting the ban. This is smoke and actually encouraging, since he can pick up some of the anti-gun votes by saying this,  plus those "in the know" that realize he will never be asked, nor required to rule on the subject. The matter will be settled in the pro-gun congress long before he needs to get involved. It is pure political genius on his part. He would only publically state a position opposed to this if he had a significant feel for the outcome of the bill

So, affordable combinations of collapsable stocks, 30 rnd. mags, flash-hiders, and even bayo-lugs should be on the shelves soon after this ridiculous idea is behind us.

I marvel at the power and influence our lobby has. Lets continue to do whatever we can to continue our support for the cause.

after all it makes our interests more affordable in an ever increasingly hard to pay for world.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If the magazine bans go away as well we'll probably see renewed interest in classic Glocks like the G-17. Right now $100 hi-cap magazines make those pistols impractical for anyone who didn't already own them at the time of the ban. That, plus the CCW movement, drove everyone to smaller pistols with bigger rounds.

New rifle designs have been limited by the need for compatibility with existing mags. The AR-180B, AR-10, and RobArm M-96 all probably would have used custom mags if they had had a choice in the matter.

There may be some new interest in using the bayonet mount to hold stuff like tactical lights.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
In my 3+ years on this board, I don't think that I have seen a picture of a bayonet actually attached to an AR or even an M16. Thinking back, I don't think that I have ever in my life seen one. My 4yrs and 4 months in the Air Force never provided me opportunity to see one but that is no surprise, is it? Strange!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
[:D]

[fingerscrossed] [<]:)] [?fingerscrossed]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
By eliminating the ban, all "pre-ban" configurations come back as new prodcut offerings, thereby eliminating the collector premium currently placed on such set ups.
View Quote

I disagree.  Do most people buy pre-ban AR-15s so they can have the extra "features" or do they buy them because they are a semi-rare firearm?  If the AW Ban goes away, those rifles are still going to be semi-rare and demand a premium.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree.  Do most people buy pre-ban AR-15s so they can have the extra "features" or do they buy them because they are a semi-rare firearm?  If the AW Ban goes away, those rifles are still going to be semi-rare and demand a premium.
View Quote

I can tell you why I want a pre-ban. The flash suppresor, and the collapsable stock. THere are two things that make an AR look right if it's not a carbine, having the FS on it, if it is a carbine the colapsable stock and flash suppresor at least to me. The one thing i don't really like about my post-ban carbine is the damn muzzel break, it just don't look right. without the FS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#6]
   I believe in nostalgia, and I would love to have some of the "pre bans" (pre '94) I've sold in the past back, but as far as owning and shooting an AR-15, it comes down to quality, and desire. I want a "pre ban configuration" weapon, but it's not that important to me to have an actual pre ban. Not important enough to spend an extra 1000 or 1500 dollars for it. I think most people are going to agree, and prices on pre-bans will become much more reasonable.   Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
There won't be Pre-ban's anymore though.  Federally speaking.  Having a properly equipped CAR-15 style or M4 style ar15 will no longer cost an extra $800 or so.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many people are going to come out, the hour after the ban sunsets, and post how they never obeyed the ban the whole time and that whoever did were a bunch of pu**ys!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top